HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Vancouver's in a league of its own, with Toronto being the only city that surpasses it.

Ottawa will never have anything as impressive as Vancouver's Downtown Peninsula, not even when LeBreton Flats is built out.
Oh for sure there's a height limit in Vancouver so would be second or third to Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 1:04 AM

thanks for specifying that earlier post was Waterloo. Almost had it mistaken for Pyongyang.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 2:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranes View Post
Waterloo - King Street between Central & Columbia

Video Link

I'm getting some shacks-by-the-stacks vibes.
It is great to see KW growing up. Alas, I see but a single pedestrian on the streets in those canyon shots.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 2:49 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Wow, I see the best candidate for a Simcity mockup in real life in Canada.
It blows my mind how recent it was to see subdivisions here.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 4:50 PM
Look at me!

[/QUOTE]

Awesome shot!

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 5:02 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Oh for sure there's a height limit in Vancouver so would be second or third to Toronto.
Are you saying that were it not for the height limit, Vancouver's skyline would be superior to Toronto's?

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Love Vancouver, but the skyline ranks maybe fourth in Canada, after Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary (some, perhaps many would switch the order of Calgary and Montreal, which is fine, but I love Montreal's classic 1960s skyscrapers and the layers of older (1920s-30s) skyscrapers juxtaposed with the newer towers).

Toronto's is of course, numero uno.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Love Vancouver, but the skyline ranks maybe fourth in Canada, after Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary (some, perhaps many would switch the order of Calgary and Montreal, which is fine, but I love Montreal's classic 1960s skyscrapers and the layers of older (1920s-30s) skyscrapers juxtaposed with the newer towers).

Toronto's is of course, numero uno.
No way, Vancouver has Calgary beat 8 days a week IMO!

So much more depth and density. Calgary's got a couple cool signature towers but Vancouver has some beautiful architecture in the last few years. Bow just doesn't do it for me either

Also, anyone who even ponders a switch between Calgary and Montreal needs to get their eyes checked. A cluster of late 90's early 00's modern styled towers will never compare to the 60+ years of skyscraping beauty that MTL has to offer.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:28 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm 100% with Molson on this one. The only way Vancouver looks like it has more layers and depth to me is from aerial shots which I consider a separate issue from skyline. But I agree Vancouver does look cooler from aerials.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 7:30 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I love skyline opinions. Everyone's is a bit different.

For me, Toronto is the clear #1, of course, but #2 is Calgary for me. I just like its shape and massing.

#3 was Vancouver, but Montreal's new skyline has really grown on me, so I'd probably put it ahead of Vancouver's right now.

So yeah, my #4 is also Vancouver, but with the way all of our cities are growing, it could be a totally different list in a few years.

Anyway, glad you guys like the Vancouver aerial.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 7:39 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm 100% with Molson on this one. The only way Vancouver looks like it has more layers and depth to me is from aerial shots which I consider a separate issue from skyline. But I agree Vancouver does look cooler from aerials.

Vancouver actually has a pretty impressive stock of pre-war towers given its age & size, which Calgary...doesn't. Plus the bridges & port facilities. So objectively, it does have more layering & depth in terms of built heritage & variety. It's also got more dense mid-rise development surrounding the skyline, higher-profile contemporary towers, and is a larger/denser collection of buildings. It's shorter though, of course.

Still, Vancouver is an easy #2 for me. Aside from the above reasons, it's also just very photogenic. Whoever thought to plunk a skyline onto that peninsula there sure was on to something.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 8:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

To be clear, my comment about Vancouver's layers wasn't about what does or doesn't exist; it was just about what is or isn't visible in most skyline shots.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Vancouver actually has a pretty impressive stock of pre-war towers given its age & size, which Calgary...doesn't. Plus the bridges & port facilities. So objectively, it does have more layering & depth in terms of built heritage & variety. It's also got more dense mid-rise development surrounding the skyline, higher-profile contemporary towers, and is a larger/denser collection of buildings. It's shorter though, of course.

Still, Vancouver is an easy #2 for me. Aside from the above reasons, it's also just very photogenic. Whoever thought to plunk a skyline onto that peninsula there sure was on to something.
Very little of that pre-war stock in visible in Vancouver's skyline.

I would rank them Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary. Edmonton is catching up with Calgary.

Canyons, I'd say Toronto, Vancouver, maybe Calgary, Ottawa. Montreal has a lot of space between towers, canyons are broken by parks and plazas.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 8:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

I would rank them Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary. Edmonton is catching up with Calgary.

Canyons, I'd say Toronto, Vancouver, maybe Calgary, Ottawa. Montreal has a lot of space between towers, canyons are broken by parks and plazas.
Montreal has one of the most bad-assed canyons in the country on Rene-Levesque. Another great one is along McGill College.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 8:53 PM

Entry to the North side of the lower Yonge Street canyon.

Yonge Street by Jack Landau, on Flickr

TD by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 2, 2023 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Montreal has one of the most bad-assed canyons in the country on Rene-Levesque. Another great one is along McGill College.
Certainly, they have a few impressive ones, but it's not wall to wall across the entire CBD like other cities. In Ottawa, it's the shear uniformity across 6x5 blocks (soon 7x5).

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Are you saying that were it not for the height limit, Vancouver's skyline would be superior to Toronto's?
Height wise, it would at least be on par. The real estate market has been very lucrative in downtown Vancouver for high end condos, so there would easily be many 900' to 1000' plus residential towers in dt Vancouver if not for the very restrictive height restrictions.

Toronto's downtown tower cluster is larger than that of Vancouver's downtown peninsula, but the Broadway Corridor will build up in the next 20 years at the same rate that Vancouver's downtown peninsula grew between 1990 and 2010. When the Broadway Corridor fills out, it will be hard to distinguish much difference between Toronto and Vancouver.

There is some hope for taller buildings as well, based on what the new mayor said when he was elected - the tallest buildings in Metro Vancouver belong in Downtown Vancouver. He indicated he is willing to break through height restrictions, so we will likely see some 900' plus towers in the near future (based on what is being built in Burnaby).

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 12:34 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
To be clear, my comment about Vancouver's layers wasn't about what does or doesn't exist; it was just about what is or isn't visible in most skyline shots.
Quote:

Depends on the angle, of course. The False Creek view, no; but the view from the east gives a better view of some of the older towers on the eastern end of downtown.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...reet-vancouver

There's also the West End view, with its layers of 50s & 60s towers & mid-rises. Toronto & Montreal are the only other Canadian cities that have this level of built diversity in their high-rises.

https://www.alamy.it/foto-immagine-i...-75839773.html

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 12:36 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Toronto's downtown tower cluster is larger than that of Vancouver's downtown peninsula, but the Broadway Corridor will build up in the next 20 years at the same rate that Vancouver's downtown peninsula grew between 1990 and 2010. When the Broadway Corridor fills out, it will be hard to distinguish much difference between Toronto and Vancouver.

Again you're comparing future Vancouver to present-day Toronto (or Montreal, etc). It's not as if Toronto's skyline is going to be growing any slower than Vancouver's for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 12:40 AM

It's going to be growing much faster really.

So much of Vancouver's growth is focused outside of the downtown peninsula.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada