HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 10:02 PM

Don't think so, thanks.

There's also a SFU UniverCity thread.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:44 AM

Hmmm - a small tower proposed near Royal Oak south of Kingsway:

http://www.ifortunehomes.com/project/royal-oak-grimmer/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It's got to be pretty early in the process - there's no mention of it in the Burnaby Major Development Projects yet. At a guess I'd say that's the south west corner of Grimmer and Royal Oak - west of Royal Oak is still part of Metrotown and can have some height, while east is all low rise and pretty much built out.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
]It's got to be pretty early in the process - there's no mention of it in the Burnaby Major Development Projects yet. At a guess I'd say that's the south west corner of Grimmer and Royal Oak - west of Royal Oak is still part of Metrotown and can have some height, while east is all low rise and pretty much built out.

It's there.

It's number 96 under the Metrotown section (the last entry in the Metrotown section) and not Royal Oak(even though the site is clearly in Royal Oak area right ON Royal Oak), and it says that rezoning has been initiated, so my guess is they've applied for rezoning and are currently in the process of applying for a Development permit.

I'm surprised that they are allowing anything higher than a 6 or 4 storey Lowrise that far east from Metrotown or that far South for Kingsway (assuming rezoning is granted, that is), but I guess Burnaby is really pushing for more density if that's the case.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:32 AM

Personally a real fan of the retail frontage going in these Royal Oak towers.

Ron.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
It's there.

It's number 96 under the Metrotown section (the last entry in the Metrotown section) and not Royal Oak(even though the site is clearly in Royal Oak area right ON Royal Oak), and it says that rezoning has been initiated, so my guess is they've applied for rezoning and are currently in the process of applying for a Development permit.

I'm surprised that they are allowing anything higher than a 6 or 4 storey Lowrise that far east from Metrotown or that far South for Kingsway (assuming rezoning is granted, that is), but I guess Burnaby is really pushing for more density if that's the case.
96 is townhouses at Sanders and Royal Oak (north of Kingsway) - not this one.

The 'Metrotown area' goes to Royal Oak and includes the west side of the street. East of that is the 'Royal Oak area' and almost everything that's been built nearby recently has been 4 stories with the ground floor being retail.

It's not as far away as you think. Royal Oak Station is a 4 min walk, Kingsway is a 2 min walk and The Bay at Metrotown is a 10 min walk (basing the times on the intersection of Royal Oak and Grimmer).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:21 PM

From Porte twitter:
View facing west from 6th floor of Madison & Dawson.
[Picture Gilmore Place right in the middle of that view]

https://twitter.com/portegroup

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

http://www.ifortunehomes.com/project/royal-oak-grimmer/
So it looks like Royal Oak will be a real nice urban street in the near future, more so than most other Vancouver streets. Fingers crossed it has commercial fronting (which zoning permits).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
So it looks like Royal Oak will be a real nice urban street in the near future, more so than most other Vancouver streets. Fingers crossed it has commercial fronting (which zoning permits).
From the link

Quote:
New mixed use project with street fronting retail and residential tower in the developing Metrotown area close to shops and transit.
Ron

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:47 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned before (and if it was it would have been awhile ago) - BCEHS Buller Ambulance Centre. "The new facility consolidates two former ambulance stations in Vancouver and New Westminster, and a Special Operations facility in North Delta." Renders and info here.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned before (and if it was it would have been awhile ago) - BCEHS Buller Ambulance Centre. "The new facility consolidates two former ambulance stations in Vancouver and New Westminster, and a Special Operations facility in North Delta." Renders and info here.
They are already doing foundation work on this, the two former stations are
New West 260 which have been using rooms at the Best Western on Kingsway since their 12th st location was damaged in a flood a few years back
and 246 that was using the old Ramada on Kingsway, following the Wall Centre Central Park redevelopment.

Might see more of these types of station amalgamations here as they've done so in Victoria.

Ron.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
They are already doing foundation work on this, the two former stations are
New West 260 which have been using rooms at the Best Western on Kingsway since their 12th st location was damaged in a flood a few years back
and 246 that was using the old Ramada on Kingsway, following the Wall Centre Central Park redevelopment.

Might see more of these types of station amalgamations here as they've done so in Victoria.

Ron.
Wow that looks great. Good to see that the medics are finally getting a nice proper base. The former "bases" were so ghetto. Who thinks that a hotel room is an appropriate ambulance base? Paramedics actually save lives regularly and they get treated so shitty with respect to compensation and working conditions.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO View Post
Wow that looks great. Good to see that the medics are finally getting a nice proper base. The former "bases" were so ghetto. Who thinks that a hotel room is an appropriate ambulance base? Paramedics actually save lives regularly and they get treated so shitty with respect to compensation and working conditions.
My brother works out of the North Delta location and has heard they'll be moving in Dec 2018.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO View Post
Just look at the dump they were at before, the Best Western was an upgrade

Quote:
My brother works out of the North Delta location and has heard they'll be moving in Dec 2018.
Small world, must of been a busy summer for him with the amount of ee's heading from Nordel up to the interior for wild fire specops

Ron.

Last edited by Tetsuo; Sep 14, 2017 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:10 AM

Milano Today:

my pics.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:05 AM

I'm liking the dark spandrel and mullions.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:13 PM

I like it too. I like how there's no vertical spandrel strips. If there's no windows then they have concrete

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:16 PM

That shows they thought about the exterior and interior designs at the same time. Withe the buildings with spandrel, it's like they do it separately and add spandrel strips wherever an interior wall hits the window wall.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:19 PM

Walking down to Milano I realized it's surrounded by only industrial buildings. Sort of seems like a weird location but I guess I can see the area starting to change over the next 5-10 years.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:21 PM

didn't a huge section of it just sell for a load of money?

I worked in the area for a number of years, around the time the condos started going up on beta and dawson area. It seemed kinda weird that they were getting built there at the time too. But its slowly coming together as it changes over to residential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley