HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:40 PM
ARTchitecture

Jesus, Spring. *facepalm*

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Jesus, Spring. *facepalm*
This is the Calgary section. If you started posting Calgary updates in the edm section somebody would def report u for trolling.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:55 PM
ARTchitecture

I guess so, but you know very well that the arena is not the only thing going on in Downtown Edmonton.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:56 PM
Community Guy

Have a little sense of humour man... jebus.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:58 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Hey Coldrsx, do you have a link to the concourse renderings?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Well played sir... well played!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:15 PM
Community Guy

^why thank you and I would expect the same humour back in our forums in due course.

^^http://www.rogersplace.com/gallery/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:32 PM
Home of Hyperchange

The best concourses I've experienced were in Nashville and Phoenix. With hardly anyone in attendance, there are no lineups, no crowds, and it's just so easy to move about. Plus I almost tackled John McCain in Phoenix by accident, so that was cool.

Staples Center still has my vote for best overall. Love that place.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
For an indoor stadium that might not be an easy ask.
That's exactly my point. We could probably get 50 000 plus at a Grey Cup game in Calgary, why accommodate for half that?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:41 PM

Best concourse I've experienced is San Jose, could walk down the concourse in the intermission of a sold out game, with arms stretched out and you wouldn't touch another person.

I think the Saddledome could do wonders with our concourse if they put metal mazes in the concessions and don't have a fucking car in the narrowest part!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That's exactly my point. We could probably get 50 000 plus at a Grey Cup game in Calgary, why accommodate for half that?
Because the Grey Cup is here once every 9 years.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
^It's great you can capture everything going on in the inner-city deadmonton in one shot, but please keep your spam messages for the Canada section.
Shots fired!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Because the Grey Cup is here once every 9 years.
Not with a puny, undersized stadium, once every 15 would be more like it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:16 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Rogers place in Edmonton looks like it's going to be amazing. I can only hope that we get something so outstanding. Fingers crossed that we don't fuck this one up!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
BC Place did a pretty decent job neatly hiding the upper-bowl whenever the capacity wasn't needed. Something like that would be really slick. Or (perhaps more reasonably) two outdoor grandstands with open endzones for temporary capacity...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:38 PM
City of Blinding Lights

A lot of new stadia are utilizing a horseshoe design that allows one end to be exclusively accessed for events like concerts. It also allows the flexibility for additional ore temporary stands to be added. This is Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake Stadium:

Credit: Salt Lake Tribune

Here are a couple of images of the StubHub Center in LA. It's capacity is 27,000. Should give a good visual of what that looks like.

Credit: Archinect.com

Credit: CBS Los Angeles

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:56 PM

Given that this forum is the closest thing that we've got to a time-lapse arena construction cam in Calgary, I think the Coldrsx's post was well-played.

Whatever the configuration of the arena and stadium and their concourses I just hope they have decent food and beer. The Saddledome's offerings are a joke. I was at a baseball game in SF and was amazed to see a good selection of West Coast microbrews at reasonable prices, along with a great selection of food options. Our sports facilities should support and showcase local offerings like Wildrose, Village, etc.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 10:03 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Given that this forum is the closest thing that we've got to a time-lapse arena construction cam in Calgary, I think the Coldrsx's post was well-played.

Whatever the configuration of the arena and stadium and their concourses I just hope they have decent food and beer. The Saddledome's offerings are a joke. I was at a baseball game in SF and was amazed to see a good selection of West Coast microbrews at reasonable prices, along with a great selection of food options. Our sports facilities should support and showcase local offerings like Wildrose, Village, etc.
I think that the beer selection has a lot to do with the Stampede and the deal that they have with Budweiser. If I am paying $8 for a beer I want something good. Not a cup of piss. However, i wonder how much arena's benefit from the deals with big breweries. It makes it tricky for the small guys to compete

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I think that the beer selection has a lot to do with the Stampede and the deal that they have with Budweiser. If I am paying $8 for a beer I want something good. Not a cup of piss. However, i wonder how much arena's benefit from the deals with big breweries. It makes it tricky for the small guys to compete
Budweiser pays to be the exclusive beer supplier. The Flames are the arena manager so I don't think the Stampede has anything to do with it, just Bud and Coors' battle to control as many arenas and stadiums as possible.

Fun fact: Consol Energy Center is the only major arena and stadium not to have a deal with Coke or Pepsi to be the soft drink supplier, instead going with Dr.Pepper Snapple.

The ballpark in SF would be pretty unique in offering anything good in the beer department, it is the way it should be, but too much money to be made just going with the big guys.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:00 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
The ballpark in SF would be pretty unique in offering anything good in the beer department, it is the way it should be, but too much money to be made just going with the big guys.
According to this list, the ballpark in SF is in no way unique - rather it is utterly mediocre (in baseball terms) of their beer offerings; compare it to Seattle. I suspect that ballparks offer so much better beer than other stadiums is because there has to be something going on there to attract people; it's not like the sport is any good to watch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates