HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
Yeah, but the under-utilized Gallivan Plaza is half a block north with food trucks and seating. The city doesn't need another tiny park, especially there.
Oh, that's right. I forgot where I was posting: A 600 foot tower!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:04 AM

Yeah, I don't like this idea for a myriad of reasons. I don't like the eminent domain aspect of it and I don't want to see a park there.

This property is in the center of what was intended to be the financial district. Yes, I would like to see a tower there and a 600 footer would be great, although unlikely. but, even if we end up with a hole in the ground or a parking lot, at least there is the potential for something useful in the future, but if we eminent domain it to build another park, right across the street from Gallivan Plaza witch is used more as a homeless hangout than anything else, then it will forever be a broken tooth in the urban fabric (Similar to "Rocky Mountain Power Plaza" on West Temple.)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 12:45 PM

It's probably not the best use to convert yardstick into a small park, but only because of its proximity to Gallivan Plaza. However, I completely agree that there are areas throughout the greater city center which should be considered for small parks. Just a thought, but for me downtown has always been from 700 East to 600 West.

Also, Owners of a property especially those who have been as neglectful as those of the yardstick have been, should be at the very minimum required to replace the idle plot with a temporarily landscaped and maintained space. At least until the property is ready for development. I liked how the 95 South State site was attractively landscaped until it was ready for development. That should also be the requirement of any of these smaller properties like the Hines Theater Tower etc. Most of us remember the uproar that occurred in Sugar House when Mecham demoed a large piece of infrastructure but for a myriad of excuses wasn't ready to develop the site.
Whatever the current laws are on these derelict smaller properties it's pretty obvious that some changes need to be made and some common sense laws instituted. Even if these land bankers who own large acreage and refuse to sell their parking lots should be charged enough of a fee by the city that the lot can be turned into a temporary orchard with parking like the property on 5th and Main. Whoever the land owner is, a religious denomination umbrella, or some California group of doctors/investors, or some offshore ownership group, etc., Salt Lake needs to find a legal and more creative way to advance its efforts to move development and beautification forward.

Edit: Admittedly, I get a little militant when it comes to property owners and the lack of how they maintain their ownership responsibilities. If you lived in or have lived in Central L.A. as long as I have you'd know exactly what I mean.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 31, 2023 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 1:37 PM

I actually don't want a park there either. I don't actually want to eminent domain the property either. I've done a test fit for the property for a >400' tower. Worked out a preliminary pro forma. Even strategized on how to mitigate those digital billboards across the street, at least during certain hours, without just copping out with blackout shades. I had tried to contact the owners. I tried to work with a RE agent to try to contact the owners. I've talked to planners and land law experts about tax strategies to incentivize the owners to do something with the property, like taxing based on buildable volume. I started this all over a decade ago. Believe me when I say, I want that property developed. It is the literal definition of prime real estate. Just like it was in 2012. Just like it was in 1989. Eminent domain should be a last resort. And doing it for a park in such a location is stupid. And doing it to hand over to a private developer under the pretense of economic development, though logical and justifiable, even more so than Kelo, is nonetheless fraught, especially in this state. So yeah, I agree with all of you. And what we're all still left with is a literal hole in the ground.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:05 PM

New Construction at Moda Luxe site

Does anyone know what is going in at the old Moda Luxe site on 200 East?

There was a lot of construction activity there yesterday when I walked by!!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:18 PM

^^^
Is that the new liquor store downtown on Edison or have they started on the newly announced Moda Luxe development? Also, Old&New posted a little while ago that they had started reconstruction on the old University Club Tower. Can anyone confirm that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Personally I think Astra does a lot for the skyline. I always expected that it wouldn’t appear as the tallest, but it does fill in a gap. It has a clear presence from the east. I’m concerned about the north facade though.
That north wall along with the blank walls on the Hyatt would be an excellent canvas for some permanent cool public art. Here in Downtown L.A., on Wilshire, and on Sunset what they've done with those types of situations is either public art or placing an attractive canvas-type announcement depicting the opening of the new Opera Season, or Symphony, or particularly on Sunset Blvd. a cool depiction of the premier of a major movie. Remember the canvases for the advent of City Creek or during the Olympics.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 31, 2023 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know what is going in at the old Moda Luxe site on 200 East?

There was a lot of construction activity there yesterday when I walked by!!
Moda Luxe was cancelled for this new development:https://buildingsaltlake.com/j-fishe...ding-downtown/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
Moda Luxe was cancelled for this new development:https://buildingsaltlake.com/j-fishe...ding-downtown/
So I guess the city approved it even though it's only 83 feet tall? (100 feet is required in D-1). I don't hate the project. In fact, I like the brick elements and the four retail spaces. But a little height would be appropriate in this neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:44 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
So I guess the city approved it even though it's only 83 feet tall? (100 feet is required in D-1). I don't hate the project. In fact, I like the brick elements and the four retail spaces. But a little height would be appropriate in this neighborhood.
I don't think they have presented it to the planning commission yet, so it's not approved. Maybe they're just getting the site ready.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I don't think they have presented it to the planning commission yet, so it's not approved. Maybe they're just getting the site ready.
Getting the site ready to sit empty for another three years

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 10:58 PM
They all float down here

I hate it here sometimes lmao

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:25 AM

Photo bump

I’m downtown tonight with my new camera phone. Hopefully these pictures aren’t too big.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:02 AM
Space Magi

Nice shots!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:18 PM

Thanks for the pics, Riley -- that Zion's Bank Parking Lot needs to go sometime, right?

Riiiiiight???

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:09 PM
Space Magi

Skyline shot from Scott Taylor from a couple weeks ago:

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Thanks for the pics, Riley -- that Zion's Bank Parking Lot needs to go sometime, right?

Riiiiiight???
It’s an emotional support parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Personally, I still think it should be rejected by the planning commission. What was the point of eliminating the lower height minimums in the very rare D-1 Zone if they just start allowing more 'exceptions' to be made.

Approving this project would be just as egregious a mistake as the Randi was. More wasted downtown space for average and suburban heighted projects. All that is different is this has a midblock walkway.

The Planning Commission needs to hold these developers to the relatively basic and achievable standards the City has already set for its Downtown. It's time they start putting their foot down, or we will be stuck with countless 5-7 floor buildings built by small minds and short-term thinkers.

Right now, developers think the city will basically approve anything, so they design to the lowest quality that they believe will be approved, even when that is below what the code and standards ask for.

While I would love for our standards to be even greater, I think the age of giving reprieve to laziness needs to end.

In my opinion, it is better to make sure Downtown is built right, than to settle and regret it for decades. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Nov 2, 2023 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Personally, I still think it should be rejected by the planning commission. What was the point of eliminating the lower height minimums in the very rare D-1 Zone if they just start allowing more 'exceptions' to be made.

Approving this project would be just as egregious a mistake as the Randi was. More wasted downtown space for average and suburban heighted projects. All that is different is this has a midblock walkway.

The Planning Commission needs to hold these developers to the relatively basic and achievable standards the City has already set for its Downtown. It's time they start putting their foot down, or we will be stuck with countless 5-7 floor buildings built by small minds and short-term thinkers.

Right now, developers think the city will basically approve anything, so they design to the lowest quality that they believe will be approved, even when that is below what the code and standards ask for.

While I would love for our standards to be even greater, I think the age of giving reprieve to laziness needs to end.

In my opinion, it is better to make sure Downtown is built right, than to settle and regret it for decades. But maybe that's just me.
Enthusiastic yes to all of his.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Skyline shot from Scott Taylor from a couple weeks ago:

I know it wouldn't fit, but I wish a major league (or minor league) stadium could go where West High's baseball filed currently is. The view of the skyline and mountains would be amazing

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 11:49 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I know it wouldn't fit, but I wish a major league (or minor league) stadium could go where West High's baseball filed currently is. The view of the skyline and mountains would be amazing
Would have been perfect across from the Delta Center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West