HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ak-vaccinated/

It's a true story. and I agree with his thinking that we will be put on a booster program for a few years.

He is wrong about the spanish flu though, sure it decreased from pandemic levels after 2 years but the strains are still very much alive today. I think there is a good chance the coronavirus will end up like that.
No, I am aware of all of this. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:19 PM

I've grown tired of the hyperbolic, bullshit headlines that insinuate that the vaccines aren't working. Even though the percentage of vaccinated people getting infected will remain low, it only stands to reason that there will be a higher number of vaccinated people that are infected. Not because the vaccines aren't working, but because of the sheer number of vaccinated people. It's basic math.

Take 1 million people (1,000,000). Let's say that half are vaccinated (500,000). At a 2% infection rate, that comes to 10,000 of those 500,000 vaccinated people. (Surely isn't the correct percentage, but I'm using 2% just as a simple example.)

Next, let's say that 80% of those 1 million people are vaccinated (800,000). At a 2% infection rate, that comes to 16,000 of those 800,000 people.

Now multiply that out by the tens and tens of millions of people. Yes, people will be more likely to know someone that is vaccinated, but still got covid. It's not a reason to freak out and think the vaccines aren't working. It's not a reason to spread stupid conspiracy theories and say "look, vaccines aren't working". FFS. People need to put a little thought into all of this instead of overreacting to stupid headlines and poor communication from smart people who don't take into account that so many humans aren't smart and overreact to every little thing.

So, one can look at all of this with logic, reason, intelligence and see that the vaccines ARE WORKING and realize that the number of vaccinated with covid is going to be higher simply because there are more vaccinated people. Or, you can listen to the inevitable hyperbolic headline that comes out saying something like "Covid cases among vaccinated jump 60%" or whatever other out of context, clickbait bullshit that they come up with. You can choose to be rational, reasonable, and smart about it, or choose to freak out and/or spread anti-vax bullshit.

Last edited by paul78701; Aug 17, 2021 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
breakthrough cases are a lot higher than that to be sure. there is still a lot we don't know. the pfizer vaccine loses something like 80% of its effectiveness after 8~ months. that is from a study focused on elderly in israel. that's the data booster shots will be ushered in with(which i agree are imminent). the warp speed companies have been running tests on a booster shot and as of the last week or so they have determined they are safe and useful.

FYI all lit I have seen show natural antibodies to covid are superior to the vaccines in every type of way
That's not what the data from Israel says.

There's a preprint study (which is a bit of an outlier with how low it is) that shows lowered effectiveness due to (potentially) waning immunity AND the arrival of Delta in Israel.

You can't compare the effectiveness against Alpha 6 months ago and the effectiveness against _Delta_ now and say "pfizer vaccine loses something like 80% of its effectiveness "

and no, no credible study has shown "natural antibodies to covid are superior ". Everything has shown the opposite, as the vaccines explicitly target the conserved spike protein.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinWimberley View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Worried that the highly contagious delta variant of the coronavirus could derail San Francisco’s economic rebound, Mayor London Breed announced Thursday that the city will require proof of full vaccination at indoor restaurants, bars, gyms and entertainment venues to help keep businesses open.

“This is to protect kids, is to protect those who can’t get vaccinated, is to make sure that we don’t go backwards, is to make sure that I never have to get up in front of you and say, ‘I’m sorry, I know we just reopened and now the city is closed again because we are seeing too many people die,’ ” Breed said.

The mandate will be more stringent than the one announced by New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio last week. San Francisco will require proof of full COVID-19 vaccination for all customers and staff, while New York mandated proof of at least one dose for indoor activities.
This is getting out of topic now since we're talking outside of Austin.

I'll probably trek up from SJ to SF this weekend and see if there's a difference. I've gone to SF just 3 times when the new mandate was imposed and it was for 2 concerts and a SF Giants game. Down in downtown SJ it's not required for a vaccine card to enter anywhere and for gyms you are required to wear your mask inside.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:47 PM

Has anyone heard anything regarding Samsung?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 12:59 AM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah would love to hear a Samsung update any day now

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:17 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Samsung's first choice is to build in Austin, Texas, where it already operates two chip factories.

But it says it needs hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks from the local school district and other government entities in order to build that it would get by essentially limiting its property assessment used to calculate its property taxes.

Otherwise it will consider locations in Arizona, New York or possibly back in South Korea where the company has several chip fabs and its headquarters.

"Without the appraised value limitation award, the company would likely locate the project in Arizona, New York, or Korea," Samsung said in a filing with the Texas comptroller.
https://www.timesunion.com/business/...7-16392301.php

Today’s Samsung update.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:48 AM
クラブトクヨ

So no progress. What has Austin or manor isd offered?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Is giving them what they want really worth it?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:02 AM

I say they should just go to New York.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
yeah from a national perspective its important this plant is in the US.

I'm sure DC wants it in NY, while samsung wants it in TX. We'll see

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:24 AM

Quote:
yeah from a national perspective its important this plant is in the US.

I'm sure DC wants it in NY, while samsung wants it in TX. We'll see
Why would DC want it in NY?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 11:40 AM

Reportedly 250 companies circling Austin currently

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-pick-up.html

Last edited by N90; Aug 20, 2021 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Yes

I would be opposed to giving Samsung money. But the deal Samsung is negotiating in Central Texas for this new fab is to avoid paying significant property tax for a long period of time. I’m completely fine with that. I don’t look at Samsung keeping their money that would have been owed in property taxes as the same as a city or county giving them other people’s tax payer funded money to build something.

I think it’s an identical situation to how some cities give billionaires money to build a new sports stadium by increases in local taxes as opposed financing a stadium and using only taxes from people staying at hotels. In the former, the people that live in the city are forking over the money to pay for a stadium and I’m opposed to this. In the latter, it’s predominantly out of towners that are paying for it, which I’m fine with even though ideally the billionaire should pay for the stadium on their own. That would be my preference.

Last edited by N90; Aug 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 3:19 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Reportedly 250 companies circling Austin currently

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-pick-up.html
Wow!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Yes

I would be opposed to giving Samsung money. But the deal Samsung is negotiating in Central Texas for this new fab is to avoid paying significant property tax for a long period of time. I’m completely fine with that. I don’t look at Samsung keeping their money that would have been owed in property taxes as the same as a city or county giving them other people’s tax payer funded money to build something.

I think it’s an identical situation to how some cities give billionaires money to build a new sports stadium by increases in local taxes as opposed financing a stadium and using only taxes from people staying at hotels. In the former, the people that live in the city are forking over the money to pay for a stadium and I’m opposed to this. In the latter, it’s predominantly out of towners that are paying for it, which I’m fine with even though ideally the billionaire should pay for the stadium on their own. That would be my preference.
Makes a lot of sense and thanks for your input.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wow!
I know right. Austin's on fire!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 11:36 PM

But can we handle all this good news for Austin? How are we going to handle the traffic, long lines at eateries, taxes, ect... and by that, I guess me. My son just moved from Austin / Round Rock, to Buda. I may have to follow. All this influx and ensuing optimism is eventually going to price me out of here, and Buda actually may not be far enough to escape the madness.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 12:39 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
But can we handle all this good news for Austin? How are we going to handle the traffic, long lines at eateries, taxes, ect... and by that, I guess me. My son just moved from Austin / Round Rock, to Buda. I may have to follow. All this influx and ensuing optimism is eventually going to price me out of here, and Buda actually may not be far enough to escape the madness.
I hear Flint, MI is nice this time of year, and is super affordable.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I hear Flint, MI is nice this time of year, and is super affordable.
Hey now. Low blow!
That hits close to home. I was born and raised in Metro Detroit area

I'm with the general. I live in Pflugerville and it is getting uber expensive. Manor, Buda, San Marcos....starting to look more attractive

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin