HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The St Norbert by-pass is 5 to 10 years out. They are only doing functional design now, which is essentially a basic layout for land assembly purposes.
Sad. It should have been done by now. If the Province is planning on completing the infrastructure for Centreport, they should have done this already. After all, Kenaston will be the main route to get to the area. Not sure why they are content with having vehicles pass through St.Norbert, then have to turn at #100 to get to Kenaston.

Regina is so far ahead of us, it is not even funny.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:14 PM

Kenaston really has nothing to do with Centreport. It's just a nice connection that can be made.

Centreport traffic should be accessing that area via 100/101 up to CCW, if they coming from Hwy 75.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Kenaston really has nothing to do with Centreport. It's just a nice connection that can be made.

Centreport traffic should be accessing that area via 100/101 up to CCW, if they coming from Hwy 75.
Actually the whole point of extending Kenaston south to Hwy 75, is that trucks from the USA will be redirected to Centreport. I am not sure if you are familiar with the infrastructure of Centreport, but that is why the Province is constructing the #1 by-pass that will eventually connect to the Trans-Canada just east of St.Francis-Xavier. For the traffic from the US Border, the plan is to have a fork south of Winnipeg where vehicles can turn west to Kenaston, and eventually pass down the Charleswood Parkway, once they connect it to Kenaston.

I am not sure where you have come up with the idea that Kenaston extension has nothing to do with Centreport, but it is incorrect.

"As part of CentrePort Canada, the Waverley West Arterial roads are a key link in the Mid-Continent Trade Corridor Network, enabling road corridors to Canada to the United States and Mexico. CentrePort Canada is a major initiative for the governments of Manitoba and Canada – the development of an inland port that will be utilized for goods movement and processing will ultimately provide a high concentration of goods movement and commuter travel. Increasing demands in global trade and transportation efficiencies, as well as growth in major industrial employment sectors, will create a number of challenges to accommodate goods movement trips through and within Winnipeg. Winnipeg’s geographical location, positions it as a key intermodal and freight hub. It links road and rail corridors from the east and west to the Mid-Continent Trade Corridor which connects Canada, the United States and Mexico."

source: http://janicelukes.ca/blog/waverley-...e-information/

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I've also shown what would be the ultimate design for locations on the north perimeter, based on similar spacing. Locations 23 and 32, would be iffy as they would be extremely low use and possible reserved for extreme future.
The challenge here is the day that 32 becomes another traffic light on the Perimeter is a lot closer that most people think. It is why getting a diamond up at Pipeline needs to be a very high priority as does closing the limited uncontrolled crossing between 59 and HWY 6 that exist today. Then there is a protected limited access highway and when a land developer comes calling wanting access at 32 (King Edward) for their planned residential development the full cost of the diamond for that location can be downloaded to them.

It is similar to how 20 (Symington Rd) is going to pop up as a pressure point not too far down the line to service access to Sage Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Once all the construction at the south end pollution plant is done and all the land filled in the south west corner of RT90. Then they will open up the land across the perimeter to developers.
It isn't that simple since a lot of that area is outside the floodway protection and also outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries. It is why there is lots of push to open up areas west of Kennaston and south of Grant for newer residential developments.

The other piece is Sage Creek will continue to push east ward towards to Perimeter. Basically all the undeveloped land inside the Perimeter needs to be filled in first. And for people that absolutely must be building in south Winnipeg La Salle and Oak Bluff are going to need to pull some of the load too.

Not looking forward to when Winnipeg needs to start having the conversation about needing to extended the floodway further south.

--

Separately, in terms of the state of the proposed St Norbert By-Pass and comparing it to the Headingley By-Pass, my guess is it is more in the 20+ year target range at this point.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Actually the whole point of extending Kenaston south to Hwy 75, is that trucks from the USA will be redirected to Centreport. I am not sure if you are familiar with the infrastructure of Centreport, but that is why the Province is constructing the #1 by-pass that will eventually connect to the Trans-Canada just east of St.Francis-Xavier. For the traffic from the US Border, the plan is to have a fork south of Winnipeg where vehicles can turn west to Kenaston, and eventually pass down the Charleswood Parkway, once they connect it to Kenaston.

I am not sure where you have come up with the idea that Kenaston extension has nothing to do with Centreport, but it is incorrect.

"As part of CentrePort Canada, the Waverley West Arterial roads are a key link in the Mid-Continent Trade Corridor Network, enabling road corridors to Canada to the United States and Mexico. CentrePort Canada is a major initiative for the governments of Manitoba and Canada – the development of an inland port that will be utilized for goods movement and processing will ultimately provide a high concentration of goods movement and commuter travel. Increasing demands in global trade and transportation efficiencies, as well as growth in major industrial employment sectors, will create a number of challenges to accommodate goods movement trips through and within Winnipeg. Winnipeg’s geographical location, positions it as a key intermodal and freight hub. It links road and rail corridors from the east and west to the Mid-Continent Trade Corridor which connects Canada, the United States and Mexico."

source: http://janicelukes.ca/blog/waverley-...e-information/
That makes zero sense. Let's route them through the cluster that is Kenaston. Instead of using the highway that was just built specifically for Centreport, and the 100 km/h roadway that is the Perimeter.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
That makes zero sense. Let's route them through the cluster that is Kenaston. Instead of using the highway that was just built specifically for Centreport, and the 100 km/h roadway that is the Perimeter.
Taking Kenaston to the inner ring road would never hit Kenaston commons or the mess after Taylor. You would simple turn off around Bishop Grandin.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:30 PM

Which comes first. St. Norbert Bypass or the Bishop Extension? haha

Why would any trucker drive through the City, when they could stay on the highway? Is my point I guess.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Which comes first. St. Norbert Bypass or the Bishop Extension? haha

Why would any trucker drive through the City, when they could stay on the highway? Is my point I guess.
Depends where they're going I guess. Not all traffic would be for CP.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:47 PM

Fair comment. But we were talking about Centreport. And right from their website it says WWAR are a key link in their network. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:50 PM

St. Norbert bypass probably happens first since I think that is a provincial project? The ring road will be complete in 3019

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:53 PM

Lol. yeah. The Bishop extension seems to be very low on the priority. It actually leaves the city, so it would be a joint effort.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Did you need some puppets for me to explain it better?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:00 PM

lol. I know what you're talking about. I meant makes zero sense from a logistical point of view.

That map is out of date by the way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Lol. yeah. The Bishop extension seems to be very low on the priority. It actually leaves the city, so it would be a joint effort.
Wouldn't the city acquire the land from the RM of Macdonald once the city sprawls out that way and require city ammenities and services? I feel like by the time this extension gets built that area will be part of winnipeg

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:25 PM
BANNED

n/m

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

The other piece is Sage Creek will continue to push east ward towards to Perimeter. Basically all the undeveloped land inside the Perimeter needs to be filled in first. And for people that absolutely must be building in south Winnipeg La Salle and Oak Bluff are going to need to pull some of the load too.
Just to clarify, Sage Creek is already at the eastern limits of the COW. Plessis Rd marks the City boundary on the eastern edge, that's why the development stops so abruptly.

Sage Creek will continue to fill in their lands northward towards the proposed Bishop east extension and the recently opened up remaining lands to the south boarded by the Perimeter.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Wouldn't the city acquire the land from the RM of Macdonald once the city sprawls out that way and require city ammenities and services? I feel like by the time this extension gets built that area will be part of winnipeg
Look at how well that is going with CentrePort and the RM of Rosser...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:15 PM

If NAFTA doesn't get renewed then who cares about improving the US connection anyway.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:27 PM

Trump will come and go. Common sense will prevail. How long that takes is to be seen.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If NAFTA doesn't get renewed then who cares about improving the US connection anyway.
If NAFTA doesn’t get renewed, it’s time to fix TCH (read: remove all the lights on it and twin the remaining 15 km).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan