HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Take off, eh.
Bob and Doug McKenzie have been replaced in my mind by Wayne Gretzky, since I heard him speak at Mulroney's funeral. Closer to reality. And hockey.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:36 PM

Have to think Kitchener's growth rate has been significantly inflated by the Conestoga College scheme and will be correcting in the future...

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 2:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Have to think Kitchener's growth rate has been significantly inflated by the Conestoga College scheme and will be correcting in the future...
CBRM has had a recent significant boost in population growth too, after decades of senescence and decline. I'm sure this is related to the grifter Dave Dingwall and CBU as well.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 4:28 PM
Look at me!

That's crazy stats for NB cities.

I'm curious about a few things: what's the current pop as of 2024, close to 900K? How far are we fron seeing NB at 1 million?

If the growth is mostly from international migration, what are the main places of origin of this migration?

Also, is this pop growth skewing the general demographics to more francophone or more anglophone?

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 4:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
That's crazy stats for NB cities.
Indeed.

Quote:
curious about a few things: what's the current pop as of 2024, close to 900K? How far are we fron seeing NB at 1 million?
Currently about 854,000. The provincial population is increasing by about 25,000 per year. We should be at 900,000 in 2026, and, all things being equal, we should hit a million in 2030.

Quote:
If the growth is mostly from international migration, what are the main places of origin of this migration?
A healthy proportion of migration is internal (mostly Ontario housing refugees), but, about 2/3rds of growth is international, mostly from the Indian subcontinent. There is also black African and middle eastern immigration because of the bilingual character of the province.

Quote:
Is this pop growth skewing the general demographics to more francophone or more anglophone?
I would say about 75-80% of the immigration is directed to the anglophone community rather than the francophone community. At present the province is about 30% francophone, therefore the francophone community is under pressure, and compounding a slow natural decline due to assimilation and Acadian outmigration to Quebec. This has been noticed, and the feds have enacted several programs to try and boost francophone immigration. It is too soon to see if this has had any effect.

As noted, the francophone proportion of the population is 30%. As the percentage drifts down to 25%, or even 20%, I'm sure there will be growing impatience amongst the anglophone population regarding official bilingualism, or, at least, what bilingualism actually means, and how it is implemented.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 7:29 PM
Great White Norf

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 7:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What's the deal with Welland leading the pack, after decades of stagnation/slow growth? St. Catharines too.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 7:55 PM
Great White Norf

Welland was always significantly cheaper of the larger cities in Niagara, and the housing subdivisions are going up everywhere North, South, East, West!
Welland is projected to be 80,000 or close to it probably around the time of the 2031 census or shortly after.

My former elementary school (originally built as a junior high then K-8 since) is bursting at the seams that they have to expand the school, build a brand new gym and are putting an early childcare centre on the site
https://www.pelhamtoday.ca/local-new...elland-8790358

Using realtor.ca, here's everything in the MLS that's been built in Welland since 2018 (if year built data was actually entered into the system)
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...Listings=false

Edit: here's the listings in Niagara built since 2018
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...Listings=false

Molson, I don't know why anyone would buy new in Niagara when you can get older pre-owned homes on larger lots, tree lined streets that cost hundreds of thousands less.

St. Catharines is doing a decent amount of infill and filling in the remaining gaps with denser subdivisions.
Two 21 storey modern Commieblocks were built in the towers in a park section off Glenridge (Towering Heights Blvd).
Downtown has an 18 storey apartment under construction with a 30 storey condo that should be underway soon.
A low rise condo of ~250 units is just finishing completion. A 533 unit infill development of condos and townhouses on Geneva St. was just approved. The former St. Catharines General hospital site is proposed to be like 1,100+ units!

It's getting to the point where I'm struggling to keep up with all of the developments in Niagara

A lot of GTA folks have moved here for cheaper housing. First it was retirees, then people with only a few years left until retirement, now families from the GTA, Hamilton, beyond are moving here. One of the last bastions of cheaper housing in southern Ontario. New build is pricey but one can still find "deals" on the pre-owned market...for now

Last edited by Wigs; May 26, 2024 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 9:31 PM
Great White Norf

I have a feeling Stats Can undercount of a million people means we are playing catch-up now with much more accurate estimates

What do you guys think?

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 11:36 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

My predictions from what we are seeing as of May 26, 2024 on the StatsCan CMA report and the Population Clock.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:15 AM

https://sreda.com/economic-indicators/

Saskatoon estimated at 379,886.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Where did you find this, and where could I find a breakdown of the Winnipeg CMA?

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
And there's The Six, which I hate. Probably because before area codes got more plentiful as available phone numbers began to be used up, the "905" region was "416" and people/businesses had to change.

Hamilton gets mispronounced sometimes. I remember when Michael Landsberg was still with TSN he would often pronounce it something like "Hamil-nn" but I've heard others do that too, and it just sounds weird.

The "ton" tends to get spoken fast so it doesn't sound like the measure of weight, but the "t" is not dropped by most people.
As someone who moved to Hamilton, this always struck me as coming from older native Hamiltonians.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
https://sreda.com/economic-indicators/

Saskatoon estimated at 379,886.
Looks like they over estimated by about 27K.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:04 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Where did you find this, and where could I find a breakdown of the Winnipeg CMA?
I created it copy/pasting numbers and used Google spreadsheet on my phone haha. Used the filter function on Stat Can for each municipality one at a time

I sorted to show only 2023. You have to find each city/suburb population yourself
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...101%2C20230101

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:31 PM
Dolly Parton in the House

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
These tits are made for luring
And that's just what they'll do
One of these days these tits are gonna lure u to Kitchener-Waterloo

Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:55 PM
Volatile Pacivist

A total of two posts with both of them posting music videos in this thread without any discussion of the topic. Quite an interesting approach...

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:12 PM

Heehee.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada