HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's pretty standard to consider more than just GDP and look at other areas like employment when talking about recessions. I wonder how much we really would have had mass layoffs if not for the juicing up of GDP figures through immigration that was supposedly badly needed to offset labour shortages.

I think real estate is eating the economy in Canada so a lot of other economic concerns are second-order compared to getting real estate into a sane state. I think we'd have more economic vibrancy if we didn't have all of that associated malaise (not just the problems of people not being able to find the space they need but also real estate hoovering up investment, the attendant asset bubble, etc.). I would guess there's a lot of overlap between those who retired early and those whose net worth exploded due to the real estate market.

Not sure Canada has had much real GDP growth in years apart from real estate.
The labour and skilled worker shortages for housing construction are a big reason why very few homes have been built and prices rose dramatically. We're not the only country with this issue but we're definitely one of the hardest hit by it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The labour and skilled worker shortages for housing construction are a big reason why very few homes have been built and prices rose dramatically. We're not the only country with this issue but we're definitely one of the hardest hit by it.
Only because Trudeau is stupid enough to increase immigration to insane levels at the same time.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
1. Cutting the carbon tax is revenue neutral but it's a progressive tax, and the poor who get better rebates and have less carbon emissions will be hit harder.
That seems unlikely. Low income people have less access to carbon tax evasion with international travel, are less likely to have energy efficient homes, cars, etc, are going to spend a much higher percent of their income on heating, transportation, food, etc. and usually have longer commutes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, I susoect Trudeau has more rich oligarchy friends than PP, or did Poilievre vacation on the Aga Khan's private island too?
He attended a $1700 per plate fundraiser after forcing HoC to sit and vote on his pathetic amendments and then showed up drunk with McDonalds. Some leader.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
He attended a $1700 per plate fundraiser after forcing HoC to sit and vote on his pathetic amendments and then showed up drunk with McDonalds. Some leader.
Say again?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 2:13 PM

Quote:
I bet he eats babies too… just like hillary Clinton and all those evil Hollywood celebrities! I think he may actually be the antichrist, a shapeshifter at the very least.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 2:31 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Because instead of bringing in skilled and productive immigrants, Trudeau brought in closer to a million students getting useless diplomas from Mickey Mouse colleges and deliver Uber eats for work.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
It’s not true that “very few homes have been built”. Canada has been reliably able to build ~200k per year for our lifetimes; what’s new under JT with the massive homelessness and the tent cities everywhere, is the importation of ~1.5 million new suckers per year who all want a roof over their heads in Canada. The industry obviously can’t keep up (resources are finite, it’s not even just labor).

Glad to see you finally admit we’re “definitely hit harder” than all those other places whose governments don’t deliberately spike up demand for real estate.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Janbe is no longer active on the forum. I think we have found who the Liberal Party has recruited to replace him as their mouthpiece.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 2:47 PM

Anyway, PP could show up drunk with McDonald’s and in blackface and he would still get elected PM with a majority in 2025. It looks like Canada is THAT determined to stop JT from continuing the destruction.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 3:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It’s not true that “very few homes have been built”. Canada has been reliably able to build ~200k per year for our lifetimes; what’s new under JT with the massive homelessness and the tent cities everywhere, is the importation of ~1.5 million new suckers per year who all want a roof over their heads in Canada. The industry obviously can’t keep up (resources are finite, it’s not even just labor).

Glad to see you finally admit we’re “definitely hit harder” than all those other places whose governments don’t deliberately spike up demand for real estate.

Aside from the massive amounts of highrises under construction, anecdotally I could note what seemed like wayyy more greenfield construction in the GTA suburbs last time I flew in. Large tracts of graded land on a scale that wasn't present through most of the 2010s. The construction industry is firing on all cylinders but it's both not enough and largely not geared towards the type of housing that will solve any issues as things stand.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for saying that. That's what's insane about it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 3:48 PM

“We’re currently being run by an idiot” is not a controversial statement: the nearly 80% of Canadians who are determined to vote Anything-But-Liberal in 2025 would agree with you.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Aside from the massive amounts of highrises under construction, anecdotally I could note what seemed like wayyy more greenfield construction in the GTA suburbs last time I flew in. Large tracts of graded land on a scale that wasn't present through most of the 2010s. The construction industry is firing on all cylinders but it's both not enough and largely not geared towards the type of housing that will solve any issues as things stand.
Exactly. And to continue with the engine analogy, the construction industry has a finite number of cylinders. Even a healthy modern GM V8 firing on all cylinders won’t do the job if you choose to pin to it a trailer full of 100,000 pounds of South Asian students of Business Administration at Yorktowne College :p

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I read a BMO report recently that claimed we’re actually building more units now than ever before, even taking into account our population growth. While I’m not sure how accurate that is, it is true that housing construction hasn’t declined since 2015 to explain the deep decline in affordability.

Increasing our supply of housing would obviously offset our dramatic surge in population growth in theory, but in reality there are constraints to how much an industry that is already running flat out can increase output. If it was simply a matter of increasing the import of labourers from overseas, we would have brought in a few of those amongst the 2.5 million newcomers that arrived in the last two years. Instead, the numbers suggest we are bringing in less construction labourers than in years past.

The Liberals have been asked a few times recently by media personalities to provide an estimate of how much of the 3.5 million housing deficit they expect to address, and each time they have refused to answer. The current immigration plan is similar to announcing a spending program without any plan on how to expense it. Like most of their policies, it’s clear that the current plan is to let young Canadians absorb the cost.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I read a BMO report recently that claimed we’re actually building more units now than ever before, even taking into account our population growth. While I’m not sure how accurate that is, it is true that housing construction hasn’t declined since 2015 to explain the deep decline in affordability.

Increasing our supply of housing would obviously offset our dramatic surge in population growth in theory, but in reality there are constraints to how much an industry that is already running flat out can increase output. If it was simply a matter of increasing the import of labourers from overseas, we would have brought in a few of those amongst the 2.5 million newcomers that arrived in the last two years. Instead, the numbers suggest we are bringing in less construction labourers than in years past.

The Liberals have been asked a few times recently by media personalities to provide an estimate of how much of the 3.5 million housing deficit they expect to address, and each time they have refused to answer. The current immigration plan is similar to announcing a spending program without any plan on how to expense it. Like most of their policies, it’s clear that the current plan is to let young Canadians absorb the cost.
Even if housing construction is higher it can’t possibly keep up with the massive increase in immigration and international students.

The closest parallel was the return of troops after WW2, and we are just can’t build 1950s style houses on farmland anymore.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That seems unlikely. Low income people have less access to carbon tax evasion with international travel, are less likely to have energy efficient homes, cars, etc, are going to spend a much higher percent of their income on heating, transportation, food, etc. and usually have longer commutes.
This is demonstrably false. Poor people take the bus to work while the rich don't care about gas mileage and take international vacations.

Quote:
In Canada: The richest 10 per cent of Canadians were responsible for about a quarter (24%) of national cumulative carbon emissions between 1990 and 2015, nearly as much as the poorest 50% of Canadians (29%).
Source: https://www.oxfam.ca/news/carbon-emi...f-of-humanity/

The poorest Canadians are likely to be net positive after paying for the carbon tax and then getting the rebate.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I bet he eats babies too… just like hillary Clinton and all those evil Hollywood celebrities! I think he may actually be the antichrist, a shapeshifter at the very least.
So it's a joke when PP does it, but an outrage and international embarrassment when Trudeau does?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
That would be an extreme view.

I think most of us that are sceptical of PP abilities are willing to accept he very likely does have good intentions, he is just misguided and lacks any real-world experience (outside of politics) to know what he is proposing is not consistent with our form of government and can cause great harm. He also lacks the temperament to listen and find compromise.

Someone who does not work well with others.

Despite McDonalds making major improvements in their product, it is still not very good. At least their coffee is good. Clearly he lacks good judgment in food as well. But we are not going to hold that against him. The PM would be allowed to eat crap food if he/she so choses.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 8:28 PM

Climate dinosaur Scott Moe strikes again:

https://twitter.com/PremierScottMoe/...99807169081697

People dunk on Alberta more than Saskatchewan, but Saskatchewan has quietly pulled ahead in terms of becoming the most conservative province.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada