HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:06 PM
BANNED

What is clear by the city’s priorities is they are building a city to attract newcomers, visitors, and outside investment. I would rather have a city that was built for the people that already live here, first. If we accomplish that, then sure, let’s work on growth as well. Focusing on growth has not resulted in equitable benefits for Regina citizens and clearly only exacerbated inequalities while the general economic and social infrastructure seems to be deteriorating again.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:07 PM

Wow why is Regina so obsessed with putting all their money and resources in sports facilities ?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Wow why is Regina so obsessed with putting all their money and resources in sports facilities ?
Nearly every city is the same.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post

What an odd thing to say... maybe it's for the same reason we replaced our sports facilities? i.e. the existing ones are old and obsolete?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:56 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Based on the report that's going to Exec committee, I feel as if the favoured site is somewhere along Lorne. If you look at the map of 'trails' they've specifically highlighted existing and proposed conditions along Lorne. Some may recall years back that the Library tried to (but unsuccessfully) secure the block for a proposed new central library. I also feel like the talk about "modernizing" the central library in conjunction (as opposed to talking about a new build) is another clue. Now that being said, would the budgeted $24M for land assembly cover the costs of purchasing the other buildings on site.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:59 PM

Lorne and what? Between 11th and 12th? What about the Court house? Or on the east side you're now dealing with Sasktel.

Rose between 11th and 12th would be easier. Cheaper and fewer owners. Trying to buy out a crown is just asking to be told no.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:06 PM

A sign at the entrance to the SaskPower GTH construction site had a picture of the site layout. Lots of planned parking.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Edit: only 3 sites are downtown. REAL says there are [5] potential downtown sites that could accommodate an Arena. They say 4 acres are required. That is one entire city block. Keep in mind that streets can be closed or moved. What are your top 5 choices? Mine are:

1. West side of Albert between Sask Place and SK Dr.
2. Capital Pointe block on Albert;
3. East side of 18 block Broad;
4. West side of 18 block Broad;
5. North side of SK drive between Lorne and Albert.

Here is that map with all roadways and parking in the same colour, to illustrate how crappy our downtown is:

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

What an odd thing to say... maybe it's for the same reason we replaced our sports facilities? i.e. the existing ones are old and obsolete?
Whl attendance has plummeted league wide for over a decade now and baseball is dying. And construction and inflation costs skyrocketing this is a terrible time to take on these sorts of projects

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:58 PM

Of my previous downtown guesses, I believe the Sask Drive site if out as it has no buildings and all 3 sites have demolition costs. Also I forgot about the north Canadian Oils building on the Capital Pointe block, so that is out too. I do not see any viable sites on Lorne. 18 block has 2 heritage buildings. The preferred site has $8 million in demo costs, so it must have several buildings.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 8:31 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Of my previous downtown guesses, I believe the Sask Drive site if out as it has no buildings and all 3 sites have demolition costs. Also I forgot about the north Canadian Oils building on the Capital Pointe block, so that is out too. I do not see any viable sites on Lorne. 18 block has 2 heritage buildings. The preferred site has $8 million in demo costs, so it must have several buildings.
There's not a lot of space on Saskatchewan Drive before the railroad tracks which would make the cost of the build a lot more. I can't see an expandable to ~15000 arena fitting there.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There's not a lot of space on Saskatchewan Drive before the railroad tracks which would make the cost of the build a lot more. I can't see an expandable to ~15000 arena fitting there.
You could move SK Dr. to the south, but that might not be too practical. You would need to acquire the Empire and the Rawlco parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 10:32 PM

Today, the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion announced a federal contribution of nearly $34 million to support the creation of 68 transitional housing units and 40 shelter beds, for a total of 108 housing units, as well as critical support services at the YWCA Regina Centre for Women and Families building in the city's downtown core.

The Honourable Gene Makowsky, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, Regina Mayor Sandra Masters, and Melissa Coomber-Bendtsen, the CEO of the YWCA Regina, also joined Minister Hussen to make this announcement. The Government of Saskatchewan, through Saskatchewan Housing Corporation is providing $1 million and the City of Regina is providing the land valued at $2 million. To date, YWCA Regina is bringing $13 million in capital funding to the project through their ongoing community capital campaign.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...852547088.html More good news

The building is expected to be completed in Fall of 2024.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 12:33 AM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/ywca-annou...ence-1.5967100

Members of government, the City of Regina, donors and community partners joined the YWCA to announce the $60 million project, which will be located in Regina’s Cathedral neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:37 AM

Truly great news regarding the YWCA and will be huge for the community.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:50 AM
Canadian Urbanite

'The Vue at Lakeshore'
https://harvard.ca/leasing/leasing-p...at%20Lakeshore

Quote:
On the doorstep of picturesque Wascana Park, and just a few short minutes to downtown Regina is a diamond of a project that is ready to be cut and shaped into something never seen before.

Welcome to The Vue at Lakeshore.

A place where residents can enjoy boutique retail and dining right outside their front door, The Vue will offer a shopping destination surrounded by lush parks and gardens, sweeping views, and iconic centrepiece residences – designed to inspire and revolutionize the Regina shopping experience.
First phase will be retail. Looks like the plan hasn't changed since the earlier concepts.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Truly great news regarding the YWCA and will be huge for the community.
I thought the usual NIMBY's in Cathedral who think they live in Beverly Hills opposed this the last time it was brought up?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I thought the usual NIMBY's in Cathedral who think they live in Beverly Hills opposed this the last time it was brought up?
No, that project is going full tilt.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:12 PM
Canadian Urbanite

The Provincial government contributed a total of $1M to this project???
Oof.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
The Provincial government contributed a total of $1M to this project???
Oof.
They really are quite open and honest about their complete lack of care and accountability to the most vulnerable people of this province aren’t they?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan