HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:22 PM

At least the Yardstick owners increased the available land lease to 60 years. Still not the ideal scenario of just selling the property, but it provides more options than the 20 year land lease they originally offered. If I were the city, I'd try to find every way possible to eminent domain the shit out of that property because the owners have been absentee for 30 years. Then just turn it into a park.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 10:55 PM
They all float down here

btw this is the building they demolished

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:05 PM
Lahaina Strong

Regarding 754 South State:

Quote:
Hey, Nathan. Thanks for reaching out!
We're excited about this project and know how important it is to the community. After the Council's first briefing and meeting with business owners from the area, the Council requested more info about the layout of the building, commercial spaces, and other features, given the City's recent downtown and State Street planning goals.
Intermountain Health is considering some options and needed additional time before a follow-up discussion is scheduled. We hope that the next discussion and Council action can occur in the coming months. Stay tuned at https://tinyurl.com/754StateStreetRezone

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:31 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
btw this is the building they demolished
Sure, but it actually looked like this

And the old derelict had caught on fire as recently as last year

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:57 PM
They all float down here

Yes. I know. I am only pointing out what it was. Salt Lake has no appreciation for history - as is shown in that entire block with the recladding of some great historic buildings.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 4:28 AM

It's sad that we ever let the Yardstick get as bad as it was. There's really got to be a some kind of policy to prevent that level of neglectful land banking.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 6:43 AM

If you actually see behind the beat up structures that face 300 south, you would see a giant concrete hole. It’s actually really odd. When I managed the 5702 parking structure (can’t remember what it’s actually called but it’s behind the formerly known EA office building) you could really see it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 7:57 PM

Now I can publicly mourn the loss of the speakeasy behind the Yardstick.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:57 PM

Peeps. I’m here for my brother’s wedding, holy moly. This city is booming. The amount of construction is impressive. I’m actually dry jealous of you all. The density change is a beautiful thing. It’s not anything like the salt lake I left 5 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 11:34 PM

/\/\/\

Yup!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:16 AM
Lahaina Strong

October 27 pictures

I enjoyed the sunny weather this afternoon by checking out the new pedestrian bridge and a few other projects around town.

I'll spare this page more exterior photos of the bridge since I recently posted a few. It's very nice, though it has no cameras which worries me. I fear the elevators will become public restrooms in the late hours of the night.

The bridge affords an amazing view of Salt Lake Crossing.

It also grants a lovely view of Camber.

Brix.

Crossing at 9th.

Art West Townhomes.

LaraDean Townhomes.

TAG 400 Townhomes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:40 PM

I walked by the Moda Luxe site late last week and noticed some very long steel beams on the site along with other construction material and some workers were on site.

Does anyone know what will be going up on this site?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:57 PM

Some fairly recent pics of that project at 900 E/S-Line and new El Cholo restaurant.

I would really like to see those abandoned (?) tennis courts across the S-Line developed into something Similar. The Sugar House boys and girls club should be rebuilt more similar to the north temple location too.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It's sad that we ever let the Yardstick get as bad as it was. There's really got to be a some kind of policy to prevent that level of neglectful land banking.
Property taken by eminent domain may be for government use or by delegation to third parties, who will devote it to public or civic use or, in some cases, to economic development.

Eniment Domain in the US

The last bit, for economic development, is a bit controversial and if done in a case like this would not be eligible for federal funds due to a Bush the Dumber executive order. But it is supported by SCOTUS precedent (Kelo), which the order was in response to. But this is also probably why it was never done in this case. I doubt there would be the political will locally to make such a move against a private owner for the public good. Even after 30 years of neglect and blight.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:38 PM
Space Magi

I don't think eminent domain on the Yardstick property would be popular or set a good precedent.

Some kind of new tax on empty/parking lots in D1 might be more viable. It could force some of these land bankers to sell. Aside from Yardstick, the lots around West Temple / 300S come to mind. Might still be wishful thinking though.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I don't think eminent domain on the Yardstick property would be popular or set a good precedent.

Some kind of new tax on empty/parking lots in D1 might be more viable. It could force some of these land bankers to sell. Aside from Yardstick, the lots around West Temple / 300S come to mind. Might still be wishful thinking though.
Well the precedents have already been set in ED law and whether it's popular or not doesn't matter, per se. The controversial option would be the Kelo model of taking the property then signing it over to a third party private developer under the pretense of economic development. But taking a property blighted for 30 years in the heart of downtown? That's definitely within ED's wheelhouse.

This isn't like a parking lot or other severely underutilized property. Those at least are productive in some measure, and don't create an ongoing hazard of a neglected and derelict building. For 30 years.

I suggested a park because that's a justifiable public good. Then you could build a large pavilion to address the street and add to the urban character. Put the park space in the back. Maybe even have some graffiti wall to pay homage to the 30 years of blight. Invite some food trucks, have lots of incidental and movable seating. It would be a great little pocket park that could be programmed all year round.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:11 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy4thePeople View Post
Well the precedents have already been set in ED law and whether it's popular or not doesn't matter, per se. The controversial option would be the Kelo model of taking the property then signing it over to a third party private developer under the pretense of economic development. But taking a property blighted for 30 years in the heart of downtown? That's definitely within ED's wheelhouse.

This isn't like a parking lot or other severely underutilized property. Those at least are productive in some measure, and don't create an ongoing hazard of a neglected and derelict building. For 30 years.

I suggested a park because that's a justifiable public good. Then you could build a large pavilion to address the street and add to the urban character. Put the park space in the back. Maybe even have some graffiti wall to pay homage to the 30 years of blight. Invite some food trucks, have lots of incidental and movable seating. It would be a great little pocket park that could be programmed all year round.
Silliness. For all intents a purposes, impossible. Cities wouldn't ever touch it in a case like this with a ten foot pole.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:12 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Silliness. For all intents a purposes, impossible. Cities wouldn't ever touch it in a case like this with a ten foot pole.
I would also like to point out that the above was my 666th post on this forum
\m/ \m/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
It's a perfectly viable tool. What's silly is any belief that it would happen here. Whether or not other cities might do it or not isn't a very interesting hypothetical to me.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy4thePeople View Post
Then you could build a large pavilion to address the street and add to the urban character. Put the park space in the back. Maybe even have some graffiti wall to pay homage to the 30 years of blight. Invite some food trucks, have lots of incidental and movable seating. It would be a great little pocket park that could be programmed all year round.
Yeah, but the under-utilized Gallivan Plaza is half a block north with food trucks and seating. The city doesn't need another tiny park, especially there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West