HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 7:25 PM

I was in Sugar House about a week ago and the Sugar Alley rebuild is coming along nicely. I was surprised on how much has been completed. The Alta Terra project seems to be moving a lot slower.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 8:52 PM

It's falcon season.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 11:20 PM
of SLC

That's a huge bi....

falcon.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 12:21 AM
Lahaina Strong

Shenanigans

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 1:07 AM
Space Magi

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 1:56 AM

Great pictures of Astra and Worthington, Atlas!!!!

Are there going to be any tours of astra anytime soon?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:27 AM

Nice photo dump.

Worthington has better proportions than any thing else built here in the last 30 years (granted I really don’t love the massive footprint). It doesn’t look squat despite being small. Most of our high rises look half as tall as they actually are because they’re all so fat, 99 west is the only real exception. Big plus is that Worthington actually looks like the renderings.. I think it’s getting a 6/10 from me.

Last edited by Rileybo; Mar 30, 2024 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:33 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
The Sugar House City Council Projects Progress Report on March 27 would seem to indicate that there has been noticeable progress on these two major projects since the last updates in November. If anyone in the Sugar House area cares to share a few picture updates it would be much appreciated. :tup

Sugar Alley:

Alta Terra:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 4:10 AM
Engineer

It's tricky to get pics of the skyline from the south. Worthington, 95 State, and Astra especially appear slender looking north.

But skyline is looking much broader from the south now, awful pics notwithstanding.

Tried to edit out some power lines but ran out of time. Also from a little higher elevation this viewpoint would be gold:

Hurried pic as I crossed State Street, with Astra and 95 State framing the Capitol nicely and Taco Time filling in a gap in the skyline:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 1:31 PM

Thanks guys for the great photo update! Especially thanks to Paniolo Man for coming through with those pics of Sugar Alley and Alta Terra. Sugar Alley has made some great recovery progress these past two or three months. Also, I think the slower go on Alta Terra is understandable given the mess they were thrown by the failure of Marker Line. Looks like they're on the right track now though.

Astra looks fantastic from the south and east. I have no problem being patient with the upcoming west highrise addition and a north facing mural.

Looking at this photo makes me think it's high time that UTA instituted an attractive frequent schedule bus route loop from a sensible southerly point on State. Frequency would be an absolute requirement and tied to the rider, convention/hotel, and office-goer schedules. The buses could even be unigue to Salt Lake City, attractive and whimsical like something vintage classic or turn of the century vibe, maybe even double-decker. London's buses are around 14' high and the standard traffic light is 18'. The loop would depend on working in tandem with the city to strongly promote residential mid to highrise street-level commercial density fronting State St and W. Temple. Push the southerly developments a couple of blocks at a time if necessary until a development boom catches on. It doesn't have to encompass as many miles as say No. Temple to the airport. The bus route would be frequent, particularly following user patterns for those developments on State St. and W. Temple, whether the developments are residential, or mixed-use such as residential/tourist hotels. etc. The route would travel north up State, head west on 1st South, and turn south on West Temple to begin with, making convenient pickup and dropoff stops for residents and tourists alike. Bottom line, there needs to be a legitimate financial reason that the city and developers can feel enthusiasm for and finally push attractive revitalization of State St. and W. Temple, much in somewhat of the same way that North Temple has exploded. We've seen what convenient transit and cooperative City/State planning can do. Both State and W. Temple pose incredible potential for mixed-use development market sales and rental rates that span affordable-to-market-to-luxury. There are plenty of urban dwellers who now live along the Wasatch front who would prefer a vibrant, dense, exciting downtown environment along State or W. Temple if only given an attractive development and convenient mass-transit. There's no reason W. Temple and State Street's beauty and vibrancy can't be extended southward from say 1st South to 800 South sooner than later, not 20 to 50 years from now.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 30, 2024 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Worthington is tacky and will be outdated in no time.
I don’t think worthington looks that bad. Maybe it is tacky compared to buildings in other cities, but we’re in SLC and it’s not bad for SLC standards. Looks pretty good in Atlas’s photos and in person

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 4:39 PM
high-floor train enjoyer

Both the Worthington and the Astra look good in my eyes, even the blank wall looks pretty cool, in a dystopian sort of way, but I do hope it gets some sort of mural eventually.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 5:21 PM

I actually really like the Worthington. It looks awesome. And it's spreading downtown towers to the east.

Astra is a big meh for me.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Capitol nicely and Taco Time filling in a gap in the skyline:
I can't look at this without thinking it's from the 70s or so, looks like a throwback photo to me. Maybe it's the pawn shop and older looking light poles.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 5:54 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
and Taco Time filling in a gap in the skyline:
I like the Taco Time sign the most.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 12:10 AM

I actually really like Worthington. I still think it looks a little bit squat, but I think it's one of the most unique skyscrapers we have in our city. I especially like how it looks from the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I can't look at this without thinking it's from the 70s or so, looks like a throwback photo to me. Maybe it's the pawn shop and older looking light poles.
State Street is definitely in need of some serious help once you get south of about 500 South. This is an area that I hope sees some serious improvement over the next decade, but it seems to be development void.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 12:39 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I actually really like Worthington. I still think it looks a little bit squat, but I think it's one of the most unique skyscrapers we have in our city. I especially like how it looks from the west.

State Street is definitely in need of some serious help once you get south of about 500 South. This is an area that I hope sees some serious improvement over the next decade, but it seems to be development void.

As some others have said, State Street has been a disaster for decades. I can attest to that. I'm 54. State is a perennial dumpster fire. The buildings between state and main are mostly trash all the way to 45'th street IMO. Car lots galore, seedy businesses, drug addicts, etc. Not an inviting scenario coming into the city from the south. I remember working for Fidelity Investments in the mid 90's. I used to park where the Grand America is now. I would walk from there onto state. I remember being solicited by working ladies at least three times. In 1997, a 10 year old pusher was standing on state and 400 South begging me to buy dope from him. State seems to be cursed.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
As some others have said, State Street has been a disaster for decades. I can attest to that. I'm 54. State is a perennial dumpster fire. The buildings between state and main are mostly trash all the way to 45'th street IMO. Car lots galore, seedy businesses, drug addicts, etc. Not an inviting scenario coming into the city from the south. I remember working for Fidelity Investments in the mid 90's. I used to park where the Grand America is now. I would walk from there onto state. I remember being solicited by working ladies at least three times. In 1997, a 10 year old pusher was standing on state and 400 South begging me to buy dope from him. State seems to be cursed.
Yeah, it's a really weird area. Not sure if and how it will ever get fixed but I agree that it's seedy and has been for my whole life as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Shenanigans

Worthington looks sweet, need more that look like this, less blank wall designs. Please Developers...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 8:08 PM

K

Last edited by MountainSkyline; Apr 10, 2024 at 2:58 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West