HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slckid View Post
The 150 Main apartment tower is never going to happen. I have multiple lawsuits in the works right now, a team of attorneys working on this, and I could block it right now.
I imagine a developer of that size is dealing with constant lawsuits all the time.

Quote:
Also amazing that some of you here care more about a billionaire skyscraper than our city's Mayor lying for years and working against the public she is sworn to serve.
This is literally called "Skyscraperpage"

That being said, I do care about corruption and the theater should not have been sold for $0. It should have been auctioned off to the highest bidder and if someone wanted to preserve it and had the resources to do so they could have bought it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCityScrapers View Post
*YOU* and people like you are why I rarely post.
I have an open mind, you don't.
You are passionate about this, no doubt...BUT...
If you want a thread to vent about the Utah Theater, create one.
I've only posted 40 times? So what!
Quality over quantity.
I've been reading skyscraperpage and following this forum since the early 2000s.
My original user, Skyscrapers4Me, was created in 2007 after several years of just reading.
My current user was created in 2014 after I lost my password.
I suspect...*YOU* are the johnny-come-lately, sonny.
I don't feel the need to blab endlessly about dead projects, unlike some people. No one needs to feel my angst.
I'm old school, sonny. Older and wiser than you, sonny.
I was in high school when than Sears Tower and original WTC were built in the late 1970s.
I was upset when the Hotel Newhouse got imploded. Remember that?
I went to dances at the Terrace Ballroom next door many times, saw many good concerts there.
I can tell you far more about the history of architecture in SLC and the background then you could ever imagine.
I love skyscrapers. I love architecture. I love city development. I love SLC. And I love good theater.
Makid is spot on with those posts. Facts, not emotion.
You want to come on here and hijack the forum with endless posts about a theater that no one paid to restore, 30 years too late.
If you wanted the theater saved, why didn't you pony up the money and restore it yourself? There are already two theaters in the area, there is no parking in the area, no one went there in the first place, it was a fire hazard that was waiting for homeless people to accidentally burn down when looking for shelter in the winter, and it wasn't earthquake-proof.
If you want to act and have any self-confidence, why don't you audition and go on stage there?
I would've loved to see the theater saved and restored, but no one did it, no one ever would!

There are many others reading and writing on this forum who feel the same way but bite their tongues.

Now continue attacking me and anyone else who would like to see actual development of skyscrapers in the Salt Lake area, while you delay actual development that would've upgraded the area and provided more customers to the existing theaters.
People post facts about why the theater got torn down, facts about why the city does things the way it does, and you rip into them and call them liars.
You attack the developers.
I'm sure you'll go off and attack me personally, while bringing nothing valid to the table.
The moderators allow your constant posting and attacking. I'm hoping I don't get banned now for saying what needed to be said. I'm done with it.
Yes, you touched a nerve.

Back off.
That being said...
Have a nice day and calm down. Prove me wrong by letting it go.
I apologize to the other readers, moderators, and posters for this rant.
No need to talk to this guy anymore, for me anyway. Let's get back to actual topics.
Amen.

And Michael, propaganda isn’t false by definition. It’s just biased and misleading in nature, by definition….which your constant propaganda posts are Biased, and misleading.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 11:57 PM

1176 W 2100 S Townhouse Project

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 1176 W 2100 S

Project includes 231 townhouse residential units built on 6.64 acres.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������ Amen.

And Michael, propaganda isn’t false by definition. It’s just biased and misleading in nature, by definition….which your constant propaganda posts are ������ Biased, and misleading.
I disagree. Michael is a whistleblower, not a corrupt developer posing as a public servant, spreading propaganda to cover up an unethical shady deal.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

Is that green space along the river part of the development and accessible to citizens? I think we need to start requiring more green space for residents of these kinds of massive townhome developments. If it's not part of the development and accessible, then that is a major L. A pool and tiny clubhouse are not enough.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:53 AM
They all float down here

Quote:

Kind of dystopian looking.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 3:44 AM

Another Asher Adams update from this evening:

I believe this project is called Alta Stone at the Gateway:

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Kind of dystopian looking.
Our future looks like Blade Runner, just stubbier.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
All my info on the Pantages comes from here, so my thoughts on the theatre are based on what is discussed here for better or worse. Since my info does come from here and folks like Makid have provided accurate info on many other developments, I take what they say as legitimate. If lawsuits are ongoing then only time will tell what is really going on. I’ll patiently wait and see. If even half of what Michael is saying is true then to you Michael I say good luck in our court of law where money can buy altered stories and reduced judgments. Hines is going to have a lot of money to throw at the courts if it comes to that to prove their story. Basically even if what you’re saying is true people like me will never know how things went down. And we’re all just development and tower nerds here who like towers. So it’s not our fault for being excited about a new tower. And speaking for myself here it’s hard to see through the weeds to believe what went down. One thing I can 100% agree on, there is a ton of parking and public transport downtown. Too much parking imo
Appreciate your kind words and nuanced perspective. I don't know Makid or really anyone here. You guys all seem cool and nice and I think it's awesome you are all passionate about building and Salt Lake. Love that this forum exists and you all geek out on architecture and nerdy things. This story has not been reported on accurately by the press so I understand why misinformation gets spread.

I do know there isn't anyone else alive that knows more about the Pantages and this one development deal than I do as it has consumed my entire life the last four years to the point I've spent over $100,000 of my own money to save the theater, Hines fabricating a fake stalking injunction against me, and am now running for Mayor of Salt Lake City entirely because of this deal.

What's wild is there is even more to this than what I already mentioned here but I can't speak on it publicly yet haha. Plenty of parking downtown! We need more investments in public transportation. I would love to see some historic trolley lines brought back in conjunction with Trax/frontrunner expansion.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I disagree. Michael is a whistleblower, not a corrupt developer posing as a public servant, spreading propaganda to cover up an unethical shady deal.
Thanks, my friend! Appreciate ya!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I imagine a developer of that size is dealing with constant lawsuits all the time.

This is literally called "Skyscraperpage"

That being said, I do care about corruption and the theater should not have been sold for $0. It should have been auctioned off to the highest bidder and if someone wanted to preserve it and had the resources to do so they could have bought it.
Well, Hines is a massive international real estate company. I personally know that the CEO in Texas is well aware of every aspect of this corrupt deal they've been engaged in here in Salt Lake. If this deal is any indication of their larger ethical standards, then yes, I do imagine they get sued often for collusion, fraud, and anti-democratic business practices. Makes me curious of every deal they are doing across the country.

"Salt Lake City" Skyscraperpage. I do hope you all here care more about the well-being of our entire city more than any one development deal. A mayor illegally giving $20 million dollars of historic public property to a company that manages $160 billion in global real estate in a backroom $0 deal is bad news for every single resident in our great city.

"That being said, I do care about corruption and the theater should not have been sold for $0. It should have been auctioned off to the highest bidder and if someone wanted to preserve it and had the resources to do so they could have bought it."

This is all the Pantages crew has ever wanted! I first made an offer of $500,000 to buy the theater, then we upped it to $2,000,000. I had investors that would give us $10,000,000 but I needed access to the theater to finalize a business plan and get our experts in. The city would never let us in.

If the deal had been a normal RFP process, we would have bought the theater and be restoring it right now. I was about to meet with the Eccles when it was destroyed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:57 PM

I watched Michael’s interview by Utah Stories on the Panteges. I encourage others to do so if they have time. Always good to hear both sides of the story before forming strong opinions

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 5:05 PM
Space Magi

Was the theatre deal chummy? Yeah, it seems so. Was the deal undemocratic? Possibly, but that's hard to quantify especially in retrospect. Was it in the city's best interest? That's really up to individual opinion. Was it illegal? I remain unconvinced.

If it was illegal, then I hope Michael and his lawsuits get to the bottom of it. As it stands, I don't think anything has been proven in court at this point.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 6:07 PM

That townhome project looks like it could be the new prison. At least they can look longingly at the open space in the Glendale Golf Course.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 6:14 PM
Lahaina Strong

Here's a couple photos from this morning.

1618 Main.

One Burton (South Salt Lake)

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
That townhome project looks like it could be the new prison. At least they can look longingly at the open space in the Glendale Golf Course.
Agree. I can just feel the architects' souls dying having to 'design' it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 10:08 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Agree. I can just feel the architects' souls dying having to 'design' it.
A plain box is an engineer's best friend and an architect's worst enemy.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I have to disagree with the comparison to Boise: downtown SLC feels way, way bigger in scale than downtown Boise (because it is). Of course, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better and I think Boise has a lot going for it.

I do agree that the general vibrancy/walkability in SLC falls off pretty quickly once you move away from Main Street, particularly to the southwest. The urban connectivity is recovering, albeit slowly.

Which reminds me, and I can't remember if it's been mentioned here or not: the BRIX project is fully under construction now.

Agree. Albeit Downtown is definitely moving in the right direction. Taking into account Makid's posts on the labor/current projects/ materials factors we will hopefully be able to soon be able to speed up the trend of highrise densification on Main and State. I would also like to see some decent highrise progress on W. Temple and all east/west streets connecting W. Temple to 3rd and 4th West. This decade has the potential to give downtown SLC a much bigger feel.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 2:07 PM

Equipment started to arrive yesterday for the demolition and site prep for Block 67 Phase 2.

I had heard that Block C and D would be happening at the same time about 6 months ago. I know that things shift all the time but this would be really nice to see all happen at once. The downside would be that the 2 towers in block D will be 375' or less. With this, there won't be a need to go through a design review as it fits in the overlay zoning.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Equipment started to arrive yesterday for the demolition and site prep for Block 67 Phase 2.

I had heard that Block C and D would be happening at the same time about 6 months ago. I know that things shift all the time but this would be really nice to see all happen at once. The downside would be that the 2 towers in block D will be 375' or less. With this, there won't be a need to go through a design review as it fits in the overlay zoning.
Block D is definitely not being built any time soon. As you mentioned, that block would require planning processes and official filings. So far, nothing has been officially filed with Salt Lake regarding Block D except for the plat.

Beyond demolition, the only thing currently approved is Block C (design review) which got approved by the Planning Commission.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West