HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 6:51 PM
amalgamated

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
If you want a better image for the city, encourage them to do something about the open air opioid den Waterloo is becoming. Tourists are saying we're a dirty city, which I have not heard in ten years. And they're not wrong lately. Head out of the toxic clouds please.

AIM is a much bigger priority to be “cleaned up” than Waterloo Village.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 11:32 AM

McGill's Lounge (Market Square) has announced that they are closing permanently:

Quote:
Good day,
It is with profound disappointment that I must inform all of you that we have made the decision to close McGill's, effective immediately.
This decision does not come lightly. We have done as much as we could to keep the business viable for the last three and half years. From pandemic lockdowns to operating in a construction site for close to two years now, we faced many challenges that compromised the business. Unfortunately, we are unable to continue operating while waiting for the end of the construction project and have made this difficult and sad decision to close the business.
To all the team members who worked in this location over the years: all I can say is thank you. A special thanks goes to those of you who stayed with McGill’s through the last few years.
To the guests and regulars: you were the reason we opened every day. The relationships that have grown over the years means so much to both me and my family.
Thank you to everyone for close to 22 years of business.
With sincere thanks,
Corey McGill

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
McGill's Lounge (Market Square) has announced that they are closing permanently:
Sad to see them go - probably didn’t help that a new dance club opened on Grannan Lane. Maybe an opportunity for a new business.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
I'm sure the slow motion boardwalk renos didn't help matters.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 2:40 PM

Crowne Plaza Saint John

Not sure if this was already shared. Didn't see it through all the AIM, ferry, and bike path posts the past few weeks. Anyhow, looks like an upgrade and rebrand ahead for the current Canada's Best Value Inn into a higher-star Crowne Plaza Saint Hohn Harbourview!

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...iew-100890919/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I'm sure the slow motion boardwalk renos didn't help matters.
I agree, but McGills/Cougars has also traditionally been a nightclub. When business slowed down, they didn't really pivot to a different type of model. Although, with no actual kitchen in their location that might have been hard to do.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 4:48 PM

Extensive work underway at 59 King Sq North- the old Dominion Store. Definitely not demolition. I am 99% sure IOL owns this building, along with the two lots immediately to its north at 17 and 21 Sydney. I have heard the Golden Ball, which was theoretically going to be vacant after the IOL HQ was built, is again bursting at the seams. IIRC their 'green energy' division operates there. Perhaps this is an annex. Irving wouldn't be spending a dime on it if they didn't have an immediate plan, or a buyer. This would be a decent place for a small format grocery store.

The fire-damaged apartment building/rooming house at 70-78 Sewell has had a ton of activity inside and out. New retaining wall and fencing. Clearly the fire was not too bad. Will join the other converted rooming houses on Carmarthen and Paddock as apartments, most likely. Not many left.

JDI's stupid corner lot ziggurat playground is mostly complete. I await its inevitable 2026 conversion to more surface parking.

Also, the burned-out 277-279 Charlotte St rooming house has been demolished; interestingly, the adjacent 285 Charlotte (same owner) has been left standing. Not sure if the surviving building is a couple apartments, a home, or a rooming house. It must be extremely smoke- and possibly fire-damaged.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 11:22 AM

Wellington?

Does anyone know what's going on with the ground floor space at the Wellington? Last spring I think I read they were in the process of choosing between several parties interested in opening some sort of cafe/coffee shop/restaurant. I noticed when I drove by yesterday the space still appears empty and untouched.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what's going on with the ground floor space at the Wellington? Last spring I think I read they were in the process of choosing between several parties interested in opening some sort of cafe/coffee shop/restaurant. I noticed when I drove by yesterday the space still appears empty and untouched.
Last I heard it was going to be a taco or Mexican place run by someone that has a popular food truck

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Last I heard it was going to be a taco or Mexican place run by someone that has a popular food truck
Oh, That's too bad.

I was hoping for a cafe/home cooking style sort of place. Saint John is severely lacking in great breakfast/lunch places. Moncton has Hynes, Sussex JJ's, St Stephen Carman's but we have nothing to fill that niche. I mean ,even Pocologan has the Bay Breeze..............

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Oh, That's too bad.

I was hoping for a cafe/home cooking style sort of place. Saint John is severely lacking in great breakfast/lunch places. Moncton has Hynes, Sussex JJ's, St Stephen Carman's but we have nothing to fill that niche. I mean ,even Pocologan has the Bay Breeze..............
We have places on that level or style, such as Tops, K's Cafe out East, AJ's on the West Side, etc.

I agree with wanting something like that Uptown again (RIP Reggie's) but we also could use a Mexican place, I'd love that.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
We have places on that level or style, such as Tops, K's Cafe out East, AJ's on the West Side, etc.

I agree with wanting something like that Uptown again (RIP Reggie's) but we also could use a Mexican place, I'd love that.
The problem is that none of those places are particularly good. Tops is OK but they cheap out on ingredients and quality to keep prices down. K's is pretty much a decent breakfast place with an extremely limited lunch menu.......... and they close way too early to generate a full lunch trade anyway. (1:00pm)

Only ever ate at AJ's once. it was "OK" as I recall but I'm rarely on the Westside (even less in recent years with the disgrace that is the slow motion, never ending Harbour Bridge refurbishment. )

Agree about missing Reggie's.....and before that the Quality Burger Bar on Germain ( Taco Pico's took the space when they closed) Still remember their homemade pies. Going way, way back there was Ken Grass's Fountain on Prince William.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The problem is that none of those places are particularly good. Tops is OK but they cheap out on ingredients and quality to keep prices down. K's is pretty much a decent breakfast place with an extremely limited lunch menu.......... and they close way too early to generate a full lunch trade anyway. (1:00pm)

Only ever ate at AJ's once. it was "OK" as I recall but I'm rarely on the Westside (even less in recent years with the disgrace that is the slow motion, never ending Harbour Bridge refurbishment. )

Agree about missing Reggie's.....and before that the Quality Burger Bar on Germain ( Taco Pico's took the space when they closed) Still remember their homemade pies. Going way, way back there was Ken Grass's Fountain on Prince William.
On the east side there is the "sunset bar and grill" which definitely has the mom and pop breakfast vibe. Quick, cheap with that "homely" atmosphere.

But I agree with the point above a lot of those breakfast places usually aren't very good. A really good Mexican restaurant would do a lot better I think.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 12:32 PM

Lebanese City Market joint Leban-On-The-Go (good food, weak name) is relocating to Prince William. Good to see them get established. Maybe a future for the market should include a 'restaurant incubator' because the similarly-poorly-named Naan Ya Business, which is also OK, seems to be doing decently in the Churchill Place plaza since leaving the market.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 12:48 PM

It is perfect for that kind of venture, you're right. I was at a similar venue for incubating food and beverage businesses in Portland a few years ago, had spaces for everything from a craft cider operation to a pie bakery and Thai food. As the businesses succeeded or grew a clientele they moved into their own spaces elsewhere and a new small craft operation took their place. I could see the City Market playing a similar role as you described, since it gets enough foot traffic to help small food businesses develop a loyal following long before they try to set up a dedicated location on the street or in a less bustling neighbourhood.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 1:11 PM

And, maybe encourage some takeout windows along North or South Market. I like some parts of the new plan- changing to two wide aisles from the current three in particular.

Speaking of the market, does anyone remember a short-lived and terrible Chinese restaurant between Jeremiah's and S&F? All my friends and family think I'm hallucinating it. Would have been 2005-2008 or so.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
And, maybe encourage some takeout windows along North or South Market. I like some parts of the new plan- changing to two wide aisles from the current three in particular.

Speaking of the market, does anyone remember a short-lived and terrible Chinese restaurant between Jeremiah's and S&F? All my friends and family think I'm hallucinating it. Would have been 2005-2008 or so.
Those two places are currently side by side and don’t remember if one expanded to take over a spot in the past. I remember the hot dog and burger place that was taken over by Kim’s Asian takeaway. Just can’t picture a Chinese takeaway in that area but may have been un memorable

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Those two places are currently side by side and don’t remember if one expanded to take over a spot in the past. I remember the hot dog and burger place that was taken over by Kim’s Asian takeaway. Just can’t picture a Chinese takeaway in that area but may have been un memorable
The Korean spot is between them- this was definitely just before the Korean spot, which was definitely open in 2010.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
The Korean spot is between them- this was definitely just before the Korean spot, which was definitely open in 2010.
AFAIR the Korean Spot took over Barton's. I don't recall there being something else there between Bartons closing and the Korean food place opening.

I think they are all still struggling to one degree or another. Market foot traffic has never seemed to recover to pre Covid levels. The market is kind of a sad place these days....lots of empty stalls, many of which have been empty for some time. Combine that with the slow-mo multi year collapse of Brunswick Square, The giant hole at the head of King and more vagrants/panhandlers around King and Germain then I've ever seen before and uptown is a bit of a downer. I'm old enough to remember the late 70's through early 1990's when things seemed to be really on a roll. Brunswick Square (mall and tower), Market Square, Delta and Hilton hotels, the pedway system, Canada Games, City Market reno, Harbour Station, Shops of City hall, It all happened within about 15 years or so then everything seemed to stall and atrophy.

Is Fundy Quay enough on it's own to get things going again? I don't know...........

Last edited by sailor734; Oct 17, 2023 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:03 PM

The work has finally started on the temporary park that will replace the Barbour's General Store until the new tourism office goes in, there is heavy equipment on-site today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces