HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 4:35 AM
Youth of a Nation

Lets boost it up a notch and add some MLS to Winnipeg Winnipeg United. Major Sponsor would be Assiniboine Credit Union.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 6:32 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Lets boost it up a notch and add some MLS to Winnipeg Winnipeg United. Major Sponsor would be Assiniboine Credit Union.
Now THAT is very ambitious!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 7:25 AM
Youth of a Nation

Well you know if they build the stadium right when it is done..... I'm hoping they have the soccer aspect included. You never know right!? Can always find some Winnipegger to concoct a story about some random person who has money willing to bring MLS here for the 2020 season! Make some designs with MLS on the field include Big Business Names spawn the whole 9 yards! Mmhmm

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 3:22 PM

Hmm is there a market for MLS in Winnipeg?

I Can see it working for Hamilton, because Soccer is a big, big, big deal in southern ontario.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 6:00 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Hmm is there a market for MLS in Winnipeg?

I Can see it working for Hamilton, because Soccer is a big, big, big deal in southern ontario.
A few people I know would love to see MLS here someday. We can only dream at the moment though.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Are you crazy it's so easy to get to uofm you must be really lazy.If you're going to boycott because of a canopy your a pretty lame fan.I guess the people at mcmahon,ivor wynn, and molson stadium are just really tough fans with the no canopy on their stadiums.
You're hilarious.

UofM is easy to get to under fairly normal circumstances. Not when 30,000 people are all trying to come and go at the same time. Trust me I know all about getting in and out of there. I spent almost 10 years of my life as a student or employee there.

We can have this conversation again in a couple years regarding getting how "easy" it is to get there during a bombers game and I'll be happy to serve you a heaping platter of crow.

As for not having a canopy, really? Yes, lets look up stadiums that are as old or older than the facility we are replacing for examples of how to do it right.

You must be joking that you would find it acceptable to build a brand new facility and not include some sort of shelter from rain. Take a look at how many people show up right now when it is raining at bomber games. If I am a princess, then I am certainly not in the minority.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 7:59 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
A few people I know would love to see MLS here someday. We can only dream at the moment though.
The Winnipeg Dreamers? hehe

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 1:59 PM

I live 5 minutes from uofm and I spent 4 years there as a student I know what it's like when busy and it's not bad at all. Also the re-done lambeau field and soldier field have no canopy and they play games there in december and jan.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 2:29 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.

The fact you live 5 minutes away from UofM may make your opinions on the access of that area a little misleading. Most of us live quite a bit further away than that.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 4:58 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Fort Richmond residents protest proposed Bomber stadium
By: Gabrielle Giroday
Posted: 23/08/2010 9:55 PM | Comments: 23
PRINT E–MAIL 0
0 SHARENEW REPORT ERROR
About 300 Fort Richmond residents turned out to a meeting at the Richmond Kings Community Centre tonight to protest the proposal to build a new football stadium for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at the University of Manitoba.
An overflow crowd forced about 100 people to stand outside in a parking lot.
Residents are worried about noise and traffic on game days.
The Free Press reported last week that a canopy that was supposed to cover most of the stands could be abandoned after final costs are figured out.
At the meeting Monday night, people passed around orange leaflets with a banner headline saying "This Isn’t the Stadium Creswin promised."
However, Creswin president Daniel Edwards said the canopy would only have a "nominal" impact on controlling noise.
St. Norbert MLA Marilyn Brick said she was there to listen and to pass the concerns of residents on to Premier Greg Selinger. She said the design isn’t finalized.

Well, while I was reading the Free Press comments (LOL?), I came across a comment that I actually agreed with...

Quote:
POSTED BY: bpachkowski
AUGUST 23, 2010 AT 10:27 PM
WOW... talk about a selfish lot.. 300 people should be ashamed of themselves. We are talking about 10 days out of 365. There are 10 home games (9 regular season plus one pre season) stretched out over 5 months. That is an average of 2 days per month. Thunderstorms are more disruptive (and frequent) than football games. If you cannot see past your own nose and deal with the noise of a hometown crowd cheering on our 80 year old Blue Bomber team for 2 eveings a month for 5 months, then you don't deserve to call Winnipeg your home!! SHAME ON YOU, you selfish people. When I lived across from Polo Park in an apartment, I used to love turning up the radio, sitting on my deck, listening to the game, and hearing the roar of the crowd live. But of course, self serving people who hate Winnipeg and don't want to be part of the community have to cram into a community centre and add thier 2 cents to keep our fine city from becoming even better. Not only are they holding back the city, but they will help deny our University of a top notch althetic training facility, all because of a liittle extra noise for 10 days out of the year!! Congratulations, Winnipeg haters, you have had your say. Lets hope your selfish cries are ignored, and the greater good wins out!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 9:23 AM
The New Republic

Aren't shovels in the ground already?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:15 PM

wheeler (power97) was ranting hardcore about these protestors this morning. he went on to rant about how (along the lines of)"whenever we want development, prosperity, or any kind of progression in this city, protestors shoot it down. you live in a city! if you want peace and quiet, move to steinbach." its good to hear public support for our side!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 11:27 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
wheeler (power97) was ranting hardcore about these protestors this morning. he went on to rant about how (along the lines of)"whenever we want development, prosperity, or any kind of progression in this city, protestors shoot it down. you live in a city! if you want peace and quiet, move to steinbach." its good to hear public support for our side!
Good, because I'm sick and tired of progress being robbed for this city, all from selfish and ignorant NIMBY's who can't see past the walls of their homes, and then turn around, complain on why this city is in such terrible shape when the chance to improve it was in front of their stupid faces all along.

Motherf**king weasels, if I ever see them!!

/rant

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
You do realize it's 50 years old right? what they screwed up on was the expansion for the the Olympics back in the late 80's was supposed to include a gutting of the two grandstands and the addition of a balcony on both sides with major expansion of the concourses and a seating capacity of 50'000. Instead they cheaped out and added what we have today, the seating from the 10 yard lines to the end zones, with the same exact footprint of concession area as the original grandstands built in 1960.

It's still a fine football stadium, but she needs renos and expansion again here soon, especially with the bench seating and concession/shithouse areas... which I've heard rumors is supposed to be happening in the next 3 - 5 years.

sorry for the hijack...
Duh! Of course I realize its 50 years old (every year is showing on it) but age is not the issue.

The issue is that the concession area and washrooms are terrible. You have to walk up a ton of stairs to get to the upper levels (not a problem for me but what about people who are not mobile).

It is old, dumpy and it is a disgrace to a city of 1.25 million!

The current Bomber stadium has a gradual slop to get to the second level and if memory serves me right, concessions and washrooms on the lower and upper levels.

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the new stadium. I hope things work out.

I grew up on Stathcona Street in the old Peg and used to love the sound of the crowd cheering when the Bombers scored. Ya there were lots of cars that parked on the street and fans walked to the game. Nobody seemed to care at all.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Good, because I'm sick and tired of progress being robbed for this city, all from selfish and ignorant NIMBY's who can't see past the walls of their homes, and then turn around, complain on why this city is in such terrible shape when the chance to improve it was in front of their stupid faces all along.

Motherf**king weasels, if I ever see them!!

/rant
We literally need most of these NIMBY's to die off, so they can be replaced by the younger generation that want's a better, bigger, less dilapitated, more vibrant and entertaining city to attract and/or keep YOUNGER people. Do you really want this city to be just a larger version of Regina/Saskatoon? I KNOW we can do better!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Duh! Of course I realize its 50 years old (every year is showing on it) but age is not the issue.

The issue is that the concession area and washrooms are terrible. You have to walk up a ton of stairs to get to the upper levels (not a problem for me but what about people who are not mobile).

It is old, dumpy and it is a disgrace to a city of 1.25 million!

The current Bomber stadium has a gradual slop to get to the second level and if memory serves me right, concessions and washrooms on the lower and upper levels.

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the new stadium. I hope things work out.

I grew up on Stathcona Street in the old Peg and used to love the sound of the crowd cheering when the Bombers scored. Ya there were lots of cars that parked on the street and fans walked to the game. Nobody seemed to care at all.
When your time comes, Calgary is gonna build a hell of a stadium. You'll build what we want to build here

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
We literally need most of these NIMBY's to die off, so they can be replaced by the younger generation that want's a better, bigger, less dilapitated, more vibrant and entertaining city to attract and/or keep YOUNGER people. Do you really want this city to be just a larger version of Regina/Saskatoon? I KNOW we can do better!
Thats the funny thing about Winnipeg I am starting to find now. There seems to be this divide between people who complain about everything and people who want to see the city grow at a quicker pace than it is, and have a plan or ideas in their head for how to do this.

Honestly, I hope some of the latter are in city planning here. I really would love to see Winnipeg's potential be utilized. It seems one path we're heading down is that what should take us 10 years worth of growth is going to happen in 25.

I know I'll be here for another 4-5 years for sure...but beyond that, I am not sure...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Winding down my vacation and happened to drive by this cities fairly new stadium, tons of parking around the facility, close to a major freeway with good access, yes most people do drive to football games.

|Correction the stadium was actually built in 1967, and refurbished, there are no canopies and it is owned by the city, both the cities pro and college football teams play here.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 3:48 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ What city are you talking about? (no picture or no name)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 5:53 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ What city are you talking about? (no picture or no name)
I was thinking the same thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan