HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:07 PM
Trying to learn more

"It’s no exaggeration to say that Hamilton offers one of Canada’s top—if most unexpected—epicurean adventures. Long unfairly dismissed as a working-class town with few surprises, the city has benefited massively from nearby Toronto’s soaring cost of living, which has sent young would-be restauranteurs and ambitious chefs to Hamilton for an affordable way to make their names."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandram.../#6f20fee56449

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:54 PM

I fully agree that our food scene has grown nicely the last few years, but sometimes wonder how these articles get published?
I mean, every single city I've ever visited has multiple donut shops way better than donut monster. I live around the corner from Donut Monster and don't remember the last time I was there. Basic, kinda bland, nothing out of the ordinary donuts. Good, but not world-class.

Surely there are more signs of our food scene worth publishing than that? Heck, I LOVE Hambrgr, but again, every city I've visited has identical cool spots with wicked burgs. Nobody would leave TO to visit these spots - they have dozens of them in their own city.

Again, not to be a Debbie downer - our city food scene is improving nicely...but it's nothing like Montreal, TO, Vancouver etc.....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I fully agree that our food scene has grown nicely the last few years, but sometimes wonder how these articles get published?
I mean, every single city I've ever visited has multiple donut shops way better than donut monster. I live around the corner from Donut Monster and don't remember the last time I was there. Basic, kinda bland, nothing out of the ordinary donuts. Good, but not world-class.

Surely there are more signs of our food scene worth publishing than that? Heck, I LOVE Hambrgr, but again, every city I've visited has identical cool spots with wicked burgs. Nobody would leave TO to visit these spots - they have dozens of them in their own city.

Again, not to be a Debbie downer - our city food scene is improving nicely...but it's nothing like Montreal, TO, Vancouver etc.....
I mean, where to start.

1) Maybe wouldn't leave Tdot, but if they're here to visit something else like Dundas peak for example, they may stop in and get food now. Plus there are nearly a million people within the CMA of Hamilton, including Burlington, Grimsby and for those travelling a bit further, Brantford and St Catherine's.

2) I literally don't know what you're talking about with Donut Monster. They always have different flavours, and are trying new things. Theyre affordable for gourmet doughnuts, and they are definitely not ordinary doughnuts. Some of the flavours they've had are straight up no-go for doughnuts, but they did them anyway.

Hamilton is way more amazing to us, than to outsiders, but I personally know people that have come to Hamilton from Toronto for events and food scene things.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:29 PM

I cant agree that donut monster donuts taste kinda bland or basic.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I mean, where to start.

1) Maybe wouldn't leave Tdot, but if they're here to visit something else like Dundas peak for example, they may stop in and get food now. Plus there are nearly a million people within the CMA of Hamilton, including Burlington, Grimsby and for those travelling a bit further, Brantford and St Catherine's.

2) I literally don't know what you're talking about with Donut Monster. They always have different flavours, and are trying new things. Theyre affordable for gourmet doughnuts, and they are definitely not ordinary doughnuts. Some of the flavours they've had are straight up no-go for doughnuts, but they did them anyway.

Hamilton is way more amazing to us, than to outsiders, but I personally know people that have come to Hamilton from Toronto for events and food scene things.
Huh, interesting. Maybe it's me. Im headed to TO again later this week and everytime I visit I find myself wishing Hamilton had 1/10th of the food/drink/cafe action that Toronto does. Ya I suppose if you're in Brantford, Burlington, Grimsby Hamilton def has some cool spots you won't find out there. Which really makes sense, and should be what we strive to become: a solid regional city centre. We'll never compete with the big cities, but no reason we can't become the hub of this part of the Horseshoe.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Huh, interesting. Maybe it's me. Im headed to TO again later this week and everytime I visit I find myself wishing Hamilton had 1/10th of the food/drink/cafe action that Toronto does. Ya I suppose if you're in Brantford, Burlington, Grimsby Hamilton def has some cool spots you won't find out there. Which really makes sense, and should be what we strive to become: a solid regional city centre. We'll never compete with the big cities, but no reason we can't become the hub of this part of the Horseshoe.
Exactly. There is zero competing with Toronto. Hamilton will hit 1 million at the same time that Toronto hits 5-6million. We won't ever catch up because Toronto is a machine.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:41 PM

The nature of Hamilton being 1/6th size means it’s always going to be “worse” than Toronto for many things. Doesn’t mean Hamilton can’t become a respectable mid-sized city with a lot of attractions for its size. It’s proximity to Toronto and urban nature can offer a much more affordable, stress free urban lifestyle without the problems Toronto has, while still being accessible to the city too.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:48 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
I spend a lot of time in Toronto and I find their restaurant scene is more focused on chains or ultra high end whereas Hamilton is focused more on unique startups. Personally I much rather eat here! Don't get me wrong the sheer volume of food options in The6ix is mind boggling and I can always find something to eat but I love our fast growing food scene here!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:17 PM

Yeah I was just reading a thread on the Toronto subreddit about Kensington market and everyone was lamenting that Toronto was just becoming a city of Rexalls and chain restaurants.

With Maipai and Brothers Grimm opening recently the food scene in the city is definitely growing.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Yeah I was just reading a thread on the Toronto subreddit about Kensington market and everyone was lamenting that Toronto was just becoming a city of Rexalls and chain restaurants.

With Maipai and Brothers Grimm opening recently the food scene in the city is definitely growing.

And yet within a few square blocks of Kensington/Spadina/Queen/College there are more amazing eateries and food options than all of Hamilton combined.
Was just in Kensington recently and didn't see a Rexall, although one may have opened since then. Anything that I've ever had 'the best' of - Thai, Ramen, Indian, Italian, street food, cafe, bakery etc.... has all been in TO.

I love our local establishments here, but as was mentioned earlier - we just can't compete with TO.
Let's try to be better than Burlington/Brantford and become the main draw for this part of the Horseshoe.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 3:43 PM

Walked by Gallagher's and there's a building permit for a bar/restaurant now.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:18 PM

Paper Crane beside the old Gallagher's has shut down. Never seemed busy when I walked by.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:26 PM

Gallagers also has new windows and doors at street level now... looking good

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Was just in Kensington recently and didn't see a Rexall, although one may have opened since then.
SW corner of Spadina and College - it's been there for a while

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 7:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lately I've been trying to support our local restaurants by ordering take-out and ordering from Uber Eats/Skip the Dish.

Have you guys done the same? If so, any good suggestions to try out?

These guys need our support more than ever.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 8:18 PM

I agree. My family ordered from India Village in Dundas and thoroughly enjoyed it. We're going to go back once it opens up again for sit downs

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

At Castelli Cucina (James St N) you can order dinner kits for delivery or pick up, they'll give you all of the ingredients. It's kinda like Hello Fresh.

https://www.exploretock.com/castellicucina

For $50 you get everything to make four pizzas. For $20 you get everything to have cannoli. If you want pasta you can get two pizza doughs and Rigatoni pasta for $50. The delivery is included in the $50 total.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:58 PM

Aceti’s Pizzeria closes after 54 years in Hamilton

Posted 06 May 2020 Michael Kras | Urbanicity

One of Hamilton’s longstanding pizzerias and sports bars has announced it is closing its doors and turning off its pizza ovens after over half a century in business.

Aceti’s Pizzeria, located on Main Street East in lower Hamilton, has become well-established with locals for its cozy, lived-in atmosphere and its killer pizzas, pastas, and pub food. Originally founded by husband and wife duo Leonardo and Rosina Aceti in 1966, the restaurant has been a Hamilton staple for 54 years.

The pizzeria has been officially closed as of Friday, May 1st.

“So many staff members to thank as they all became part of the Aceti’s Family and part of the lore that is Aceti’s Pizzeria & Sports Bar,” the pizzeria said in a farewell post to social media. “And to our long loyal customers, we say thank you and we’ll miss you!”

The post – which was met with a mass outpouring of heartbreak from longtime Aceti’s fans – doesn’t indicate whether or not the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic had anything to do with the decision to close up shop, or if this was something Aceti’s was planning regardless.

But is this really the end for this Hamilton icon? Will there be any sort of future for Aceti’s?

Well, subtle hints in their Facebook announcement and an urging for Hamiltonians to “stay tuned” suggest that we just might see Aceti’s, or at least a version of it, return to Hamilton in one way or another someday soon.

In the meantime, let’s keep our greasy pizza fingers crossed, Hamilton!

https://urbanicity.com/hamilton/eats...tLZvh507ZfEV3k

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:46 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SVuAllkQq/

interesting little videoclip from HMBRGR (via KiWi condo), intros an upcoming restaurant (Matty's Hot Chicken ~2:42 in video)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 10:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Had dinner at Industria last weekend. We had made a reservation at Nique and were very disappointed by the patio and menu, so began a hunt for something else and ended up there. It was really good -- the food was plentiful (a little too much salt, but some may like that) and the drinks were really great too. We didn't try the pizza but the entrees were delicious.

Nice atmosphere too, with the windows opening out on Jackson.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation