HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 10:41 PM

Walking home from the Montrose Brown line stop I noticed that there is a change of zoning sign on the construction staging/community garden lot right next to the stop. The application is to change the zoning to B3-1 and mentions 13 units, so hopefully this is evidence that something is in the works.

On an unrelated note, this house was built last fall after the previous old house sat empty and boarded up. I was excited when they started tearing it down but then this is what replaced it. I think it might be the ugliest sfh built in the city last year but I wanted your opinions. The photos aren't great because I was trying to be inconspicuous.

photos are mine

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:14 PM

I don't like it at all.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
tilted & shifted

DePaul Theater

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:31 PM
tilted & shifted

Goodman Center

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:17 AM

Yeah, that thing is butt ugly. The brick is fake plastic siding stuff too. I saw them put it up. When they first started it I thought it might be an interesting modern design with the shapes in the front. But the fake brick is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standpoor View Post
Walking home from the Montrose Brown line stop I noticed that there is a change of zoning sign on the construction staging/community garden lot right next to the stop. The application is to change the zoning to B3-1 and mentions 13 units, so hopefully this is evidence that something is in the works.

On an unrelated note, this house was built last fall after the previous old house sat empty and boarded up. I was excited when they started tearing it down but then this is what replaced it. I think it might be the ugliest sfh built in the city last year but I wanted your opinions. The photos aren't great because I was trying to be inconspicuous.

photos are mine

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:37 AM
TL;DR

The side elevation facing the schoolyard is actually kinda cool. With something better than vinyl siding, it would be a nice whimsical "wall" for the schoolyard that doesn't rely on some tacky mural done by a Diego Rivera wannabe. The front is unusual but at least it isn't a faux-limestone Parisian plumper.

Drool at the DePaul theatre school btw. I gave Pelli crap for Wolf Point but this building is elegant and beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:17 AM
General Counsel, CTBUH

Southwest Corner of Wabash and 18th Street

Does anyone know what is being built here? This was formerly the site of the "Eco18" condominium project. I really hope someone isn't building a gas station. Maybe it's just utility work...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Nice *drool* photo *drool*.
Makes me want to write Roosevelt University into my last will and testament ... and I don't even have any connection to them (nor much to offer really).

I wonder what are the chances the Auditorium Building can lose the exterior fire escape somehow. Didn't the Palmer House successfully achieve this, and they even had an attractive grille/facade concealing theirs?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:38 AM

^ Wow!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standpoor View Post
Are you sure it said B3-1 not B1-3
It is already zoned B1-1 and would only allow 4 or 5 units. Going to B3-1 won't get you any higher density but it will allow you to get a liquor license.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Are you sure it said B3-1 not B1-3
It is already zoned B1-1 and would only allow 4 or 5 units. Going to B3-1 won't get you any higher density but it will allow you to get a liquor license.
Here it is:
NO. 17489 (47,WARD) ORDINANCE REFERRED (5_9_12)
DOCUMENT # 02012-3287
1819'West Montrose Avenue
Applicant:Montrose Green LLC
Owner:Montrose Green LLC
Attorney:Andrew Scott

Change Request:

B1-1 Neighborhood Shopping District to B3-2 Communiry
Shopping District
The applicant is considering developing a building with
approximately 5,000 square feet of ground floor retail, 13
dwelling units and 4500 square feet of office space for small
businesses above the ground floor. The project will also include
approximately 10 off street parking spaces.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:31 PM
Urbane observer

SWC 18th & Wabash is an exciting new Goodyear service facility.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Jun 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:33 PM

Does anyone know whats going in that lot next to the Irving Park stop? Looks like whatever was planned is finally going up.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Does anyone know whats going in that lot next to the Irving Park stop? Looks like whatever was planned is finally going up.
If you are referring to the Brown Line stop, I've asked as well. No idea, though my guess is apartments or condos with first floor retail.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Here it is:
NO. 17489 (47,WARD) ORDINANCE REFERRED (5_9_12)
DOCUMENT # 02012-3287
1819'West Montrose Avenue
Applicant:Montrose Green LLC
Owner:Montrose Green LLC
Attorney:Andrew Scott

Change Request:

B1-1 Neighborhood Shopping District to B3-2 Communiry
Shopping District
The applicant is considering developing a building with
approximately 5,000 square feet of ground floor retail, 13
dwelling units and 4500 square feet of office space for small
businesses above the ground floor. The project will also include
approximately 10 off street parking spaces.
Thank you very much. The sign also clearly says B3-2, time for an eye appointment I think. There are also new signs advertising the retail and commercial spaces as well that either were not there yesterday or I just missed them. B3-2 makes more sense for 13 units, that allows what 5 stories? This parcel only has about 30 feet of street frontage and all buildings but Ravenswood Hospital are less than 3 1/2 stories in that area, so a nice big building will really stand out. Even with 10 spots this should be a nice TOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Wow, I did not pay any attention to this but they are moving right along. They have the foundations poured and a really giant pile of dirt.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 9:55 PM
General Counsel, CTBUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
SWC 18th & Wabash is an exciting new Goodyear service facility.
Wonderful. I wonder what they'll do with the roof? Bridgestone-Firestone on the Northwest corner of Wabash and 16th is becoming a canvas for some very poor "graffiti artists." Have any renderings been released of the structure?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=Standpoor;5742279]Thank you very much. The sign also clearly says B3-2, time for an eye appointment I think. There are also new signs advertising the retail and commercial spaces as well that either were not there yesterday or I just missed them. B3-2 makes more sense for 13 units, that allows what 5 stories? This parcel only has about 30 feet of street frontage and all buildings but Ravenswood Hospital are less than 3 1/2 stories in that area, so a nice big building will really stand out. Even with 10 spots this should be a nice TOD.

Technically they could get five stories, but they probably won't.

B*-2 has a max zoning height of 50ft (for lots with frontage >25ft) but the first floor must have a 13ft ceiling height. When you add in the floor plates, you would need 8ft ceilings to shoehorn in the extra four floors.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Nice *drool* photo *drool*.
Makes me want to write Roosevelt University into my last will and testament ... and I don't even have any connection to them (nor much to offer really).
God bless them for building a low rise here and protecting that fantastic view of the Auditorium Building stacked along with the RU dorm and CNA... truly stunning.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Yeah, that thing is butt ugly. The brick is fake plastic siding stuff too. I saw them put it up. When they first started it I thought it might be an interesting modern design with the shapes in the front. But the fake brick is terrible.
Vinyl Siding and Plastic Brick a marriage made in heaven...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
It could be kind of cool if the materials had been right (re: real). I could see it with a panelized facade with each of the geometries in a different related finish: wood, metal panel, corrugated steel, back painted glass, maybe some real brick etc. But modernism just goes tacky without quality materials.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development