HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
There was also a rendering of the project. I don't have a scanner to post it thought.
http://www.aaaaz.com/highroads/2008/...ookingback.htm

Here is a link to the article. I found it on their website. It looks like what they're doing is very nice but why does it look like the old white building has no renovations at all? In the rendering it looks like they just added a nice new building around the old one and did nothing with the existing structure. I'm assuming the design will change and that this rendering is only preliminary. Also, I'm curious as to what they are gonna do with the old silos. Still no detailed renderings on them. Hope they start in the summer like it says.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 2:54 AM

Here's a larger version of that rendering:

--don

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 4:11 AM

CATHOLIC DIOCESE PLANS TO DEVELOP 22-STORY RESIDENCE HALL AT ASU
Tempe – The Roman Catholic Diocese in Phoenix plans to develop a 22-story building on the Arizona State University campus that will be used for student housing. The planned development, being called All Saints Newman Center Student Housing, will be built on the site of the existing Newman Center. The historic Old St. Mary’s Church, which is part of the current development, will be preserved. The roughly 3/4ths acre site is located near University Drive and College Avenue. Plans call for 180 apartment units, a 640-seat sanctuary, a new chapel, a 4,800-square-foot social hall, 7,000 sq. ft. in classroom and meeting space and a church library. No word on construction timetable. The 260,000-square-foot project will be developed by Domus Communities in Faith in Kansas City, Mo. (Tim Lies, CEO). That partnership is comprised of Entertainment Properties Trust in Kansas City, and Petrus Development in Austin, Tex.

Thanks lurker Matthew!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:10 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
CATHOLIC DIOCESE PLANS TO DEVELOP 22-STORY RESIDENCE HALL AT ASU
Tempe – The Roman Catholic Diocese in Phoenix plans to develop a 22-story building on the Arizona State University campus that will be used for student housing. The planned development, being called All Saints Newman Center Student Housing, will be built on the site of the existing Newman Center. The historic Old St. Mary’s Church, which is part of the current development, will be preserved. The roughly 3/4ths acre site is located near University Drive and College Avenue. Plans call for 180 apartment units, a 640-seat sanctuary, a new chapel, a 4,800-square-foot social hall, 7,000 sq. ft. in classroom and meeting space and a church library. No word on construction timetable. The 260,000-square-foot project will be developed by Domus Communities in Faith in Kansas City, Mo. (Tim Lies, CEO). That partnership is comprised of Entertainment Properties Trust in Kansas City, and Petrus Development in Austin, Tex.

Thanks lurker Matthew!
Right on...cool.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:32 PM

http://www.tempe.gov/PublicBodies/Do...0221dsrl02.pdf

pages 73-75 provide some nice images

pg 7 - 270ft

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:22 PM

Ok, maybe it's just me but I can handle the rendering of the st. apartments attached with the church; however, I think the Mill renovation is terrible. They could really do something neat with the mill. Instead it is a class box with a steel frame.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 12:32 PM

wissundevil06 - I was thinking the exact same thing. I think the Mill renovation could be done better. It would be interesting to see how it looks with the other buildings around it. But those first few artist pics are a bit weak. Especially when you compare it to the big buildings that are going to be across the street over at Montes and the new US Air building. Hopefully they have not finalized their design.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:46 PM

I also agree about the Mill renovation project. I think it is way too boxy and just not a good design at all. I don't think it has been finalized yet though so lets hope things change for the better. Anyway, I was looking at the Development Review Commission agenda for next Wednesday and it looks like the project on 7th and Mill is finally up for review. There are some more renderings available that are pretty sweet and it looks like a nice design with a good amount of street front retail on the ground floor. The only thing I didn't really like was the southern facade of the hotel building is a bunch of rainbow pattern colors. It looks a bit tacky imo. Otherwise I think this will really add some more height and density to downtown Tempe for the better. Go Tempe!!

Oh, here is the link to the PDF document. The renderings are near the end of the doc. I couldn't copy them because of the security settings.

http://www.tempe.gov/planning/Agenda..._M7_031208.pdf

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:27 PM
Dbacks baby!

Here are a couple of renderings Mill and 7th Ave. proposal. (Hotel and retail etc.)

sssshhh...I got them from the document the old fashioned way. Printed and then scanned to file.

Source: http://www.tempe.gov/planning/Agenda..._M7_031208.pdf

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:42 PM

Heh, why not just do a "Print screen", then paste into Paint or whatever imaging program you want? That would be much easier.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:57 PM
Dbacks baby!

^ummmm..lol....yea that works too

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:26 AM

Here you go!

All Saints Newman Center Student Housing

7th and Mill proposal:

I love both. I like the contrast of how that little stone and glass snail building will look next to the old Church.

And I love the Modern design of the 7th and Mill project. It seems to interact very well on the street level and I love the stacked red brick and the funky colors in the glass hallway on the highrise and the steel frame on the 701 building very much.
C'mon market!! c'mon!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 1:59 PM

I sure wish we'd get some news on University Square. The longer we wait the more it seems like they pulled a DT Phoenix land banker move (i.e. tore down the existing structure, got the lot zoned for a highrise with a pie-in-the-sky proposal, and now won't build it because they want to sell the land at a premium.)....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 4:22 PM

Speaking of University Square...about 2 weeks ago I went to Dave's Dog House for lunch, because the line at Subway was ridiculously long and I figured I might as well try the place before its torn down. Anyway, the owner said that he was given an offer to possibly move into the MU on campus but that he wouldn't leave until the summer at the earliest. I believe he has until sometime this summer before he agreed to leave. I don't think we'll be seeing any bulldozing until then. There's my little update on University Square.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:42 PM
tempe_native

Cool renderings of the 7th/mill project. I was getting worried that it died with the lack of news on it. Hopefully that one gets up and going sometime this year. Oh heres some news article about the lack of news on this project, but you guys should all know about this one...

After 20 years, ASU's Tempe Center still in limbo

William Hermann
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 7, 2008 10:24 AM

Heather DePrator and her 1 1/2-year-old son live near the old Tempe Center on the southeastern corner of University Drive and Mill Avenue. She hopes a grocery store will be in the mix when Arizona State University constructs its planned mix of commercial, housing and university buildings on the site.

"There's no grocery store downtown, and we could really use one right there," she said.

But two decades after ASU began planning to develop the site, and nearly a decade after kicking out all the strip center's tenants, DePrator and everybody else hoping for something good at Tempe Center may still have a long wait.

University officials say there are no plans on the horizon, or even just over the horizon, for doing anything with the site where once there were high hopes for an exciting development that would link Mill Avenue with the university and would provide ASU with a beautiful and useful gateway to the campus.

The shopping center, which was built in 1956, was bought by ASU in 1983 for $5.5 million. It has housed, among other things, a Pic 'n' Save, Tower Records, Ray's ASU Barber Shop, Jam's Cafe, Books Etc. and a grocery store called Stabler's.

In 1987, ASU proposed a $42 million plan to transform the center into an office and shopping center beginning in 1994. The plan called for a six-story $25 million office building for university administration and various other ASU activities, a one-story $17 million retail center and underground parking.

In 1992, a 20-year ASU master plan showed a new gateway to the campus through a renovated Tempe Center. Plans included a diagonal pathway from the corner into the university's center to provide a pedestrian link to downtown Tempe, along with a mixture of single-story and multi-story buildings housing campus commercial uses, office space, academic areas, restaurants, shops and underground parking.

In 1998, it was announced that ASU was finishing up negotiations with developers and those plans were moving forward. The first phase, which would be built at the where Chili's is, would be done by the end of 1999 and the second phase would be done by the end of 2001, officials said at the time. The existing buildings would be razed in June 2000, they said.

They never were.

In 2004, ASU brought to the public a new $500 million mixed-use project for the 13 acres, which it had renamed the Arts and Business Gateway District. It included space for the College of Business, Fine Arts College and Architecture College, as well as general academic space, retail, a boutique hotel, conference and lecture space, residences for both students and non-students and a grocery store.

ASU selected national real estate development firm Concord Eastridge as its partner in developing the site. Designs showing soaring buildings and community gathering spaces were presented to neighbors at public meetings.

It has seemed for years as if groundbreaking would come any time.

It never did.

University planner Richard Stanley said that despite intense efforts to make the project come together, nobody has been able to "make the numbers work." "The goal was, and is, to have the site turned into something that is a point of integration with Mill Avenue and not a walled corner that isolated the university," he said. "We did a lot of work with Concord, analyzing very substantial parking issues associated with residential, retail and university buildings, and trying to come up with a phased plan. In the end, the costs to the university of pursuing the project was more than we could handle within our existing budgets."

Those existing budgets are bursting at the seams under the pressure of constructing massive projects at the downtown Phoenix campus, and with projects at the west and east campus sites, Stanley said.

At this point, Concord is no longer involved and the project has been suspended.

That's a disappointment to Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman.

"It hurts Tempe having an old strip center underutilized and not providing benefits to Tempe and the university," he said. "I wish the university would put together a realistic plan and start doing it. They have the talent and ability to do that."

Stanley said someday it will happen.

"We continue to see a long-term future for that site to be a point of integration between Tempe's downtown and the university; we won't give up on that vision," he said. "We just have to explore other ways to accomplish that."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 8:12 PM

Wow that's crazy that this entire project fell apart! I'm not too surprised, as it did seem really ambitious, but at the same time, it's kind of weird. If the project as designed and proposed in '04 isn't going to work, it certainly shouldn't be too hard to figure out a solution that is viable.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 8:33 PM

The newman center definitely looks nice, and that clam shell addition (seemingly getting rid of the current structure/church offices) looks pretty nice. But I'd hate to see the courtyard with small fountain and nice rows of trees go. It makes University be slighly more inviting (although the offices are terrible).

As far as 7th & Mill... I don't really like it. That small bit of older, more organic density is nice (would be 10x better had they not torn down Long Wongs/Cafe Boa). Plus, it really is a long shot right now... let's hope they don't start tearing down the existing (al la University Square - which has been mentioned).

I'm glad I was at ASU several years ago and was able to experience Long Wongs. From the piss smelling bathroom to seeing my friend's band open for Fifteen Minutes Fast (a pretty cool band in Tempe back then), it was a cool hang out. The only thing cooler would have to have been at school in the early 90s and watched the Tempe music scene blowing up with the Gin Blossoms, etc. playing there, singing about Ms. Rita's down the street.

Ah yes, those were the carefree college days of riding my bike to Mill, enjoying some all-day drinking at The Cue Club (my roommate was a day-bartender there, sometimes there was NO ONE in there except me at lunch time for free beer) or Dos Gringos, then hitting up Long Wongs for a burger or sandwich at dinner and then watching the bands/drinking some more.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:30 PM

Does anyone have any idea what these are? They are atop the to-be ASU School of Sustainability building.

All photos taken on Friday, March 7, 2008

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 3:13 AM

Creepy spy-cam robots that follow around and stalk you on your way home at night?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 3:18 AM
Dbacks baby!

No...those are Borg assimilation ray guns....jeez

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest