The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 2:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 11:14 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 30, 2021 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 5:21 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 6:59 PM

I am kinda surprised this tower hasen't triggered a friendly city rivalry between Brooklyn and Queens.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
I am kinda surprised this tower hasen't triggered a friendly city rivalry between Brooklyn and Queens.
It can't. Queens is always going to have a "relatively" smaller skyline because of the FAA and height regulations. Or at least some parts of Queens, I'm not an expert on the subject.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 7:35 PM

Well after seeing it in person last week, even more impressive than expected. This thing is a BEAST!

Walking around the immediate area, it had a much different vibe than I expected. It seemed quieter and much more 'neighborhood like' in that it was a locals-only area and had a different feeling - I was expecting it to feel more like a chunk of (denser, busier) Manhattan/Chicago and instead of felt a little more approachable and livable. Not saying good, bad, or otherwise, just a different feel than I was expecting.

I was expecting the area to be a lot more gentrified (take that as good or bad, I am not suggesting anything) to attract such a high-end development. Maybe that is coming?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 11:27 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Nice to see Brooklyn getting a supertall. Hopefully it’s not the only one. We need another one with an observation deck.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 11:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

damn, look at brooklyn now, sprouting a big-boy skyline all by itself!

and this tower is all kinds of delicious.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
I was expecting the area to be a lot more gentrified (take that as good or bad, I am not suggesting anything) to attract such a high-end development. Maybe that is coming?
The immediate area around the tower is the Fulton Mall area, which is a working class retail district. So, yeah, it doesn't feel particularly gentrified. It's mostly chain stores, and the clientele has, until recently, been working class non-locals, mostly nonwhite, often from the West Indies. Though it's kind of an island, within a gentrified geography.

But if you go 2-3 blocks in any direction, you head into extremely gentrified areas, where prices are essentially the same as Manhattan. So it's very hyperlocal.

Fulton Mall isn't fancy, but it's extremely successful. Retail rents are by some measures the highest in the U.S. outside of Manhattan. Ever hear the Biz Markie song "Albee Square"? This tower partially replaces the Albee Square mall, which was a 1980's-1990's mall catering to working class, mostly black Caribbean folks.

The Fulton Mall has zoning that's ideal for tall towers, so the corridor is finally turning into a very dense, tall corridor of luxury residential towers. It'll be unrecognizable in a decade, though I suspect it'll always be a retail hub, given that's the transit nexus for Brooklyn for subway, bus and LIRR.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The immediate area around the tower is the Fulton Mall area, which is a working class retail district. So, yeah, it doesn't feel particularly gentrified. It's mostly chain stores, and the clientele has, until recently, been working class non-locals, mostly nonwhite, often from the West Indies. Though it's kind of an island, within a gentrified geography.

But if you go 2-3 blocks in any direction, you head into extremely gentrified areas, where prices are essentially the same as Manhattan. So it's very hyperlocal.

Fulton Mall isn't fancy, but it's extremely successful. Retail rents are by some measures the highest in the U.S. outside of Manhattan. Ever hear the Biz Markie song "Albee Square"? This tower partially replaces the Albee Square mall, which was a 1980's-1990's mall catering to working class, mostly black Caribbean folks.

The Fulton Mall has zoning that's ideal for tall towers, so the corridor is finally turning into a very dense, tall corridor of luxury residential towers. It'll be unrecognizable in a decade, though I suspect it'll always be a retail hub, given that's the transit nexus for Brooklyn for subway, bus and LIRR.
I'm a Brit, but until Covid I was working in New York, and living in Dumbo (which is very gentrified, and almost as hipster as Williamsburg). I used to go up that way quite a lot as Trader Joe's, in the basement of City Point on the next block to the Brooklyn Tower, was much better value than anything closer to my apartment (at least until Wegmans landed at the Naval Dock Yards). City Point also has a great food court downstairs with Trader Joe's, a Target and an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, so it was an important location for me. The streets immediately around it did feel a lot less gentrified than Dumbo and Brooklyn Heights (and quite a chunk of Downtown Brooklyn now). I hope they can get the balance right of smartening the Fulton Street Mall up a bit without pricing the locals out of the market. Sadly, I doubt it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Well after seeing it in person last week, even more impressive than expected. This thing is a BEAST!

Walking around the immediate area, it had a much different vibe than I expected. It seemed quieter and much more 'neighborhood like' in that it was a locals-only area and had a different feeling - I was expecting it to feel more like a chunk of (denser, busier) Manhattan/Chicago and instead of felt a little more approachable and livable. Not saying good, bad, or otherwise, just a different feel than I was expecting.

This area has always been the heart and soul of Downtown Brooklyn. I used to work there, years ago, before this talk of gentrification. A lot if developments in the area are obviosly new, but it will always belong to the locals, as evidenced by the streets. It’s not yet at pre-pandemic levels, but it will be.

As far as a supertall development, this isn’t your typical “billionaires row” supertall. There will be condos, but rentals as well, with some affordable housing. The next supertall team-up of JDS Development and SHoP Architects in the city is actually shown in the latest rendering, just accross the bridge. It will be a rental, with 25% affordable units.

https://jdsdevelopment.com/portfolio/cherry-street

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 6:39 PM

This beauty is seen in my latest video from Broad Channel, Queens, BY NYCSKYSCRAPERS2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlrYncbocM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 6:52 PM

Some pics from this morning also I took, BY NYMAN2010:

NEW YORK CITY SKYLINE, NOVEMBER 1ST, 2021. by NYMAN2010, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 2, 2021 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Here comes the "it" crowd...

https://guestofaguest.com/new-york/e...brooklyn-tower

The City's It Crowd Turns Up To Celebrate The Brooklyn Tower

by Guest of A Guest
November 1, 2021

Quote:
Have you ever been to a party where the dress code is 'Construction Site Chic?'

Uh yeah, didn't think so.

Last week, JDS Development's Michael Stern and SHoP Architecture hosted a blowout day of festivities celebrating the topping out of The Brooklyn Tower, the borough's first and only supertall.

Stylish guests from Athena Calderone to Timo Weiland and Emily Godard sported their chicest ensembles (featuring closed toe shoes, of course) for both the site walkthrough and subsequent fête inside the historic Dime Savings Bank located just next door.

Timo Weiland

Athena Calderone, Marci Clark

Defne Aydintasbas, Ian Volner, Kat Herriman, Anthony DeWitt

Ethan Elkins, Jaden Sage Greene, Baylie Bodiford

Malike Sidibe

Maximilian Eicke, Irina Eicke-Krylova

Doquan Hines, Marissa Caputo, Athena Calderone, Edvin Thompson

Emily Godard, Casey Kohlberg, Mercedes de Guardiola, Bryan Ludwig, Tova Volcheck

Douglas Brown

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Junior's Cock. Noyce.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 6:37 PM
El Guátqui

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
this tower is all kinds of delicious.
Quote:
As far as a supertall development, this isn’t your typical “billionaires row” supertall. There will be condos, but rentals as well, with some affordable housing. The next supertall team-up of JDS Development and SHoP Architects in the city is actually shown in the latest rendering, just accross the bridge. It will be a rental, with 25% affordable units.
This thing is everything a skyscraper ought to be; I love it.

"It must be tall, every inch of it tall. The force and power of altitude must be in it, the glory and pride of exaltation must be in it. It must be every inch a proud and soaring thing, rising in sheer exaltation that from bottom to top it is a unit without a single dissenting line..." -Louis Sullivan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 10:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan de California View Post
This thing is everything a skyscraper ought to be; I love it.

"It must be tall, every inch of it tall. The force and power of altitude must be in it, the glory and pride of exaltation must be in it. It must be every inch a proud and soaring thing, rising in sheer exaltation that from bottom to top it is a unit without a single dissenting line..." -Louis Sullivan
Yes it is. We have SHoP Architects and Michael Stern to thank for this beauty. It was always gorgeous, but the more I see it, the more I like it. It’s right up there with my favorites, and it’s not even completed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

I could look at this tower all day. It would look good at any time, but it seems just right for a crisp, fall day.

NOVEMBER 3, 2021

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture