HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 3:24 PM

I've spoken to the developers of the RWP/West Quarter and they are planning a full build out before 2030.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 3:27 PM

Proposed big mass timber building in Sugar House:

https://buildingsaltlake.com/300-foo...GusoJXU4XWfwAA

300-foot buildings in Sugar House? That’s one developer’s idea
Taylor Anderson on November 27, 2023

The Chicago-based development firm seeking to redevelop the Wells Fargo building in Sugar House wants to rewrite a portion of the zoning code to allow Downtown heights in the neighborhood’s urban core.

Harbor Bay Ventures has proposed rezoning the property to allow the firm to build a mixed-use structure on the site, according to the applications that would rezone the property, amend the Sugar House urban core zoning and change the neighborhood’s master plan to allow for taller mass timber buildings.

In its applications, Harbor Bay proposed creating a new zone for the neighborhood that would allow buildings up to 305 feet tall as long as they include a majority of sustainable materials. The new zone would be known as CSHBD — SUS, Sugar House Business District – Sustainability District.

(click through for article and mass rendering)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 3:33 PM
Space Magi

A parking lot where Block D will be built is not unexpected. It's a temporary lot while they build Block C. This was in the documents approved a year ago by the PC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Proposed big mass timber building in Sugar House:

https://buildingsaltlake.com/300-foo...GusoJXU4XWfwAA

Taylor Anderson on November 27, 2023

The Chicago-based development firm seeking to redevelop the Wells Fargo building in Sugar House wants to rewrite a portion of the zoning code to allow Downtown heights in the neighborhood’s urban core.

Harbor Bay Ventures has proposed rezoning the property to allow the firm to build a mixed-use structure on the site, according to the applications that would rezone the property, amend the Sugar House urban core zoning and change the neighborhood’s master plan to allow for taller mass timber buildings.

In its applications, Harbor Bay proposed creating a new zone for the neighborhood that would allow buildings up to 305 feet tall as long as they include a majority of sustainable materials. The new zone would be known as CSHBD — SUS, Sugar House Business District – Sustainability District.

(click through for article and mass rendering)
Exciting news. Here's the massing and site layout: (1095 E. 2100 S)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:18 PM

Sweet! I'm all for it

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:30 PM

Oh this will be amazing for SH, just wish we had a few more towers like this DT before building this, but oh well.

Does anyone know if the Alta Terra buildings will be built after the Makers Line Collapse? Those would help the SH skyline and aid this new building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy4thePeople View Post
It's interesting how the "larger windows" make the building look so much smaller from this perspective. Also, bummer this amenity deck is on the north side.
This render resembles my proximal phalanges, aka where my finger meets my knuckle. It will look so tiny, tinier than usual, with goofy large windows.

Also yeah, north side deck will be so cold what are they thinking?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:21 AM
They all float down here

I'd love it. But I am skeptical it has a prayer of being built in SugarHouse.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Yes please!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:17 AM

That is awesome. Sugarhouse desperately needs a tower and would look amazing with a small skyline of its own

According to their website, Harbor Bay led a similar zoning change (from 6 to 30 stories) in Minneapolis for their 'HUB Minneapolis' tower. Interestingly, HUB Minneapolis is adjacent to university of minnesota just like their original mass timber site adjacent to the U. I think the Wells Fargo site is a much better location and tower is a better form, though

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:17 AM
Ironweed

300' wood building

The rendering is interesting. It looks like a Jenga pile. If it is made of wood, it will be. Kinda cool.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:47 PM

So a 300' timber building would make it the tallest timber building in the world. But that doesn't sound like that's what they're planning. It sounds like they're planning on 65% CLT.

And I think that massing looks terrible. If it were a student project, I'd tell them to start over. From an urban design perspective, they don't necessarily have to position the tower at the corner, but the fact that they don't do anything with the corner should be resolved, ie. they need to do something with the corner and something more than the unfinished colonnade they're showing in plan. Materials and windows might help make the design look more resolved, but as it is, it looks quarter-baked, even for conceptual massing.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:30 PM

Almost every modern building here feels like it was designed by a student. That said this SH tower would still be one of our best if built lol.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Almost every modern building here feels like it was designed by a student. That said this SH tower would still be one of our best if built lol.
I don't know, 222 Main is a good scheme that actually benefitted from the old zoning (had to be distinctive mid block to go taller than 100'). And Wells Fargo isn't my cup of tea but it's a clear and distinctive scheme that was executed with top tier quality. But yeah, just those two.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 3:53 AM
Lahaina Strong

What is this project immediately south of Lotus Republic?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:48 PM

Sugarhouse tower

I feel like that tall of a tower should be in or near downtown. SLC isn't quite there yet to have 300 foot tall towers in other areas. Downtown SLC still has too many vacant lots & parking lots that need to be filled in, and if they allow that height in Sugarhouse, it could further draw needed vitality in downtown. Plus, I think 300 feet is way more height than is necessary at this point in time. Maybe more in the range of 100 to 200 feet. There is still a lot of single family residential adacent to it and small scale retail. And, before someone throws Vancouver in my face, Vancouver is a much, much different story and context. I do like the massing concept of the tower, though.

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 29, 2023 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 3:26 PM
Space Magi

I think SLC needs more medium density stuff outside of downtown, tbh. More townhomes and rowhomes that people can buy instead of rent. That's how you get more families moving in and long-term investment. Sugar House and Central City would be perfect for brick rowhomes.

From what I understand, these are easier to pencil than condos for developers in SLC. Not sure what the city can do to push things in that direction.

That said, I am not opposed to high density apartments in the commercial area of Sugar House. If they somehow extended the S-Line to the Stadium TRAX stop, it would be an excellent place to live without a car for Westminster and UofU students.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:07 PM
Lahaina Strong

The IOC just officially recommended Salt Lake City as host of the 2034 Winter Olympic

IOC names Salt Lake City preferred host of 2034 Winter Olympics

By Carter Williams, KSL.com | Posted - Nov. 29, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.

Last edited by Paniolo Man; Nov 29, 2023 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Added news article

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
IOC names Salt Lake City preferred host of 2034 Winter Olympics

By Carter Williams, KSL.com | Posted - Nov. 29, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
Which means it's a done deal. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 6:42 PM
Space Magi

Great news. Hopefully we can get people talking about the RGP enough for it to get a serious look.

I think someone here mentioned the future MLB stadium was part of the SLC Olympics proposal.

Does that stadium get built even without a team? Or does this make getting a team even more likely?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:13 PM

There's no chance that Salt Lake City would approove 300+ foot tall buildings in Sugarhouse any time soon. I would be interested to see if they could get, say, 150-200 feet though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West