HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 8:57 PM
Cat Enthusiast

New City Federal Owners Plan Improvements

An Atlanta firm recently bought the City Federal Building in downtown. The building was recently converted to condos. The firm intends to make improvements to the lobby areas, streetscaping, and other details to make the building more marketable. The also intend to embark on a new marketing campaign in order to sell the remaining 24 (out or 84) units in the building.

They plan for a new pricing structure too.

I think this signals some confidence in the downtown market. It's a good signal, that all the improvements that are currently underway in downtown are being noticed by corporations and businesses. I'm hoping that this is a sign of an uptick in the downtown condo/office market.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 4:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

A vote on the future baseball park in downtown is expected on Tuesday, and the last meeting about it was held today apparently.

An economic impact study estimated that nearly 2,120 jobs would be created, $3.8 Billion in direct and indirect spending, and $100 million in additional city revenue would be created by the advent of this project. Obviously there's no telling if any of that would actually happen, but it all sounds promising.

There's a few things that I'm kind hung up on. They're really rushing it through. While I understand that they wanna try and get it through before something stalls it, I think that an extra week to meet and discuss would go a long way towards selling the rest of the city council and the region on this whole thing. I support all of this stuff, but at the moment, I'm worried about how the city council is going to vote.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
There's a few things that I'm kind hung up on. They're really rushing it through. While I understand that they wanna try and get it through before something stalls it, I think that an extra week to meet and discuss would go a long way towards selling the rest of the city council and the region on this whole thing. I support all of this stuff, but at the moment, I'm worried about how the city council is going to vote.
Part of the speed in the process is the fact that the Barons will need to settle soon on a deal with Hoover whether or not they will be coming back. The contract with the city on using Regions Park expires at the end of the year and before the Barons can move on working out a deal with Birmingham is when the city thinks they can have a new Park open.

This has been a very interesting thing to watch play out locally. Both Mayor Bell and Mayor Petelos have said some very intriguing things about the Barons which lead me to believe they are working together on this. The biggest surprise was when Petelos came out and said he thought it would be great to see the Barons playing in a downtown stadium and that he wouldn't see it as a loss for the Hoover because of other opportunities that could come along.

I think there is a lot more to this story that isn't known yet and I fully expect the city council to support the whole deal. Something tells me most of their opposition at this point is just political grandstanding to cover for themselves in the future if-need-be.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 8:35 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingyak View Post
Part of the speed in the process is the fact that the Barons will need to settle soon on a deal with Hoover whether or not they will be coming back.
Correct.

Quote:
The biggest surprise was when Petelos came out and said he thought it would be great to see the Barons playing in a downtown stadium and that he wouldn't see it as a loss for the Hoover because of other opportunities that could come along.
I read the same thing. I figure somehow Hoover/Petelos has been cut in somehow.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The Barons and Birmingham have apparently reached a deal to move them downtown.

I was skeptical about William Bell when he first got elected, but now, I gotta say I'm a fan.

BTW, work on the I-22 interchange has started with site/vegetation clearing.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:56 PM
The Salty Ham

Yeah, it is all over the front page here, about the Barons that is.

I am very happy for this move but am still skeptical. Until I see bulldozers and cranes I just won't allow myself to get too excited about it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 12:45 AM
Fourth and Main

I've heard reports of another minor league team playing at Regions Park, if the Barons move downtown? I don't think this (second team) is a good idea. A downtown ballpark would attract the city's upper-end ticket buyers, but the lower-level team in Hoover could take a large percentage of the families looking for affordable entertainment (cheaper tickets close to home in a park they are familiar with). I would prefer to see only one team in the Birmingham market.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 6:00 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I've heard reports of another minor league team playing at Regions Park, if the Barons move downtown? I don't think this (second team) is a good idea. A downtown ballpark would attract the city's upper-end ticket buyers, but the lower-level team in Hoover could take a large percentage of the families looking for affordable entertainment (cheaper tickets close to home in a park they are familiar with). I would prefer to see only one team in the Birmingham market.
Yea, I read where someone in charge in Hoover was wanting to bring an independent league team to the met if the Barons left, but I really don't have a clue who would be interested in doing that.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:11 PM

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum...but glad to be here. I see that Birmingham is on the move....

BJCC board approves Westin deal with Starwood Hotels
Published: Monday, November 08, 2010, 1:14 PM Updated: Monday, November 08, 2010, 1:22 PM

Roy L. Williams -- The Birmingham News

Developer Robert Schwartz has displayed architectural drawings of the Westin Hotel he plans to build near the BJCC.

The Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex approved an agreement today with New York-based Starwood Hotels to open and manage a Westin Hotel in downtown Birmingham.

The vote was 5-0, with Birmingham Mayor William Bell abstaining.

Starwood owns the Westin brand and operates the Sheraton Hotel adjacent to the BJCC.

The agreement was approved at a brief meeting this afternoon. The name of Bob Schwartz -- the proposed developer of the hotel -- did not come up at the BJCC board meeting.

The city has said it hopes to begin construction on the Westin in January as part of a $70 million project that also includes an entertainment district near the BJCC.

The project could be delayed unless Bell's office can iron out differences with Schwartz over terms in a contract. Bell said today he hopes Schwartz will remain as developer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 4:43 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I haven't heard that, but from what I understand about the league the Barons are in, it couldn't be that same league. They have rules about the distance between franchises. So if it is some small never before heard of league, it just sounds like sour grapes to me and doesn't make much sense at all.

Quote:
The vote was 5-0, with Birmingham Mayor William Bell abstaining.
I wonder why he would abstain...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
Red October standing by

Rendering Source

i wish it was taller and sleeker, but it's better than no construction.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:43 PM

Westin Hotels are fantastic property. Huntsville currently has the only Westin property in Alabama. It is extremely attractive - outside and inside. And with the lack of available hotel rooms in the city, it is consistently busy! Here's hoping that the Westin Birmingham has equal success!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1560

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 11:40 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
Rendering Source

i wish it was taller and sleeker, but it's better than no construction.

-

I have yet to figure out where and how this is positioned at the BJCC?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:32 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
I have yet to figure out where and how this is positioned at the BJCC?
It's supposed to be at the corner of Richard Arrington and 22nd. I believe it's the NE corner.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
It's supposed to be at the corner of Richard Arrington and 22nd. I believe it's the NE corner.
I think I see now...fronting on the SEC HQ and the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:13 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Exciting redevelopment project at the intersection of 20th Street and 2nd Avenue North cleared the Design Review Committee last week. The project includes to retail spaces on the ground level and plans include bringing back Birmingham's "Paramount Candy Shop" as a yogurt shop.

Quote:
Sweet dream project in downtown Birmingham remembers Paramount, Parisian's heyday
Published: Saturday, January 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
Michael Tomberlin
The Birmingham News

A prominent building on downtown Birmingham's "Main Street" will get a makeover that restores it to 1930s splendor when it enjoyed the sweet life as both a candy store and a landmark Birmingham department store...

Link to article

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 9:37 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
Exciting redevelopment project at the intersection of 20th Street and 2nd Avenue North cleared the Design Review Committee last week. The project includes to retail spaces on the ground level and plans include bringing back Birmingham's "Paramount Candy Shop" as a yogurt shop.
I read that yesterday, and it sounds like a great project. It's nice to have people that are creative and have resources.

Wouldn't be create if we could turn 20th into a miles long entertainment district?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:29 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Groundbreaking Set for Westin Hotel/Entertainment District
Link

Mayor William Bell announced today during a BJCC Board Meeting that the ground breaking for the new district will take place on January 24th.

This isn't new news but I don't think anyone had previously said on here when the groundbreaking was to take place.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 9:11 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Westin design altered to give the hotel building a 'Wow' factor

At the request of mayor William Bell, Joe Rabun (the lead architect for the project) altered the design of the building to blend traditional with contemporary styles that will standout as an eye catching part of Birmingham's skyline.

Groundbreaking takes place tomorrow next to the SEC Headquaters. The hotel will place more than 1,000 within walking distance of the BJCC, allowing more conventions to choose Birmingham that normally would have bypassed the city.

If you'll go to the link you'll see a kind of overhead view of the whole district. It's kinda small, but looks like a good concept.

I had my doubts about William Bell, but so far, he's been great for the city. Let's see if he keeps it up.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 10:17 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

They're bringing Fiat back to the US and we're getting a dealership on Grant's Mill Road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast