HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
Tippy, there was a proposed 5 or 6 story apartment building developed by Cowboy Partners. Not sure if it is still alive or not.
As of September 2022, the planned development was the Darlene by CW Urban.

Dormant dry-cleaners on coveted corner in Central 9th finally to see development

I can't find any updates on that project tho.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:16 PM

Thank you mstar and Enemy4thePeople for the info. That project will look good next to the slate, hopefully they start soon and it’s not an empty lot for much longer on such a prime corner.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:52 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
That looks ugly. Really ugly.
Comrade intends to connect a highwire from the Sugar House tower to the Worthington so he can get across town quicker. He'll use his tireless e-bike to cross.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:23 PM

The stepped design makes me think of 1980s/90s post-modernism too much. But it's impossible to really tell from just a rendered white box how it would actually look. My guess is that in the already unlikely chance that something that tall will be approved there, it is even less likely to look like that.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The stepped design makes me think of 1980s/90s post-modernism too much. But it's impossible to really tell from just a rendered white box how it would actually look. My guess is that in the already unlikely chance that something that tall will be approved there, it is even less likely to look like that.
I wouldn't be so sure you guys, SLC is about to make a big push for density being built in all areas, not just downtown.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:20 PM

To those of you concerned, I really wouldn't fret because either the tower won't ever be built, or it will be massively scaled-down.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 12:35 AM

Here's another one...it is so absurdly out of scale for the area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Here's another one...it is so absurdly out of scale for the area.

Love it. Build it now

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This angle sold me on it... It looks awesome

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:35 AM
Engineer

It’s way too wide. And not a fan of the step design. I have no love for this massing concept at all. The height isn’t the issue for me, so long as we get others eventually.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:10 AM

Hey, I am not against a tower going in Sugar House at all. However, I agree with Orlando that something that tall should be downtown at this point. I think all of us want downtown to become "more urban" and "more dense". We just don't see that many 300' towers built any where in the valley. With all of the parking lots and suburban like buildings downtown - it would be better in my opinion that a structure like that should be added to the downtown core. However, if it get's built in Sugar House - great. Downtown would just be better for the city.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:24 AM

Reminder that this is what would be replaced if the tower is built:

Nothing to miss considering what great things the neighborhood has lost. So much of the charm has been destroyed so why not a huge win for Sugar House?

Again, I’m skeptical that anything cool will actually come to fruition.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:37 AM

https://x.com/cwilliamsKSL/status/17...121753935?s=20

Looks like the plan is just under 250ft and 20 stories. Also doesn't have that step up shape. Do you all find this more palatable?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:59 AM

From that link. Super cool

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:05 AM
Lahaina Strong

With how long zoning changes take this project will be dead before it gets approval.

It has been a year since Intermountain requested the rezone of 754 State, and the city has made no indication they intend to act on that soon.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:56 AM

20 stories would not be out of place. Cities have stand alone towers outside of downtown, it’s common. And 20 stories would hardly be tower. Hopefully they can get thru all the zoning and other processes and build it

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:14 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
These don't look like the same design to me. They have different floor plates starting at the amenity level. The first one looks like it's probably the 300 ft version. Maybe they cut the top off, moved it to the east side, and preserved the number of units?

I think I prefer the original massing, tbh. Maybe we can find the full slide deck?

Edit: here's the video. The bottom floor streetscape/retail seems excellent.

Last edited by Atlas; Dec 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
These don't look like the same design to me. They have different floor plates starting at the amenity level. The first one looks like it's probably the 300 ft version. Maybe they cut the top off, moved it to the east side, and preserved the number of units?

I think I prefer the original massing, tbh. Maybe we can find the full slide deck?

Edit: here's the video. The bottom floor streetscape/retail seems excellent.
I watched the video from City Council and there is clearly a lot of frustration and pushback from the Karens, very similar to the whole Wasatch Peaks debacle.

I say build it and push for more density/height in a great part of town!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 3:01 AM

I watched the video too. The leak of the 300 foot tall tower was a mistake. The shorter 240’ tall tower is what they are proposing. I liked their presentation. Though, they needed some 3D aerial views to show how it fit in the context. I think they addressed the urban street frontage and parking really well.

They were absolutely hammered, though, by Nimby’s in force. It was so ridiculous. Some of the comments were so uneducated. One guy said that it was taller than the church COB tower in downtown because their original proposal was 30 stories vs. the 28 stories of the COB. But, the COB is 420’ tall because it’s an office tower vs. the 305’ tall previously proposed tower. AND, be didn’t even listen to the presentation that showed that their real proposal was 20 stories and 240’ tall. One guy repeatedly said that down SLC was horrible because of all the traffic and people and that he hasn’t been down there in 16 years. Most of the people were older residents. It was a disproportionate representation of the new demographic in SH. Many of them balked at the proposal to make it a more walkable neighborhood and that you will need lots more parking. Many of them thought that the developer was justifying the height to make it pencil. I only heard one resident in support of the project and he was a younger guy. Some of them were already weary of the current 105’ height limit. Lot if them want to preserve the old storefronts and vintage buildings, but the building the developer is proposing to demo is definitely not precious.

I think the 240’ is much better and I’d be almost okay with it. What they proposed would be much better than that very unlively existing building.

Last edited by Orlando; Dec 8, 2023 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 3:14 AM
Lahaina Strong

Here's the Granary District parking garage as of this afternoon:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West