HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
I aged 10 years watching that…..
Really? Well, I still look young. Lol.

It's ok, only football. It doesn't really matter to people not involved in that business.
Of course, I'm very disappointed. Even a bit angry.
Our team just wasn't strong enough. They were better overall and deserve the win.
There's nothing more to say.

I'm only wondering why you guys on here would root so hard for Argentina, a country that doesn't care about yours, though.
The Argents like France. They don't know crap about Canada.
That's why you don't like us Frenchies.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:27 PM

For the largest event in the world, you'd think the trophy would be more impressive. Looks hilarious when 2 guys are carrying that little thing out like that. It's not even a cup lol.

And when it comes to North America in 4 years, which airline gets to supply the flight attendants for the ceremony? I was joking with my wife when those women came out that they looked like flight attendants. Then I looked up flight attendants for Qatar airlines and that's their uniform lol.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:27 PM
SUSPENDED

Well the better team today won. France didn’t show up first half and Argentina did. I hate penalties but Argentina had the mettle, France didn’t.

Really happy for Argentina and Messi.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quite pleased the Argies won. But man, again with the little things and lack of situational awareness. Dude turned to block Mbappe's shot but clearly was trying to make himself bigger with the arm stuck out. I imagine it's drilled into these guys by club and country coaches to not do that. But these guys being paid millions still can't figure it out. Thankfully, ARG won.

And yesterday at the mall there was a girl in the line in front of me that looked exactly like Dybala. Then I saw her again a few minutes later. I guess it was a sign.

And like Southgate, Scaloni was not a big coaching name and didn't have a bunch of experience. But here we are. Succeeeding where the big names before couldn't. And with less talent too. Add the WC to his Copa America (first ARG victory in the past 10 tournaments) and 36 match unbeaten run. The federations need to stop putting so much thought into this. I'm actually disappointed ENG extended Southgate. He could ultimately win something but really wish they went with a new voice and signed only through the next tournament, because you don't need to hamstring yourself with long contracts. And one of the reasons being speculated for keeping him is that there's no English coach out there ready to step in that isn't already locked into a good club situation. Again, they're thinking way too hard about this.

Here's what Maradona said. We know he's a headcase but obviously, there's others who think the same way. And funny coming from him because he's easily one of the worst coach selections I've ever seen. You usually want someone with a brain bigger than a peanut. His choice was obviously an experiment and it backfired, which is another reason I'm super happy Messi got that WC because that was a wasted tournament back in 2010.

Quote:
A former player, Scaloni was 40 and had no previous experience as a head-coach.

After retiring from professional football in 2015, he joined Jorge Sampaoli's coaching staff as an assistant at Sevilla in 2016. He followed him when Sampaoli made the move to Argentina and was on the staff at Russia 2018.

After the likes of Diego Simeone, Marcelo Gallardo and Mauricio Pochettino all rejected offers to take over after Sampaoli's World Cup debacle, AFA decided to promote the energetic Scaloni as caretaker until they could find a permanent manager.

It was not a popular move and many Argentinian greats, including the late Diego Maradona, were critical of the decision.

"He can't even direct traffic, how come he will direct the national team. Have we all gone mad?," Maradona said in 2018.

Speaking of 2010, going to take this out of the closet. Not sure where I'm going to wear it considering it's winter but maybe at the grocery store later.

gas near us

Last edited by megadude; Dec 19, 2022 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:30 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

I'm only wondering why you guys on here would root so hard for Argentina, a country that doesn't care about yours, though.
Answer = Messi

I loved the Zidane teams of late 90s early 2000s. No offence but this French team doesn’t have same likability.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:31 PM

And going back to the 2026 group change, I agree, groups of three are dumb. I knew the WC would expand but I thought 40 max. for a few decades. 48 with groups of 4 is a lot of games and I guess it limits just how many countries can host but I'm okay with that. And that means we're going to get more games here, no? I can't imagine all the extra games go to the US. Tickets will be a lottery but hopefully with more games, the secondary market won't be as outrageous. Wish my dad had taken us to Detroit in '94 to watch a game. We did watch Brazil (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Juninho, Bebeto, Roberto Carlos on the team) vs. Japan in the '96 Olympics at the Orange Bowl, which Japan won, but WC is the WC.

Last edited by megadude; Dec 18, 2022 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Well the better team today won. France didn’t show up first half and Argentina did. I hate penalties but Argentina had the mettle, France didn’t.

Really happy for Argentina and Messi.
I hate PKs too. I've long maintained that it should go down to 10 v 10 when extra time starts. That with tired legs leads to more chances and hopefully avoids kicks.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
For the largest event in the world, you'd think the trophy would be more impressive. Looks hilarious when 2 guys are carrying that little thing out like that. It's not even a cup lol.

And when it comes to North America in 4 years, which airline gets to supply the flight attendants for the ceremony? I was joking with my wife when those women came out that they looked like flight attendants. Then I looked up flight attendants for Qatar airlines and that's their uniform lol.

Wait till you see the Ashes trophy in Cricket. That's the bi-annual series between ENG and AUS that is the biggest series of them all.

PS, these two guys were their best players and future captain. Four years ago they got pinched for cheating (ball tampering) and got suspended for a year. The guy on the left was the best batsman in the world and played in the tournament in Canada during his suspension because it wasn't ICC affiliated.

[IMG]banco america near me[/IMG]
https://www.thenationalnews.com/spor...tures-1.892400

Last edited by megadude; Dec 19, 2022 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:39 PM

Messi is the GOAT

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 7:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
1) - Messi. He deserved to win the World Cup to cap off his storied career.
2) - Argentina is in the same hemisphere as us.
3) - Argentina is kind of the South American cousin of Canada; a primarily European country in the Americas, living in the shadow of their larger and more boisterous neighbour (Brazil). Other analogies include the Pampas (prairies), the Andes (Rockies) and Patagonia (near north/Canadian Shield).
4) - While Canada traditionally has been rather isolated from Latin America, I find this has been changing quite a bit over the last 20-25 years ago. There is quite a bit of Brazilian immigration to Moncton recently (I'm not sure why).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 9:44 PM

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar was one of the better World Cups in FIFA World Cup history. I mean it was better than I thought it would be despite it being a Winter World Cup. But I am excited about 2026 already especially now that 2026 it goes back to being a Summer World Cup but also the fact that it will have 48 teams for the first time ever and it is here in our backyard in Canada, in the US and in Mexico.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 10:10 PM

About the actual trophy and not the fake plastic ones that fans would occasionally wave in arenas, googling "fifa world cup trophy material" brings about this answer.

The FIFA World Cup's trophy is made of pure 18-carat gold and it is worth around Rs 144 crore (US $20 million or £16.4 million).
According to the Eurosport report, the FIFA World Cup trophy is described as 'solid gold' 36.5 cm tall and has a base of 13 cm in diameter, weighing around 6.175 kg.

What does "Rs 144 crore" even mean? I doubt it would be worth that much.
Wiki says it's valued US$250k, which sounds more credible.

The 2 green strips on the base of it would be made of "malachite". I don't even know what that material is.
It may be something expensive too.

It appears that the current trophy was designed by an Italian artist and introduced in 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_Trophy

It looks alright IMO. I like that couple of people carrying Earth above their heads, that's a pretty good idea and design.

I don't know what the previous trophy(ies) looked like. At this point, FIFA shouldn't change it again.
The current one must be the final version of it because it's been so iconic.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post

This one's for Molson

https://issuu.com/drrai/docs/nur_sur...fin/s/14292503

I got a text after the game from my soccer hating, pickup driving brother in law saying that 'soccer would be better with unlimited and re-entry substitutions'. How the hell do you respond to a statement like that. That is what kids and old timers soccer has..not the professional level.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 11:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Really? Well, I still look young. Lol.

It's ok, only football. It doesn't really matter to people not involved in that business.
Of course, I'm very disappointed. Even a bit angry.
Our team just wasn't strong enough. They were better overall and deserve the win.
There's nothing more to say.

Canada is big and diverse. Lots of Canadians were cheering for France. In my entourage it was split but more people were for France.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 12:39 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada is big and diverse. Lots of Canadians were cheering for France. In my entourage it was split but more people were for France.
I’m assuming more Quebeckers would support France. I think much more people around here supported Argentina whether their Latin, Italian or just Messi fans.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 1:14 AM
Community Guy

I quite like the trophy and while it does not have the size of the Stanley Cup, it looks much older than it is and is regal.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 1:20 AM

I saw exactly one ARG flag before today. This afternoon I was stopped at a light and three cars in the space of 20 seconds passed by with the flag. Then an hour later at the grocery store was this car. down below The people checking out beside me were speaking Spanish so I assume it was them.

Between these two occurrences I was at Dollarama and it was seriously warm so I had to take the coat off and display the Messi jersey. Got a couple comments about the game. But also, there was a very rough looking person looking at lights and asked me what I know about them. I told him those are not battery operated, you'd charge with USB. Not sure he knew what I was talking about.

Anyway, he said nice shirt. Did they win today? I said yup. Then he proceeded to tell me about the time he was locked up at Maplehurst (prison in Milton off the 401). Surprise, surprise. He said he used to play with a former professional footballer from Argentina while there. He said he kicked the ball so hard that when he tried to stop the ball he broke his thumb. I told him about the time at school we had a Paraguayan student who was playing goal and broke him thumb. Then he told me how about when he lived in Hamilton there was a bar with all the WC flags and he stole them all and put them up on all the walls in his apartment. Said he also stole their speakers.

Dude also had a vintage Jays Alomar jersey on so we talked about that for a minute.

A couple months ago I posted in the weather thread about two separate camps along the river, where there is no trail, with one rough looking guys in their 60s in each one. This is like 200m from there. He could have been one of them. And across the street are a handful of small houses that back onto the GO station lot. They are halfway houses or something similar. He could be an inhabitant.

And a few weeks ago I was walking to that Dollarama and a guy was chasing a gypsy looking shoplifter through the parking lot and then tripped him and kneed him in the ribs every time he got up to resist. He was shouting for help and I asked the cop/security and two citizens helping/keeping an eye on things and he said he's under arrest. Guy was also on his cell calling the cops at the same time. And he spotted a white pickup and said white Silverado, watch out. Two seconds later it pulled out of the spot and drove away. Anyway, two minutes later cops pulled up and cuffed the guy. I still have no idea if that was a cop on a stakeout (he noticed the getaway vehicle that was nowhere near where the commotion started) or if he was just security at Home Depot, which is where I heard all the noise in the first place. He was so calm answering me and another member of the public while tussling with the thief and talking on his cell with the other hand. No badge visible.

I initially went over to this commotion to see if the guy needed my help but also to tell the perp to stop resisting because he was terrible at it and looked very weak and was getting a blow to the side each time. But when he said watch out, white Silverado, and the truck actually pulled away, you never know, he could have floored it and taken people out. Luckily he didn't. Gotta be careful.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 1:32 AM

Yeah I love the trophy. A nice upgrade to what it replaced.

They have a replica of it at a soccer store in Etobicoke. We watched one of the England games in 2010 there and of course we all took pics holding it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_Trophy

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:42 AM

I'll concede the current trophy looks a lot better than the old Timbits soccer trophy it replaced (even if the old one was a cup lol). But, I still think it should have some heft commensurate with the event. Maybe not as big as the Stanley Cup, but if there is another event tailor made for the concept of engraving the players' names on the trophy, I don't know what it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada