HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 11:15 PM

But, Salt Lake City's boundaries include allot of wet lands and National Forest land that you would also have to subtract. In addition to Salt Lake International airport which is still quite large, although not as large as DIA.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 11:50 PM
Space Magi

Yeah only ~60% of SLC's land is developable. Maybe half of that is zoned to allow residential uses.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 1:19 AM
They all float down here

I was not comparing Salt Lake to Denver, guys. I was just pointing out that we're a small area compared to a lot of the larger cities and that's why our clout is probably significantly less in our state's legislature.

It's why Salt Lake, despite going 70% for Biden in 2020, barely impacts the overall state's total. We're not like Arizona and Colorado and Nevada where the city is large enough to make up a huge impact in statewide politics.

Arizona is blue today because Maricopa County has finally flipped blue. Biden won 1,040,774 votes in that county alone - or 62% of his overall vote in Arizona.

Even just looking at Salt Lake County, which is much smaller than Maricopa (4.5 million to Salt Lake County's 1.2 million), Biden won 289,906 votes (54% of Salt Lake County) and that was only 52% of his overall vote statewide. For Trump, he had 230,174 votes total in Salt Lake, which was only 27% of his statewide total.

Despite Salt Lake County likely running more liberal than Maricopa overall (Biden won Maricopa with 50% of the vote in 2020), because the county is only 35% of the state's population overall, whereas Maricopa is 62% of Arizona's population, the overall political impact Salt Lake COUNTY (let alone city) is far less than the major urban areas of our neighbors.

Just look at Clark County, Nevada. It's 73% of Nevada's population.

In many ways, Salt Lake and Boise are very similar in that regard - large urban centers but not large enough to have a statewide impact. Ada County, home to Boise, makes up just 27% of Idaho's population. So, even less than Salt Lake's.

That factors into the Salt Lake bias too, IMO.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 4:00 AM

Tower pics from street level today. Not sure what happened to the quality when I uploaded this time

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmallwood View Post
I've wanted to see a coalition of cities work together to make a regional economic development plan for years, each city is constantly trying to out do themselves and complete for the all coveted sales tax dollars. Anyway, I don't have much more to add, just thought I'd share.
I agree with this sentiment, and to be fair, there are several intercity development masterplans I can think of off the top of my head, but most involve a specific aspect of urban development. For example, West Jordan and South Jordan have a shared trails and bike lane masterplan currently in the works, and West Jordan and Midvale are working together to create a cohesive plan for the areas surrounding 3 TRAX stations in the 2 cities. That second one is probably closer to what you're talking about, but we're definitely still lacking in terms of cohesion between the suburban cities in how the urban fabric should grow

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 4:28 PM
Verticle

Interesting article in TOWERS; a "magazine" devoted to Austin, TX buildings, stating that most proposed projects are now dead, on hold, or being downsized. The tallest 80 story planned tower is now 45 stories, but not broken ground. And while Waterline has broken ground, there seemed to be speculation that it may not be finished. All in all, it claims the current building cycle to be over.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 6:08 PM
Space Magi

Here's a shot I took yesterday while waiting at the stoplight at 200S.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
Interesting article in TOWERS; a "magazine" devoted to Austin, TX buildings, stating that most proposed projects are now dead, on hold, or being downsized. The tallest 80 story planned tower is now 45 stories, but not broken ground. And while Waterline has broken ground, there seemed to be speculation that it may not be finished. All in all, it claims the current building cycle to be over.
Man if all their towers are on hold or projects are dead that can’t be good news for us. Hope we don’t go down the same path.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 5:38 PM
Space Magi

Some shots of the Post District this morning. It's still under construction in some spots but already it is a very cool place and it looks like the units are being leased up quickly. I am excited to see it grow further westward with the Silos project.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 9:34 PM

Thanks Atlas for getting some updates of Post. The Post District is so cool. Can't wait for West Village/Silo across the street to get underway.

If anyone is traveling by The Citizen on 5th could you grab a couple of pics? That's a large project that should be showing some real progress by now.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 12:40 PM

Have A Happy Fourth

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 2:59 PM
Engineer

Quote:
That’s too bad. Wilson Tower was probably my favorite high rise proposal of the last few years. I really want to see something like that in slc for a new tallest.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 4:28 PM
Verticle

Imho, the Worthington seems to be a close rendition of the Wilson on Austin...except better. But, i have always thought that the architecture in slc to be exceptional. I know thays not a popular opinion on this site. With a few exceptions, in MY opinion.

Secondly, the recent updates are phenomenal. Loving the Post District emerging vibe and the Silos addition.

Lastly, the recent drone video was astonishing! The city looks expansive, dense and growing in it. Compared to when i lived there in the 80s and 90s when there were only 5 tall buildings, and the old ZCMI and Crossroad Malls, its absolutely not the same city. That city was more of a large town that felt asleep even on a Friday night. I could go on and on about how i use to sing at the Heather Restaurant for diners entertainment, or the incredible steaks at the Old Salt Jail, or walking down South Temple every morning to work at the huge 3 level Deseret Book That use to be right there across from the Church Administration Building. The things being taken for grated today didnt even exist! No church museum, no wells fargo, no utah one, no City Creek Center. There was a small lower level club called The Broadway that served non alcoholic drinks that us Deseret Book employees would go to and we felt like we were sinning! Lol! It truly is amazing the pace of development.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 7:25 PM

My opinion exactly, Dallas Snob. I have lived in Salt Lake since the mid Eighties and the changes are phenomenal.

Salt Lake in the eighties was a much smaller and less sophisticated city than it feels now. Walking down State Street the other day it actually felt like I was in a big city for the first time really since I have lived here.

Astra has really changed the vibe and feel of State Street and the whole downtown in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Lastly, the recent drone video was astonishing! The city looks expansive, dense and growing in it. Compared to when i lived there in the 80s and 90s when there were only 5 tall buildings, and the old ZCMI and Crossroad Malls, its absolutely not the same city. That city was more of a large town that felt asleep even on a Friday night. I could go on and on about how i use to sing at the Heather Restaurant for diners entertainment, or the incredible steaks at the Old Salt Jail, or walking down South Temple every morning to work at the huge 3 level Deseret Book That use to be right there across from the Church Administration Building. The things being taken for grated today didnt even exist! No church museum, no wells fargo, no utah one, no City Creek Center. There was a small lower level club called The Broadway that served non alcoholic drinks that us Deseret Book employees would go to and we felt like we were sinning! Lol! It truly is amazing the pace of development.
Downtown Salt Lake City has really changed, particularly post Olympics.
Since then, we added 222 S Main, The Regent, 99 West and the development of the rest of City Creek. We added the new Federal Courthouse (the Borg Cube) 111 S Main, 95 South State, Liberty Sky and the Hyatt Regency. This doesn't mention the dozens of lower density projects around downtown and the city more broadly.

Here are some of my favorite screenshots from that drone video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
My opinion exactly, Dallas Snob. I have lived in Salt Lake since the mid Eighties and the changes are phenomenal.

Salt Lake in the eighties was a much smaller and less sophisticated city than it feels now. Walking down State Street the other day it actually felt like I was in a big city for the first time really since I have lived here.

Astra has really changed the vibe and feel of State Street and the whole downtown in my opinion.
Agreed, though it is more than just Astra. In the past few years we have seen 95 S State, Liberty Sky, Astra and the Brinshore State Street project (The Astor) all within about a 2 block stretch of State Street. Those projects combined have made a big difference.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jul 4, 2023 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 11:18 PM

I’ll preface by saying I love all the infill and development going on in SLC. The Post district is awesome and the towers going up are great. But I’m not blown away by the architecture of SLC compared to other cities, and it doesn’t feel like a big city to me. It feels like a small city, and that’s what I like about it. I really like that parking is cheap if I drive downtown, or I can take trax and it drops me off right downtown. I like that I can walk to one side to the next relatively quickly, or drive thru it in a minute or two. Some of the church architecture is cool. Not being from Utah the first time I saw some of the church architecture I thought it was unique. But overall the vibe I get is a small city that is growing but still has a small city vibe compared to larger cities I’ve been to. When I zoom around in google earth in 3D mode and compare SLC to other downtowns, what I find is our downtown is still relatively small and not too dense compared to larger cities (giant parking lots don’t help). Really provides some perspective. I do find we have a leg up at this point compared to other smaller cities, and that speaks to all the great development going on. It has changed a ton over the years, and is becoming much more vibrant, but it’s still small and I’m perfectly all right with that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 12:34 AM
They all float down here

I'm sure Salt Lake feels more sophisticated and bigger than it did in the 1980s. But I can't say I've ever walked downtown and felt like I was in a major US city - or even a big city. That vibe has never existed for Salt Lake. So, I agree with TheGeographer. In fact, downtown Salt Lake didn't feel all that different than downtown Boise when I was there a couple years ago.

Just a bit taller buildings but nothing where you feel like you're in a major urban center.

I think some of that is just how wide the streets are, especially outside Main. But it's also because of how rapidly it de-densifies once you get out of Main and State.

To be fair, it's getting better but it's still lacking. I'm hoping in 20+ years, we'll have really built out and up beyond Main and State.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:13 AM

Salt Lake is small, and feels smaller than it is on top of that. Just visually speaking, this can be partially attributed to our wide streets and wide towers. Our stubby buildings look shorter than they actually are.

This visual I’ve made sums up what I'm trying to find the right words to describe.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 4:16 AM
Lahaina Strong

Sunset photos

A few photos from tonight. Happy 4th!

We never get enough of Astra.

Or Worthington.

Here's the fire-damaged Silverado Apartments, unsure about the future of this property.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 5:44 AM
They all float down here

I do think the wide streets and large blocks make it more challenging to feel urban. But I also think, as I said in my post, that the rapid deurbanization of Salt Lake once you're off Main Street and State Street plays a significant role in it.

It just doesn't feel like an actual major downtown outside State and Main.

You go down to 300 South and West Temple and there's nothing urban there. That might as well be a picture from Albuquerque, New Mexico:

Granted, there's room for that to change - and I am sure in 20 years it'll look very different than it does now. But these intersections just a block from the major core are devoid of any urban elements. Even 200 South still feels pretty mid, despite all the changes there.

Most major cities aren't going to see that dramatic of a drop-off just a block from its urban core. It just doesn't happen. Even sunbelt cities are built up better outside its literal center than Salt Lake is.

Granted, that's also just one example. We know the western part of downtown is still struggling (and boy if the Jazz relocate out of there and the Delta Center is raised, it'll be even more of a struggle).

It's better on the eastern end of downtown but I've concluded that wide streets and large blocks makes any area without significant height just feel less urban in nature.

So, you have situations like this where the urban-ness of the city just falls off even when it's still fairly urban:

Again, that could be any mid-sized US city. Hopefully we start to see further development that goes up - as I think that's really the only way to create that vibe with how wide our streets are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West