HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:07 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin55 View Post
Is Vandessel Based of Heritage Plaza in houston?
NOPEE. Well it WASNT obvious, but it was based off of the Comerica Bank Tower in Dallas. IT WAS supposed to be modeled off of it, but It turned out to look very different from it! (THATS GOOD), but as you can seee the textures of VanDessel are from this building.

http://www.dallassky.com/bldg03.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
VanDessel made me think of Tampa for some reason.
HMPPF, I do see a resemblance of VanDessel and the AmSouth Building in Tampa.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rehuel/313197013/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Have you tried making a diagram of the city?
I've done that about twice, but it is time to make a new one, I'll see if I can finish one tonight.

Quote:
I seez A resemblance!

Thompson looks like dis one,teh tall green one(looks more like it from back)

Photo by me!

Is macfarland Like rockefffffellllerrrr Centerrrr?
YESS YOU GET THE PRIZE: my presence in this fourm!

AND YUPP, MacFarland Plaza was modeled off of the Rockafeller Center (WHICH IVE YET to show the other 3 towers).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:14 AM

Yaya! Do you Know what The Mercintile in dallas is? I can see somthng like that here. Anyways,Can we expect an update soon? Can we see the area around Galcorps Base? You havent posted much on those in a long time.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:15 AM
Editor

Quote:
Yaya! Do you Know what The Mercintile in dallas is? I can see somthng like that here. Anyways,Can we expect an update soon? Can we see the area around Galcorps Base? You havent posted much on those in a long time.
YUPP DA CLOCK TOWER. Not exactly my favorite, a sort of clash of the styles. STAUNTON had a short-lived clock tower, remember? But I deleted it since It didnt fit into the new layout. But I do think Staunton needs a Clock Tower, I just need to find a prominent spott.

WELL THE REASON>I havent posted too many pics of that area is BECAUSE itss empty. I still need to work on that area, I still dont have a theme or idea for the district yet.

HERES YO DIAGRAM ALEKS.
Oh my turnedd out better than I expected

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:45 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

WOW! AWESOME! If a Sketchup City could get it's own file in the Diagram Section this would definitely be it. I had never even seen Metropolitan Steel Lofts until now.

The stick exchange tower looks Indian/Middle Eastern-ish. Or maybe it's because I can't see the details much but it's my favorite Lloyd Tower.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:07 AM
Editor

Quote:
WOW! AWESOME! If a Sketchup City could get it's own file in the Diagram Section this would definitely be it. I had never even seen Metropolitan Steel Lofts until now.

The stick exchange tower looks Indian/Middle Eastern-ish. Or maybe it's because I can't see the details much but it's my favorite Lloyd Tower.
THANKS!

Metropolitan Steel Lofts has been around for ages, always been a 1940's building, ORIGINALLY the "Metropolitan Building" an office building, THENN "Carter Place" a newley renovated once office building, sat empty for 10+ years, revamped to a residential building in the 2000's. Its now the "Metropolitan Steel Lofts"

Its never been in a truely prominent spot, always covered by its always much taller neighbors, making the building look small, despite it being very tall.

FlashBack!
Staunton before the overhal!

SEE HOW MANY BUILDINGS, you can spot that have survived the overhal. REMEMBER, I'm not done yet, so some of the buildings in this picture that you havent seen yet might return.

And yes I do miss Old Staunton's density, and its cliffs to the ocean

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:59 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Why does the last image look so large pixel like?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:46 PM
World Machine

The older version was great, a shame that it is no longer that way. And an excellent job with that pic. I have to say, out of all the cities here, yours is the one that could pass off as an actual city by far. Everything about it, down to the skyline, looks very realistic. The skyline (in above pic) flows very well, and identifies the gaps (from the streets) very well like a real city.

You should really consider a career in real estate development like myself, and perhaps some of those buildings can become a reality. You'd save your architect a lot of trouble, and yourself (company) a lot of money.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:08 PM

GREAT diagram patrick! i love all of staunton but the stock exchange tower and the garden state are by far my favorites!

Great job

one question though... does staunton still have the two peninsulas on either side of were those removed with the new layout?

Last edited by treras93; Jan 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:16 AM
Editor

Quote:
Why does the last image look so large pixel like?
I guess cause its older, so my photoshopping skills werent so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
And an excellent job with that pic. I have to say, out of all the cities here, yours is the one that could pass off as an actual city by far. Everything about it, down to the skyline, looks very realistic. The skyline (in above pic) flows very well, and identifies the gaps (from the streets) very well like a real city.
I'm confused, you talking about the Old Staunton Skyline or the New One?

Quote:
You should really consider a career in real estate development like myself, and perhaps some of those buildings can become a reality. You'd save your architect a lot of trouble, and yourself (company) a lot of money.
THANKS But I've been thinking of a career in the graphic design field. IDK YET, as long as I get to move back to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
one question though... does staunton still have the two peninsulas on either side of were those removed with the new layout?
You Mean Downtown Staunton and Jefferson? Both are still there. Jefferson will still be a peninsula, but I think I'm going to turn the borough of Staunton (not the city, the downtown area and surroundings) into an island. Although I guess that would be too much like Manhattan.

SO WE GOT THIS 90's STYLED PICTURR.
Enjoyy.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 12:31 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Oh, nevermind. My crappy computer/internet must not have shown the picture well. Now I see it. It looks awesome. And you're way better than me at Photoshop. I suck at it. The last image looks awesome.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 12:38 PM

Question

How many MB big your city is?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:25 PM
World Machine

I was talking more about the older skyline. That Pano pic you showed of the old one above (with Staunton Life, etc...)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:08 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV994-CB View Post
How many MB big your city is?
22.8mb

Quote:
I was talking more about the older skyline. That Pano pic you showed of the old one above (with Staunton Life, etc...)
WELL, I loved Staunton's Original Skyline, big, very balanced from every direction, and griddy.

BUT look at the skyline, dose that look like a skyline of a City with 2 million people, more like 6 million. PLUS, is there an east coast city, with a grid? Well yes Midtown Manhattan, but i'm talking about peninsulas and islands, like Boston and NYC.

So I had to give it up, there wasnt enough detail and the scale was very wrong. Just wait till current Staunton gets its fair share of filler buildings, it will look realalistic.

I mean what dont you like about the new skyline?

Yes Or No?
- Put the StauntonLife Building and the Older Tower back in Jefferson (Remember the old Jefferson skyline), or put them in midtown.

- Midtown Staunton will be a medium sized skyline, with Staunton Square, and Broadway extending down too Downtown (so a long theater district will be in the works soon). Midtown's skyline will compose of Staunton Square, and about three to four office towers 600ft - 800ft. Three of them willl be older towers, and one will be a box, so should I put StauntonLife in Midtown, and terminate a Street, like it was intended to? Or put it in Jefferson like before?

- Midtown will also be on a grid, since its far enough from the tip of the island

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:59 PM
World Machine

I'd like to see the StauntonLife Building make a return. It did justice to the skyline.

BTW: Why do you use made up companies and not real life ones?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:47 PM

more fun?

Patrick,yes yes and yes.
And the 90's shot looks real neat! The water looks really polluted for some reason,that shot makes the waterfront look..Funny? it just doesnt look right

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 5:10 AM
BANNED

hey patrick looks great love the 90's style shot.

also just out of curiosity, where did you get the galcorp texture. i know its from birds eye view. but i mean what building.

if you dont mind my asking

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:34 AM
Editor

Quote:
I
BTW: Why do you use made up companies and not real life ones?
Quote:
more fun?
YESS, thats why. Its more fun, requires crativity, and its just better than using boring real life names.

Obviously I just take a spin on actual companies:

NEXXONoil = ExxonMobil
Horizon Wireless = Verizon Wireless
Lloyd = Trump
JCMorgenn Mace = JPMorgan Chase
Shorefield Properties = Brookfield Properties
NewsGarner = TimeWarner
Derril Flynch = Merrill Lynch
Cybersoft = Microsoft
US Airlines = US Airways
Trinity Global Investments = Barclay Global Investors
Orange Financial = Mellon Financial
Kyatt = Hyatt
ELFthompson = Total Fina Elf (France)
StauntonLife = Metlife
Jefferson Stanley = Morgan Stanley

The others I've made myself

Galviston Enterprises
Kent Enterprises
Hamilton Investments
Far East Insurance
MaxxCon Systems
GalChemicals
GalOil
Markham Marketing
VanDessel Financial

Oh and Dac, what dont you like about the New Skyline, is it not realalistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasco47 View Post
also just out of curiosity, where did you get the galcorp texture. i know its from birds eye view. but i mean what building.

if you dont mind my asking
I have no clue. All I know is that its in Lower Manhattan, but there is no building with windows like that, so I'm thinking I took the textures from Two New York Plaza, and stitched together the Vertical Windows.

Heres a virtical picture of the Callahan Cluster.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:39 AM

looks great
i like the building with the dome on top (sorry i dont remember the name i'm sure you've probably mentioned many times)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Awesome pic, your city reminds me of N.Y. in the summer and pre-2000. Glassy buildings (not too tall) would look good in the Callahan Cluster. Maybe some modern Gehry/SOM/Norman Foster/Rem Koolhas would look good. Some weird shaped museums would look awesome in the waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:02 PM

I dont know,staunton looks pretty glassy.Jefferson stanley center,staunton financial center and some stuff around Monmouth are all really glassy.But I would love to see some museams

I love that shot of callahan,it is the perfict balance of old and new.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup