HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Pretty sure the company has estimates of it's capacity, and they are well north of 10%l of visitors currently landing at SAT.
You really should watch this video \/\/\/. The capacity issue is addressed at about 4:30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
It's insanity the MPO has even been humoring this crap proposal. Such a disgrace.

Relevant Youtube explainer from City Nerd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfVdge8DhB4
No matter what their claims, it looks like their max 24 hour capacity would be 43,200.

Quote:
And the fact that so many here write this off out of hand kind of proves the point that SA does not like to think outside the box. Pretty sure there were negative Nellies when it came to the Riverwalk, and Hemisfair as well.

I'm not sold on the project, but seeing as they are asking nothing of me, I'm willing to see how it plays out. Or are only taxpayer funded projects not "harebrained"?
I write it off because it's a dumb idea being dishonestly presented by a weirdo, and I assume others have the same reason, proving no such point about thinking or boxes. And an idea is harebrained whether I'm paying for it or not.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
You really should watch this video \/\/\/. The capacity issue is addressed at about 4:30.

No matter what their claims, it looks like their max 24 hour capacity would be 43,200.

I write it off because it's a dumb idea being dishonestly presented by a weirdo, and I assume others have the same reason, proving no such point about thinking or boxes. And an idea is harebrained whether I'm paying for it or not.
Quote:
Despite environmental and feasibility concerns, the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority is pushing ahead with a proposed San Antonio tunnel project, saying Elon Musk's Boring Co. will offer an additional $15 million to finance the project, the Express-News reports.
Quote:
Although no official agreements have been reached between the Alamo RMA and Boring Co., the funding increase proposed by Musk's company may indicate that the regional transit authority is intent on moving forward on the project.

According to the Alamo RMA, the tunnel would cost $247 million to $289 million to complete in its entirety. Boring Co.'s proposal projects the underground passage would ferry 112,000 passengers daily to and from SA's modest airport, creating $25 million in revenue for the cash-strapped RMA.
https://www.sacurrent.com/news/elon-...oject-29945279

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:09 PM

I only briefly read this article on the proposed tunnel so I am left wondering; What is in this monumental project for Musk and Company?
A small percentage of the fare revenue, perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward looking View Post
I only briefly read this article on the proposed tunnel so I am left wondering; What is in this monumental project for Musk and Company?
A small percentage of the fare revenue, perhaps?
PR and personal attention. Maybe some kind of tax break from Abbott. While brilliant, Elon Musk is the modern day Thomas Edison / PT Barnum.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
PR and personal attention. Maybe some kind of tax break from Abbott. While brilliant, Elon Musk is the modern day Thomas Edison / PT Barnum.
He is fine, at least he is putting company money on the project?

Our city is currently in a political fight with the state and are on the losing end. Refusing to back down on a surface street project so maybe that pie in the sky idea will work and this one too.

Just saying

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 10:26 PM

"I write it off because it's a dumb idea being dishonestly presented by a weirdo, and I assume others have the same reason, proving no such point about thinking or boxes. And an idea is harebrained whether I'm paying for it or not."-Spoiler

Yeah, if only we had examples of tunnels working. What could Musk be thinking?

Of course, I could point out that those "out of hand" opposed are coming, while innocently, from a place of ignorance, as am I, as none us of really know if it could work or not, as we have seen no concrete plans or studies on the project.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:26 AM

Quote:
"I write it off because it's a dumb idea being dishonestly presented by a weirdo, and I assume others have the same reason, proving no such point about thinking or boxes. And an idea is harebrained whether I'm paying for it or not."-Spoiler

Yeah, if only we had examples of tunnels working. What could Musk be thinking?

Of course, I could point out that those "out of hand" opposed are coming, while innocently, from a place of ignorance, as am I, as none us of really know if it could work or not, as we have seen no concrete plans or studies on the project.
The tunnel’s not the issue, if it can be built without impacting the aquifer. The issue is that one lane of 4 passenger vehicles cannot achieve the capacity projections of the project proposal, tunnel or no.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
The tunnel’s not the issue, if it can be built without impacting the aquifer. The issue is that one lane of 4 passenger vehicles cannot achieve the capacity projections of the project proposal, tunnel or no.

https://media.tenor.com/images/c5fb2...c16b/tenor.gif

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting your information, but everything I've seen proposes a loop, maybe a one lane loop, but a loop none the less. If you're assuming it would be a one lane, straight passage, you might be correct, but I'm assuming a loop, which is the proposal, that could accommodate the proposed projections.

As I said, none of know what the actuals are, so we are left guessing. I don't like the secrecy so far, but I'm not going to write off the pioneer of EV as some crackpot.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:38 AM
JACKinBeantown

Wouldn't it be so much easier to build an above ground system?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting your information, but everything I've seen proposes a loop, maybe a one lane loop, but a loop none the less. If you're assuming it would be a one lane, straight passage, you might be correct, but I'm assuming a loop, which is the proposal, that could accommodate the proposed projections.

As I said, none of know what the actuals are, so we are left guessing. I don't like the secrecy so far, but I'm not going to write off the pioneer of EV as some crackpot.
Electric vehicles have existed since the nineteenth century. But I know who you're referring to, the guy who's gonna pay forty-four billion dollars for Twitter. Definitely not a crackpot.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:47 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:

For the love of God, watch the City Nerd video. The proposal is to build something identical to what they've already builtin Vegas, and it just does not work very well. We don't have to speculate.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Electric vehicles have existed since the nineteenth century. But I know who you're referring to, the guy who's gonna pay forty-four billion dollars for Twitter. Definitely not a crackpot.
Yeah, I knew you'd say that, so maybe not "pioneer" but the one that made them so I see more than several Teslas, every day, on the roads, in San Antonio.

Of course that crackpot is worth north of 200 billion. Wish I was that stupid.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
For the love of God, watch the City Nerd video. The proposal is to build something identical to what they've already builtin Vegas, and it just does not work very well. We don't have to speculate.
It's only been open since July. Kind of early to determine success or failure. And an all day ticket only costs $2.50 in VEGAS. Cheapest thrill ride there.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/elon-mus...gas-loop-opens

I believe you are referring to the first chunk of tunnel, which was not a loop yet:

https://observer.com/2021/06/elon-mu...perts-skeptic/

Lots happened in that year though.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be so much easier to build an above ground system?
Perhaps, but why not both? When weather makes above ground transportation untenable, we'd still have below ground transportation.

I tend to agree with you that easiest is probably best, but I'm also willing to test the hypothesis.

(Brilliant answer on the HDRC subject btw. Just not sure who I would trust to set the parameters)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I knew you'd say that, so maybe not "pioneer" but the one that made them so I see more than several Teslas, every day, on the roads, in San Antonio.

Of course that crackpot is worth north of 200 billion. Wish I was that stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Video won't play. Perhaps put your thoughts to words. And don't give me any bullshit videos that at this time can't be proven one way or the other.

I respect your opinion, and all I ask is you respect mine. At this point, there is no proof of either of our opinions.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Video won't play. Perhaps put your thoughts to words. And don't give me any bullshit videos that at this time can't be proven one way or the other.

I respect your opinion, and all I ask is you respect mine. At this point, there is no proof of either of our opinions.
I'm sorry the video won't play. There's a direct link provided. It's a satiric video. I have nothing serious left to say about this topic.

Last edited by Spoiler; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, restless One.

I watched the video a month or so ago. It shows a guy in Vegas riding the system and talking about how it's a slow process that requires humans to makes sure the electric cars are functioning properly etc. while only allowing for a few riders in any one vehicle. It goes into a lot of detail that I can't remember, but he shows (and essentially proves) that the system is terrible and has little chance for improving to the level Musk claims. In short, a regular subway or rapid bus system makes much more sense for many reasons. I wish it were playing so you could see it for yourself.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:21 PM

This youtube video here won't play for me either. However I certainly believe now, after your description of it jack, of how the thing functions, that it is a fool's errand to build the damn tunnel. It does not function well at all and is more of a carnival ride. However, I have always looked with a bit of ambivalence toward this project, but- this is all to be built on Musk's dime! With regards to electric automotive technologies always moving forward, someday....they might be able to make this proposed toy train work right by applying auto electric technology to it.
I liken it to Bezo's space flight with Captain Kirk onboard . I too Jack, have always thought an above ground rail the way to go. Costs are prohibitive if we San Antonian's have to use our own dime to pay for the rail however.
Errors in studies upon the effects of a tunnel upon the aquifer could happen. Human beings have made many erroneous assumptions in "research" where the predicted effects of our activities upon nature is concerned.
Africanized honey bees, kudzu vine, the Great lakes invasive species contained in bilge water release, the internal combustion engine, Dams are not a such great idea after all (Perpetuating the idea that California is a paradise), bringing exotic snakes into south Florida, releasing pigs into the wild, burying toxic chemicals in the ground ,etc,etc,etc.
Quote:
Thanks, restless One.

I watched the video a month or so ago. It shows a guy in Vegas riding the system and talking about how it's a slow process that requires humans to makes sure the electric cars are functioning properly etc. while only allowing for a few riders in any one vehicle. It goes into a lot of detail that I can't remember, but he shows (and essentially proves) that the system is terrible and has little chance for improving to the level Musk claims. In short, a regular subway or rapid bus system makes much more sense for many reasons. I wish it were playing so you could see it for yourself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio