HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 11:51 PM
I am a typical

My desktop is 1920 by 1200. Finding wallpapers for it is really hard. I miss the days when we all had 15 inch monitors and any picture would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Those homes are so close to the street, what's that about?
They predate cars. No need to have the house 20 feet from the street when the only thing going by is people and the occasional horse drawn carriage. There are a few streets here where the houses are maybe 6 feet from traffic now.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Yea no kidding, those pictures are just wonderful! Would you happen to offer them in a higher resolution, such as 1920x1080 for a desktop background? Or do you keep them to yourself to prevent the hi-res ones from being sold? I wouldn't blame you.
you should be able to download from these links:

MTSC
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/...a67e9b1a_o.jpg

Canwest Park
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/...95ab6c45_o.jpg

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 12:22 AM
I am a typical

If there is more where those came from you should link to your Flickr account.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 1:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
whats wrong with that i got a nice sized garden in the back and a driveway in the back and just as much space for a padio speaking of witch i need to awww deal with my weed issue i been neglecting my back yard :S i do have the garden planted at least

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Thanks so much, WpG_GuY, those will look great on my desktop!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:40 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
This street, and many of the houses on it date back to the 1880s, a period when urbanity was still a fashionable quality in residential construction. By 1900, houses on new residential streets in Western Canada and most Midwest cities began to be set back a bit (ie, in Wolseley) for more pastoral elements: trees, flowers, grass. And of course now, all that has been obliterated by building codes that dictated building setbacks, minimum parking spaces, etc.

On the street in ajs' photo, the lots are 99' in depth--no different than the average Wolseley lot. But the proximity of the houses to the street allows for bigger back yards. So, better public interface in the front (a 'sense of enclosure' for pedestrians, interaction with one's neighbors); and better private space (for gardens, parking, sheds, sun rooms, etc.) in the back.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and rob don't forget better space to interect with niebors in the back to let it be over the fence or by invite or randomnes

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Free Press
Do you agree with the decision to name a Point Douglas Park after Michaelle Jean?
Yes 23% results bar
No 76% results bar

Total Votes: 1287

I voted NO

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 1:21 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I voted NO
That's how I would have voted, too.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
That's how I would have voted, too.
It's been a while since we've named a public institution after Burton Cummings. He had my vote.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:00 PM
Heart of the Continent

I would vote yes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:48 PM
I am a typical

I would only vote yes if the park had a generic name, like "Syndicate Street Park" or something. If it is already named after someone or something important, than leave it.

There are a lot of parks here with generic names (or in a few cases, no public name at all) that could certainly be named after notable people. In Hungary you have to wait until the person has died to name something after them, I think that is good idea.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:57 PM
BANNED

So vid, when are you planning on moving to Winnipeg???

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:00 PM
I am a typical

Whenever 1ajs gets off his ass and fixes that POS Volvo!

And apparently I have to pay him in "bolivard rocks"?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I would vote yes.

How in the hell does she warrant a park being named after her? How has she enriched the lives of those in Point Douglas? Did her blathering on a CBC program nobody watched or her role as a useless appendage (GG) inspire anyone? I think not.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:53 PM
I am a typical

She was an inspiration to PD's large and tight nit Haïtian population.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 7:49 PM
Heart of the Continent

As Governor General, she has inspired many people...especially people in downtrodden situations. You don't like her...well...too bad for you. Oh, and the Governor General is far from a useless position. It is completely necessary traditionally and Constitutionally.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 8:01 PM
I am a typical

But has it inspired people in PD? Do they even know who she is? Why not name it after a community leader?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 9:03 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
As Governor General, she has inspired many people...especially people in downtrodden situations. You don't like her...well...too bad for you. Oh, and the Governor General is far from a useless position. It is completely necessary traditionally and Constitutionally.
I have always found this an interesting debate.

To counter your argument re: necessary traditionally and constitutionally, I would contend that just because something has been a "tradition," does not mean that it should be forever enshrined as necessary. Times change, etc.

But on the note of constitutionally necessary, yes, you're correct that for a parliamentary bill to become law, it must receive Royal Assent (the GG's signature). Additionally, there is a constitutional convention that this will always happen after the bill passes the third reading in both houses - the GG will always sign it, does not get to base providing Royal Assent on their own personal opinions or leanings, and as it is a constitutional convention (which the Supreme Court recognizes), it is quite doubtful our federal court would uphold a GG's decision to withhold assent. The Supreme Court has always ruled that Parliament is supreme, even over the executive (PMO/Cabinet)... any wonder the Harper PMO eventually sat down and came to terms over opposition MPs being able to access unredacted Afghan detainee documents? They knew that if they challenged the Speaker's ruling and it went to the SCoC, it wouldn't be a ruling in their favour (though it would buy time). I digress.

Anyway, as the Royal Assent is a given, or a constitutional convention, there is an argument that the position of GG could be disbanded - just have the bill become enacted law upon the Senate passing the third reading.

The GG is also constitutionally required to grant permission to a PM or majoritarian parliamentary motion to prorogue, suspend or dissolve Parliament; in addition to granting the dissolution following the government's loss of a confidence vote. Again, however, there is now a constitutional convention and an enshrined understanding throughout the commonwealth that the monarchy's representative will not interfere in the realm of political decision making - if it comes in the form of a PM request, it will always be granted, as will dissolution after a lost confidence vote. Quite an interesting course of events that led to this, which took place here in Canada, referred to as the King-Byng Affair. In short, no unelected British monarch or their representatives are to interfere in the political destiny of a nation, hence, permission of such is always granted now.

The rest of the GG duties are ceremonial, such as representing the British monarchy in Canada (there is an argument that the British monarchy is less and less relevant to Canadians, given our large French, Aboriginal and non-Brit-immigrant population). The GG has the title of Commander of the Canadian Armed Forces, but again this is ceremonial and the GG does not have any decision-making authority (orders and military policy comes from the Minister of Defense with PM approval, or the PM directly).

Thing is, of course, no easy task to open-up the constitution. Not easy at all. It would be a can of worms, actually, with every province demanding other changes to the constitution as a trade-off for providing their support. At this time, with the make-up of provincial governing parties who enjoy a majority, it would most certainly not happen (Conservatives and PCs are the traditional monarchist-supporting party of the mainstream parties). As well, some aspects of our constitution, such as it relates to the position, duties, and office of the GG, requires unanimous consent of the provincial legislatures (rather than the typical 2/3 majority of the provincial legislatures that also must account for at least 50% of population). They could all, however, agree to abide by the results of a national referendum on the matter, similar to the failed Charlottetown Accord (where not every province agreed to abide, and the No vote won anyway).

It really isn't that huge an issue, the role of the British monarchy and the GG in Canada, and is more tied to identity and tradition than policy of course. Identity and tradition change, and IMO, we should be mindful of that with our institutions of governance. Besides, quite a few countries that are a republic and have both a president and a prime minister, the role of the president is also largely symbolic without decision-making abilities. I would imagine that if Canada were to become a republic, we would be fashioned on this model, with the full functions of the executive retained by the PM and Cabinet, where the only waves a symbolic figure head can make is by misspeaking, or by photo-op antics.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 12:01 AM
I am a typical

But why go through all the trouble of replacing something with what is essentially the same thing when what is already there is working just fine? There are much better things to spend our time and money on than converting the country to a republic when the constitutional monarchy system isn't failing us at all. If anything, parliament should be reformed. Fairer elections and more proportional representation are, in my opinion, more important than having an elected head of state.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan