HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 11:51 PM

This is our Jordan river? It would be a dream come true to see it like this and I hope all future development on the river will engage it this beautifully. This riverwalk plaza space significantly changes the appeal of the entire neighborhood and could be a draw that does not really exist today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Glad to see the smokestacks remain as well. Go baseball team

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 12:40 PM

Very excited to follow this project over the next 5 to 10 years. I especially like how they've expanded the width of the Jordan in several areas. Would be great to see that continue to happen in many areas along the Jordan. I've often wondered if they couldn't do more of that with City Creek in the CBD. They have already created some very attractive development related to City Creek. I would just like to see a small lake or two developed along its path, especially in those giant So. Temple parking lots.

Also, I'm heartened that the Miller family is as determined as they are to make this MLB/multi-use related district happen. I think their proven track record bodes well for their ability to both attract deep-pocket investors as they see fit and move the project along in a timely manner. Gail Miller is getting up there in years now at 80. I hope that she's one of those long lifers who will be around and active for another 15 to 20 years. The Miller's involvement and the upcoming Olympics should help to guarantee this project's speedy as possible success. Also, glad to see the Power District site as the project location. What a plus to have it so close to downtown virtually becoming an extension of the fairgrounds. The fairground's future is solidified and hugely enhanced by this development. IMO this development and the future additions along No. Temple will give an urban density and vibrancy that will extend the size and feel of downtown westward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Two things I noticed in those renderings: 1.) There are high rises at the intersection of Redwood Road and North Temple in the first image, which I like. Although, I doubt they are actually part of the plan.
2.) I am disappointed that the smoke stacks are no longer visible from the stadium but this also allows for unobstructed mountain views, which is good I guess.
I would like to see them raise the height all along the North Temple corridor as close to the airport as feasible, at least to Redwood Road. Ten to twelve floors along with commercial would be great on many of those remaining dive lots. Perhaps also, not to destroy the neighborhoods scale but inward a plot or two north and south from North Temple.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 16, 2024 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I do like the renderings. We were going to do more higher level renderings like these, but we were cut short by the announcement of the MLB and LHM group. So, we just had to wrap up what we had done as quickly as possible. I wish I could show you what we had done. Maybe sometime later.
Thanks for all the information you pass on as always. I’m curious about the smoke stacks though. I don’t really have a strong opinion about them either way but I figured they would be demolished for sure in any redevelopment plan. Are they costly to clean up and demo? I assume there is some toxic materials that would have to be abated before demolition. Could you provide any details on that to satisfy my curiosity?

Thanks in advanced

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 9:20 PM

Those are awesome renderings. Hopefully it ends up actually looking something like that by the end. Given the nature of development in this state, I'm not holding my breath. For now it's still a concept more than anything.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 11:35 PM
Space Magi

These new MLB ballpark renderings have a little surprise if you look at SLC skyline closely.

Shilo Inn lives again

Also, it's worth pointing out that some of the ground-level images have different (taller) buildings than the aerials. The plans are clearly still in flux.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Bill would turn Salt Lake Co.’s 5 metro townships into cities, give them taxing authority
https://www.abc4.com/news/politics/b...ing-authority/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 12:25 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
These new MLB ballpark renderings have a little surprise if you look at SLC skyline closely.

Shilo Inn lives again

Also, it's worth pointing out that some of the ground-level images have different (taller) buildings than the aerials. The plans are clearly still in flux.
It does say on each rendering that the content and drawings are conceptual and not intended to represent the final look of the area.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 4:31 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

In a weird nerd way, losing the very unique metro township name is a shame, but in all practical ways, they should just be cities anyways so this is great news

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 2:13 AM

Not sure if anyone knows this but... does governor cox actually live in the governor's mansion at 603 E S Temple?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 3:12 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
Not sure if anyone knows this but... does governor cox actually live in the governor's mansion at 603 E S Temple?
Yes. I think he also spends some time at his residence in Sanpete.

If you're looking to egg it, let me know and I'll join in on the fun!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yes. I think he also spends some time at his residence in Sanpete.

If you're looking to egg it, let me know and I'll join in on the fun!
Hahaha it does look suspicious now that I read it back

I was seeing that in some other states the governors don't actually reside in the mansion. Not very logical but I was trying to guess based on how invested he seems in SLC specific issues

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
In a weird nerd way, losing the very unique metro township name is a shame, but in all practical ways, they should just be cities anyways so this is great news
Kearns and Magna should definitely be cities. I always thought White City should just be part of Sandy, but I guess there's probably a reason it isn't. What a weird disjointed city that would be though. Copperton and Emigration Canyon - sure, why not? Though to me it would make more sense to have Emigration Canyon as part of Salt Lake City. But generally speaking, I think U.S. metro areas have too many separate municipalities. Salt Lake City should definitely be much bigger overall, though it's not happening any time soon.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
But generally speaking, I think U.S. metro areas have too many separate municipalities. Salt Lake City should definitely be much bigger overall, though it's not happening any time soon.
Wouldn't adding sprawly suburban areas to SLC be a bad thing for the city? I expect it's more expensive for the city to maintain infrastructure to single family homes on large lots than to denser zones. And the lower property tax revenue from sprawly areas doesn't help.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 10:31 PM
Ironweed

Hello Mr. Schmoe,

I believe you had said that construction of the adjacent hotel would start when Astra was completed. Is this still the case?

Thank you. (This message will repeat regularly until answered)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:09 PM
high-floor train enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
Wouldn't adding sprawly suburban areas to SLC be a bad thing for the city? I expect it's more expensive for the city to maintain infrastructure to single family homes on large lots than to denser zones. And the lower property tax revenue from sprawly areas doesn't help.
Mostly yeah, but there are some cities (ssl, millcreek, even wvc in some cases) that have good groundworks for being urban and just need a better city government. plus, slc is hilariously small for the metro area size.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Hello Mr. Schmoe,

I believe you had said that construction of the adjacent hotel would start when Astra was completed. Is this still the case?

Thank you. (This message will repeat regularly until answered)
I heard from an invested party that the owner of the parcel on which the hotel is meant to go has backed out and may be putting the parcel up for sale. Hearsay, granted.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:41 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
I heard from an invested party that the owner of the parcel on which the hotel is meant to go has backed out and may be putting the parcel up for sale. Hearsay, granted.
Dakota Pacific?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
Mostly yeah, but there are some cities (ssl, millcreek, even wvc in some cases) that have good groundworks for being urban and just need a better city government. plus, slc is hilariously small for the metro area size.
SLC’s population is 16% of the metro population. Are there other cities in the country will a similar proper/metro pop ratio?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:51 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
SLC’s population is 16% of the metro population. Are there other cities in the country will a similar proper/metro pop ratio?
Salt Lake probably has one of the smaller overall boundaries of comparable main cities to its overall metro.

But if you include Millcreek and South Salt Lake in Salt Lake City's overall population, that area is now about 23% of the metro population, and that's similar to Denver (26%), though still significantly smaller than Phoenix (32%) and Vegas (28%).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:28 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

I also just associate the entire Wasatch Front as a single metro area which makes SLC's population even more hilariously small, I get why in the past Ogden-SLC-Provo were separate metro areas, but nowadays the entire front seems much more united, likely because of sprawl, so I think it might make more sense to combine at least Weber-Davis-Salt Lake-Utah counties, maybe Tooele as well, into a single metro area with Summit and Wasatch counties being part of the CSA. That makes more sense to me than the current arrangement, but I'm not exactly an expert of this topic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West