HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 5:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The 417 east of Ottawa was designed with an 80 MPH design speed.
That stretch of highway would still seem like a long drive at 130 km/h.

Just like the 416.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
That stretch of highway would still seem like a long drive at 130 km/h.

Just like the 416.
Maybe it’s because of the forest.

Ps: Whenever I go between 417 east of Ottawa and QC A-40, I can’t help but notice the drastic change in road quality and design.
I suspect that, if that stretch of 417 were designed earlier, it’d have only had a 30-feet (7.62-m) median instead.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
If I were a betting man, I'd expect another speed limit increase to be announced for the Spring of 2025.
Any particular reason for spring 2025? It's over a year from the election. Compared to the last round of increases which were clearly political and came just 2 months before the election..

Is this round expected to be the MTO-driven study originally planned vs. the last increase which clearly came from the premier's office?

Personally I would dream for a BC-style comprehensive speed limit review across the provincial highway network with adjustments to speed limits across the entire highway network, including increases to 2-lane highways to 90km/h in many locations..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 8:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I suspect MTO-driven?
The minimum turning radius for 130 kph design speed is R = 850 m (measured to the centre of the median) anyway, and I won’t be surprised that most turning radii on our 400-series expressways are already wider than that.
(Now, I didn’t have 403 through Hamilton or 406 through Saint Catherine’s in mind when I said that. )

Ps: Are there King’s Highways (especially undivided ones), with design speed of 100 kph to 110 kph, that have turning radii as wide as 700 m?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Any particular reason for spring 2025? It's over a year from the election. Compared to the last round of increases which were clearly political and came just 2 months before the election..

Is this round expected to be the MTO-driven study originally planned vs. the last increase which clearly came from the premier's office?

Personally I would dream for a BC-style comprehensive speed limit review across the provincial highway network with adjustments to speed limits across the entire highway network, including increases to 2-lane highways to 90km/h in many locations..
Sorry, typo. Spring of 2026. Before the election. Speed limit increases are popular, and I think they'll want some speed limit increases fresh in the minds of voters going into the next election.

Staff has done a lot of work assessing highways for speed limit increases over the past few years. When the Libs were in power, there was a push by them for speed limit increases as well, but they never went through with it. (Partly because BC's experience going straight from 100->120 had some problems).

As part of the speed limit increases, some safety improvements are usually carried out along the highways as well. For example, for the 400 north of MacTier, all of the relatively new cedar post guiderail along the edge of the highway was replaced with more robust steel beam guide rail. I believe all of the guide rail end treatments on the QEW were upgraded too through that section as well.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 5:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It’ll be revolutionary if MTO ever posts those 2-lane staged freeways at 100 kph (but 80 kph ~ 90 kph at intersection with traffic lights).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry, typo. Spring of 2026. Before the election. Speed limit increases are popular, and I think they'll want some speed limit increases fresh in the minds of voters going into the next election.

Staff has done a lot of work assessing highways for speed limit increases over the past few years. When the Libs were in power, there was a push by them for speed limit increases as well, but they never went through with it. (Partly because BC's experience going straight from 100->120 had some problems).

As part of the speed limit increases, some safety improvements are usually carried out along the highways as well. For example, for the 400 north of MacTier, all of the relatively new cedar post guiderail along the edge of the highway was replaced with more robust steel beam guide rail. I believe all of the guide rail end treatments on the QEW were upgraded too through that section as well.
Thanks. the insight is always appreciated. Looking forward to some more increases, if they are to be.

It's an odd trend regarding speed limits in this province right now, the provincial government is jacking them up and most municipalities are reducing limits on many rural roads across the province at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 7:34 AM

I love highways.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 8:05 PM

I noticed this weekend that MTO was doing tree clearing for the Highway 88 / Highway 400 interchange replacement.

It's first of 4 different structure replacements scheduled to start this year on the 400 (North Canal bridges, Hwy 88, Ninth Line (Simcoe County), Dunlop).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 10:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

On that note, does anyone know why 400 has unusually wide grassy median through Holland Marsh?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
On that note, does anyone know why 400 has unusually wide grassy median through Holland Marsh?
The 400 was damaged by flooding from Hurricane Hazel through the Holland Marsh. I suspect that when the 400 was rebuilt following the flooding, they took the opportunity to widen the median.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 1:10 PM

When was the 400 widened to 6 lanes, do we know? I imagine sometime in the late 60's or early 70s? Kind of crazy to think that it's been in it's current configuration for so long given how much more traffic is on it versus back then.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
When was the 400 widened to 6 lanes, do we know? I imagine sometime in the late 60's or early 70s? Kind of crazy to think that it's been in it's current configuration for so long given how much more traffic is on it versus back then.
Off the top of my head, I believe it was widened between Toronto and Barrie between 1971 and 1972.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 11:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://hwy7-15ea.ca/
This is an interesting one. The urban 4 lanes of highway 7 will end shortly west of 15.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ven-guilbeault
Quote:
Besides funding these types of projects, all levels of government must make the hard decision to stop expanding the road network, he said. Adding more roads and new lanes on existing roads has proven to encourage more car use, which means more congestion, and more calls for road expansion, he said.

“Our government has made the decision to stop investing in new road infrastructure. Of course we will continue to be there for cities, provinces and territories to maintain the existing network, but there will be no more envelopes from the federal government to enlarge the road network. The analysis we have done is that the network is perfectly adequate to respond to the needs we have. And thanks to a mix of investment in active and public transit, and in territorial planning and densification, we can very well achieve our goals of economic, social and human development without more enlargement of the road network.
Uh oh…
Then again, based on the sorry state of federal finance, it’s not like we can expect federal money anyway…

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:11 PM

The Liberals are gone next year at the latest anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Uh oh…
Then again, based on the sorry state of federal finance, it’s not like we can expect federal money anyway…
Federal finances are actually excellent when compared to almost every other country and Canada has a AAA credit rating still. Personal debt is a big issue though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Uh oh…
A lot of money has been spent by the current government for highway projects. Federal dollars for highways has always come and gone. It's never a guarantee and has varied from year to year with every government. I'm sure that federal dollars will still go to some projects but so many of the big ones in recent time have been completed or are close to it. The costs for highway projects has increased a lot recently and labour shortages don't help so although it doesn't make me happy I can understand why there is less spending.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 4:17 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Enjoy your free 413 folks, /s

From CTV

Quote:
Ontario banning tolls on provincial highways other than 407

Katherine DeClerq
CTVNewsToronto.ca Journalist

Published Feb. 15, 2024 10:27 a.m. EST

Ontario will ban tolls on all provincial highways, including the recently uploaded Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway in Toronto.

Ontario Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria made the announcement Thursday as part of a broader set of changes, including a permanent freeze on driver’s licence and photo card fees, and the automatic renewal of licence plates.

“Our government knows that many families are feeling the pinch in their wallets. The last thing they need to see is another unnecessary tool make their way,” Sarkaria told reporters.

The new legislation, expected to be tabled next week, will not remove any tolls currently in place. It will, however, make it impossible for roads to be tolled in the future.

Drivers using Highway 407 will continue to be charged fees, as those tolls are set by a private company.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:19 PM

Province contributing to cost of building new interchange for EC Row in Windsor.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...sion-1.7140140

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario