HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:56 AM

I've long felt Salt Lake City proper should be everything inside of interstate 215. Would make us appear so much larger on pape r while changing absolutely nothing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
I also just associate the entire Wasatch Front as a single metro area which makes SLC's population even more hilariously small, I get why in the past Ogden-SLC-Provo were separate metro areas, but nowadays the entire front seems much more united, likely because of sprawl, so I think it might make more sense to combine at least Weber-Davis-Salt Lake-Utah counties, maybe Tooele as well, into a single metro area with Summit and Wasatch counties being part of the CSA. That makes more sense to me than the current arrangement, but I'm not exactly an expert of this topic.
The sprawl of the last 20 years has made the division between cities invisible, however as someone who lives in Salt Lake and does business in Ogden… Ogden is still very separate from SLC. Man I remember when Sandy felt like a whole separate entity in the valley it crazy.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:51 PM

Oh Well, I was kind of hoping that townships like Magna would eventually be incorporated into Salt Lake City. Does anyone know what Salt Lake City envisions as its eventual buildout population? I imagine it could be fairly substantial if it continued to urbanize as it has over the past ten years, especially on the west side. Hmm, will Salt Lake reach at least the 300,000-plus mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Hello Mr. Schmoe,

I believe you had said that construction of the adjacent hotel would start when Astra was completed. Is this still the case?

Thank you. (This message will repeat regularly until answered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
I heard from an invested party that the owner of the parcel on which the hotel is meant to go has backed out and may be putting the parcel up for sale. Hearsay, granted.
Could be the developer (Dakota Pacific) is choosing to put their primary resources into their very large Park City Tech Center development. They've been fighting with Park City on getting that major development up and going for a number of years now. I've lost count how many times they've been told to go back to the drawing board. However, they seem to be determined to adjust their iterations until Park City says yes.

Dakota Pacific will return with new options for Tech Center as it navigates county restrictions - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/dako...record-roundup

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 12:02 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Oh Well, I was kind of hoping that townships like Magna would eventually be incorporated into Salt Lake City. Does anyone know what Salt Lake City envisions as its eventual buildout population? I imagine it could be fairly substantial if it continued to urbanize as it has over the past ten years, especially on the west side. Hmm, will Salt Lake reach at least the 300,000-plus mark?
Speaking as somebody who grew up in Magna, I'm incredibly please it's not. We'd be a forgotten exclave of the city and get zero concern from the city council.

Just look at the disaster of the City of Los Angeles. Size isn't everything. And the entire San Fernando Valley (roughly the population of the Wasatch Front) is completely ignored by a very broken city council.

If we want Utah to "look big," we should focus on getting the Census Bureau to merge the SLC-Ogden MSA with the Provo MSA.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 2:49 PM

Does anyone have in your photos the completion of this one or perhaps could take a couple of pics if your in this neighborhood?
Downtown Update - TAG 343

DETAILS
- Building Size: 45 Apartment Units
- Lot Size: 0.25 Acres
- Studio, 1 and 2 Bedroom Units
- 6 Stories
- Developed by TAG SLC: 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
...TAG has broken ground on their new 6-story residential building called TAG 343. Located at 343 S 400 E directly across where their previously announced 11-story building is proposed. https://www.tagslc.com/portfolio_page/tag-343/
May 15th

Photos from their Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAL39vSp...=1977gleo69abd

June 29, 2020
At 343 S 400 E, TAG SLC is beginning a 45-unit apartment project.

Pics By Luke Garrott @BuildingSaltLake.com

February 25, 2023

Photo By Paniolo Man

Last edited by delts145; Feb 24, 2024 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:09 AM

Building Salt Lake issued a report tonight indicated that Smith is committed to looking at solutions to having the Jazz and the hockey team downtown longterm. Very very pleased to hear that.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:27 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Building Salt Lake issued a report tonight indicated that Smith is committed to looking at solutions to having the Jazz and the hockey team downtown longterm. Very very pleased to hear that.
Yeah. We're talking about it in the NHL/MLB thread - the legislature is really pushing hard for downtown and will put together legislation to build it there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
Wouldn't adding sprawly suburban areas to SLC be a bad thing for the city? I expect it's more expensive for the city to maintain infrastructure to single family homes on large lots than to denser zones. And the lower property tax revenue from sprawly areas doesn't help.
I would argue if you added, let's say, Millcreek and South Salt Lake to Salt Lake City, it wouldn't be incorporating all that much in the way of sprawl. Both are built out cities that are on their own path of densification. SSL also has a large commercial and industrial base that would add a lot of tax revenue - they have more people working in the city limits than they do people living in the city.

My biggest concern about incorporating suburban areas into Salt Lake City would be the mindset of some of the suburbanites, as SLC has been on an impressive urban path and it could slow down that momentum. But I think it would be much less of a problem in Millcreek and SSL, and it could also bring better planning to some of those cities as well (though personally I've been impressed with Millcreek; not so much with SSL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
I also just associate the entire Wasatch Front as a single metro area which makes SLC's population even more hilariously small, I get why in the past Ogden-SLC-Provo were separate metro areas, but nowadays the entire front seems much more united, likely because of sprawl, so I think it might make more sense to combine at least Weber-Davis-Salt Lake-Utah counties, maybe Tooele as well, into a single metro area with Summit and Wasatch counties being part of the CSA. That makes more sense to me than the current arrangement, but I'm not exactly an expert of this topic.
CSA's are combinations of multiple metro areas. So Summit and Wasatch Counties would have to be part of an MSA to be part of a CSA.

I've always thought that dividing up MSA's by counties is inherently problematic because it leaves a lot of room for inaccuracies, but that's just how the census does it. It would make more sense to me to do it by census tract.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:59 AM

Quote:
I think 300,000 would take a lot of work. We're not really expanding our residential development westward, as that has been set aside mostly for industrial/warehouse development and would present further environmental problems. We would need a LOT of really dense infill to get to 300,000.

Quote:
Could be the developer (Dakota Pacific) is choosing to put their primary resources into their very large Park City Tech Center development. They've been fighting with Park City on getting that major development up and going for a number of years now. I've lost count how many times they've been told to go back to the drawing board. However, they seem to be determined to adjust their iterations until Park City says yes.
Just want to clarify, it's Summit County, not Park City, that has jurisdiction over the Kimball Junction area. Park City's boundaries start much further south.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:47 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
I heard from an invested party that the owner of the parcel on which the hotel is meant to go has backed out and may be putting the parcel up for sale. Hearsay, granted.
Fact.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Thanks for all the information you pass on as always. I’m curious about the smoke stacks though. I don’t really have a strong opinion about them either way but I figured they would be demolished for sure in any redevelopment plan. Are they costly to clean up and demo? I assume there is some toxic materials that would have to be abated before demolition. Could you provide any details on that to satisfy my curiosity?

Thanks in advanced
I don’t know what issues they might have, but we’ve always wanted to keep them as part of a landmark and place making, branding idea.

I’m also glad to see that they kept the red brick generator building and all the steel structure behind the stacks. We toured that building, and that space inside is awesome. We thought that it could be a great venue space.
They had removed those in the previous renderings. But, you can see in the new renderings that they now have kept those. I actually see a lot of our ideas that have been incorporated into the new masterplan. I think that is part in large to GIV and RMP. I assume that they have been feeding their input to LHM from the masterplan that FFKR and I were involved with. So, that’s encouraging.

Last edited by Orlando; Feb 24, 2024 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 9:09 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Does anyone have in your photos the completion of this one or perhaps could take a couple of pics if your in this neighborhood?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 12:35 AM

possible block for NHL arena

After thinking about other sites where Ryan Smith could build a new arena without redoing the Delta Center, I thought of this very under-utilized block. It doesn't have a light rail link, but I believe there has been talks of new routes on 4th south and 3rd or 4th west. Besides the 2 parking lot blocks that the LDS church owns, this one could be a contender. Larry Miller developed these very unurban apartments when he had the Delta Center built. Back then, that block was blighted. Parts of it still are. So, it was an improvement back then. But now, this block is prime for a better and denser use.

roll two die

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 12:41 AM

Skyline shot from the U

I was up at the U yesterday. Here was a shot I took. Such an improvement from over a decade ago.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:37 AM

Under new legislation, is delta center to remain and another stadium to be built nearby? If that is the case, it seems difficult to find room for another stadium within a 5-block max contiguous area that also encompasses delta. I like Orlando's placement, when I lived by pioneer a while back I always thought that block looked very out of place.

Or are they planning to rebuild delta center and overlay a sports and entertainment district over west downtown?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
After thinking about other sites where Ryan Smith could build a new arena without redoing the Delta Center, I thought of this very under-utilized block. It doesn't have a light rail link, but I believe there has been talks of new routes on 4th south and 3rd or 4th west. Besides the 2 parking lot blocks that the LDS church owns, this one could be a contender. Larry Miller developed these very unurban apartments when he had the Delta Center built. Back then, that block was blighted. Parts of it still are. So, it was an improvement back then. But now, this block is prime for a better and denser use.

roll two die
I agree that would be a great block. It doesn't have any historic architecture left and it also has the sketchiest convenience store this side of the Wayne's Corner. But I think it would definitely be a hard sell to demolish hundreds of apartment units for a stadium (especially a stadium financed through tax dollars).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:00 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

roll two die
Fun fact: back in the 1990s, this was the block the city initially had planned to build Franklin Covey Field on but received immense pushback from the Ballpark Neighborhood due to how integral Derks was to the area - so, they opted to build it there with hopes it would spur development to expand downtown that far south.

It really didn't.

That's why the new ballpark area being proposed HAS to come with the development - and it looks like it will - because as much as I am okay (reluctantly) using tax dollars for these stadiums, they aren't going to generate development on their own. They need to be part of a wider plan that's actually realized.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Literally anything else:

Source.
Nice, just from a layman's perspective I can see that at least half of these crops aren't even growable in Utah. Do you know which of these can be grown profitably in Utah?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
People's livelihood is not a good reason to continue a destructive policy, but it should be a good reason to craft a reasonable and compassionate exit of Utah from agriculture and ranching. Utah should create a 30 year exit plan where farms can be operated until the owner dies. They would not be able to sell it for ag/ranch purposes. There would be monies to help them conserve water in the meantime. Ag/ranching should be in places that have sufficient rainfall. Utah is not that place.
Farmers are the foundation of society. This is an extremely stupid perspective.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:23 PM

/\/\/\ Alfalfa should be banned in Utah and the rest of the desert west of the U.S., IMO

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West