HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 4:41 PM

I'm sure someone's mentioned this before, but Cartier opening what it looks like a 2-storey flagship on Alberni and Burrard, in the old Hermes spot I believe? And possibly the 2nd floor was Salaam Bombay? Fact checkers call me out on this if it's inaccurate, I'm too tired to search. But anyways, it's a nice add to the 'hood, for keeping the luxury row thriving. I should have taken a picture because I think it also said something like "Relocating from 456 Howe St.", their current location in that north part of Howe St. near Canada Place. I know some stores have banked on that area, but it doesn't actually seem good for this kind of retail. Luxury retail likes to be around luxury retail, it just works. It's not like McDonalds finding a spot far away from other competitors, luxury retail seems to love the high-end hubs with "competitors" close by, it must be a proven sales-generator for luxury stores to exist in the same area if they do this all over the world. Luxury specific zones exist throughout the world and it appears to be a good strategy for these companies. Very rarely do you see Louis Vuitton or Gucci open in a far away location without any competitors around. They always gravitate to the streets that house their rivals.

Althought I never do (or could) shop at these high end stores myself, it kind of feels good to see these stores flourishing. Whether it is primarily locals or tourists, it doesn't really mattter at this point, either/or is a big sign of confidence. If these stores weren't performing they would be good by now, let alone undergoing big renos. In the last couple of years, Hermes and Tiffany had expansions; new stores for Jimmy Choo, Van Cleef & Arepels, IWC Schaffhausen, and then in the last 5 years you can include Prada, Saint Laurent, Mocler, Brunello Cucinelli, Stefano Ricci. And Gucci is in the old Escada space (which was a loss) temporarily until their Hotel Georgia location reno is completed. The old Escada space is kind of strange, it is very stand-off-ish from the street, it feels like 'effort' to go inside. I know it's subtle and maybe I'm out to lunch, but something about the stairs to go up into this office-lobby space, seems like a no-go for luxury. I think their are smart for keeping their Hotel Vancouver space. But makes me wonder what will go in next when Gucci returns to their old space? Bets anyone?

I have such a geek response to luxury stores. It's like I have no interest in the products, or the image, or the prestige at all, I have no desire for luxury goods. But I am a total urban landscape enthusiast first and foremost, so seeing these areas flourish makes me happy. It adds to the layers of the city, even if most Vancouverites can't afford to shop there, it is a hallmark of major cities to have a thriving international fashion scene. All major metropolioses have international luxury shopping as a mainstay, it's like in human DNA to assign the most prestigious categories for the ones with major stores. Somehow the "online" craze hasn't killed this yet, let's hope it doesn't. I have to tell you, the last few weeks I've taken long walks around the City, especially downtown. There is a noticeable vibrancy that's returned, especially compared to 6+ months ago. It's like night and day, and it makes me soooo happy to see it, it's an odd sense of eurphoria just seeing people out and enjoying themselves again, even if something frivolous. I feel like people are more comfortable spoling themselves now more than ever (even if they can't afford it). Interesting times, I feel hints of what it must have been like in the post-1945 euphoria in countries like America, when it was a fresh start after years of suffering (obviously The Depression and two years of COVID are not direct similiarities, the mood in the aftermath feels similiar

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 5:00 PM

Looks like Jollibee is opening another location...directly above the brand new Starbucks on Cambie and Broadway.

Drove past it last night and the whole street-facing windows on both the Cambie facade and the Broadway facade are now floor-to-ceiling signage announcing the future location.

Looking forward to imminent lineups of, um, chicken fans, along the entire length of the block saying "I was there first!"

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Looks like Jollibee is opening another location...directly above the brand new Starbucks on Cambie and Broadway.

Drove past it last night and the whole street-facing windows on both the Cambie facade and the Broadway facade are now floor-to-ceiling signage announcing the future location.

Looking forward to imminent lineups of, um, chicken fans, along the entire length of the block saying "I was there first!"

Heres’s Every Jollibee Location Set To Open In Metro Vancouver In The Near Future
Quote:
A Jollibee location is coming soon to the Strawberry Hill shopping centre in Surrey.

The location was announced in early 2021, but construction was delayed. It’s unclear exactly when they will finally open.

A second Jollibee location is also in the works for Surrey, this one, in Whalley.

There are signs up at the King George Hub building teasing its opening, but it’s not clear exactly when that will happen.

The proposed location is right next to a Save-On-Foods store in the 9800-block of King George Boulevard.

The second Vancouver location will call the corner of Broadway and Cambie home.

The opening date is still TBA but the address of the location is 510 West Broadway, so keep your eyes peeled for that one.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I'm sure someone's mentioned this before, but Cartier opening what it looks like a 2-storey flagship on Alberni and Burrard, in the old Hermes spot I believe?

From Retail Insider Aug 15 2021:
Quote:
In Vancouver, Cartier confirmed with Retail Insider that the retailer will be opening a new storefront at 755 Burrard Street with frontage onto Alberni Street. Richemont bought the 3,200 square foot commercial strata several years ago and construction on the new Cartier store is expected to begin soon with a store opening expected for 2022. The opening of the corporate store will coincide with the shuttering of the licensed Cartier boutique at 456 Howe Street in the city’s ‘Heritage District’ which has lost most of its luxury stores following a shift to the Alberni Street ‘Luxury Zone’ where Cartier will be relocating.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:20 AM

edited

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:34 AM

...and back to the plastic bag 'debate' - Walmart Canada to eliminate single-use plastic bags

Quote:
Walmart Canada will eliminate single-use plastic shopping bags preventing more than 680 million plastic bags from entering circulation each year.

The changes apply to in-store purchases along with online grocery pickup and delivery orders. The phased approach will see all of Walmart’s more than 400 Canadian locations make the change by end of April 2022.

The national roll-out follows a 10-store pilot that began in August 2021. This successful pilot received overwhelmingly positive feedback from customers and associates and diverted nearly 6 million plastic bags.

Walmart is committed to eliminating unnecessary single-use plastics and has already adopted a series of changes, including:

* Eliminating plastic wrap from organic banana bunches and single peppers, which removes more than 205,000 lbs. of plastic annually

* Increasing post-consumer recycled content in the packaging holding baked goods, avoiding the use of 925,000 lbs. of new plastics annually

* Removing 420,000 lbs. of expanded poly styrene from entering the supply chain annually by introducing new packaging for sausage trays

* Eliminating single-use plastic straws in-store and replacing them with paper alternatives, taking approximately 35 million single-use plastic straws out of circulation annually

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I'm sure someone's mentioned this before, but Cartier opening what it looks like a 2-storey flagship on Alberni and Burrard, in the old Hermes spot I believe? And possibly the 2nd floor was Salaam Bombay? Fact checkers call me out on this if it's inaccurate, I'm too tired to search. But anyways, it's a nice add to the 'hood, for keeping the luxury row thriving. I should have taken a picture because I think it also said something like "Relocating from 456 Howe St.", their current location in that north part of Howe St. near Canada Place. I know some stores have banked on that area, but it doesn't actually seem good for this kind of retail. Luxury retail likes to be around luxury retail, it just works. It's not like McDonalds finding a spot far away from other competitors, luxury retail seems to love the high-end hubs with "competitors" close by, it must be a proven sales-generator for luxury stores to exist in the same area if they do this all over the world. Luxury specific zones exist throughout the world and it appears to be a good strategy for these companies. Very rarely do you see Louis Vuitton or Gucci open in a far away location without any competitors around. They always gravitate to the streets that house their rivals.

Althought I never do (or could) shop at these high end stores myself, it kind of feels good to see these stores flourishing. Whether it is primarily locals or tourists, it doesn't really mattter at this point, either/or is a big sign of confidence. If these stores weren't performing they would be good by now, let alone undergoing big renos. In the last couple of years, Hermes and Tiffany had expansions; new stores for Jimmy Choo, Van Cleef & Arepels, IWC Schaffhausen, and then in the last 5 years you can include Prada, Saint Laurent, Mocler, Brunello Cucinelli, Stefano Ricci. And Gucci is in the old Escada space (which was a loss) temporarily until their Hotel Georgia location reno is completed. The old Escada space is kind of strange, it is very stand-off-ish from the street, it feels like 'effort' to go inside. I know it's subtle and maybe I'm out to lunch, but something about the stairs to go up into this office-lobby space, seems like a no-go for luxury. I think their are smart for keeping their Hotel Vancouver space. But makes me wonder what will go in next when Gucci returns to their old space? Bets anyone?

I have such a geek response to luxury stores. It's like I have no interest in the products, or the image, or the prestige at all, I have no desire for luxury goods. But I am a total urban landscape enthusiast first and foremost, so seeing these areas flourish makes me happy. It adds to the layers of the city, even if most Vancouverites can't afford to shop there, it is a hallmark of major cities to have a thriving international fashion scene. All major metropolioses have international luxury shopping as a mainstay, it's like in human DNA to assign the most prestigious categories for the ones with major stores. Somehow the "online" craze hasn't killed this yet, let's hope it doesn't. I have to tell you, the last few weeks I've taken long walks around the City, especially downtown. There is a noticeable vibrancy that's returned, especially compared to 6+ months ago. It's like night and day, and it makes me soooo happy to see it, it's an odd sense of eurphoria just seeing people out and enjoying themselves again, even if something frivolous. I feel like people are more comfortable spoling themselves now more than ever (even if they can't afford it). Interesting times, I feel hints of what it must have been like in the post-1945 euphoria in countries like America, when it was a fresh start after years of suffering (obviously The Depression and two years of COVID are not direct similiarities, the mood in the aftermath feels similiar
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Vancouver punches way way above its international weight in terms of luxury footprint and for urbanists (or just city geeks/travelers) I think it's something to be celebrated. Most of the other cities in Canada except for Toronto are a far cry from what is on offer here, even accounting for per capita. It's like our own very tiny slice of Rodeo Drive out on Alberni and Thurlow. I love to see it thriving and successful.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:29 AM

the area where Cartier is currently is gaining some pretty fancy high end Furniture shops.

Speaking of Jollibee, I drove past strawberry hill tonight and the site is now being worked on, they are working on the pad still but it's happening.

Octobers Very Own is opening a store in Metropolis.

Last edited by SpongeG; Apr 5, 2022 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post

Is Jollibee still lined up where they are open, or is this just a "opening day" thing?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is Jollibee still lined up where they are open, or is this just a "opening day" thing?
Lines every day

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
...and back to the plastic bag 'debate' - Walmart Canada to eliminate single-use plastic bags
I would assume their pilot was the synthetic fibre bags they charged $0.25 for before the city put in their rules and $1 after (per the city's rules).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:06 AM

Nordstrom Launching TOPSHOP and TOPMAN Brands in Canada Following Hudson’s Bay Exit
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...sons-bay-exit/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 7:34 PM

Uniqlo's expansion project at Metropolis is now almost completed. The store is closed for the next 3 days(Mar. 29 - 31) to make final preparation. The store will reopen on April 1 with the expanded space.
Hopefully the 'cramped space' feeling will be gone.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nordstrom Launching TOPSHOP and TOPMAN Brands in Canada Following Hudson’s Bay Exit
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...sons-bay-exit/
Interesting that Nordstrom is taking on the pain of a failed retailer (Topshop & Topman). I suppose they still see something good in it.

While with Hudson Bay, Topman/Topshop made the worst kinds of mistakes: from retail locations to marketing strategies to clothing price points, etc. One of the worst examples is to leave the "international price tags" showing UK price with the clothing. That would actually turn off potential buyers after they realize what a rip-off it is with the much higher price here in Canada. Quality-wise, merchandise offered is not much better than what you can get in Forever 21, which also faced bankruptcy protection before.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Interesting that Nordstrom is taking on the pain of a failed retailer (Topshop & Topman). I suppose they still see something good in it.

While with Hudson Bay, Topman/Topshop made the worst kinds of mistakes: from retail locations to marketing strategies to clothing price points, etc. One of the worst examples is to leave the "international price tags" showing UK price with the clothing. That would actually turn off potential buyers after they realize what a rip-off it is with the much higher price here in Canada. Quality-wise, merchandise offered is not much better than what you can get in Forever 21, which also faced bankruptcy protection before.
Nordstrom is the licensee for TopShop and TopMan in the US so they must have sales figures on which to base their expansion of the brand into Canada.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nordstrom is the licensee for TopShop and TopMan in the US so they must have sales figures on which to base their expansion of the brand into Canada.
It has been in the stores for some time but they would only give it a small footprint in their strores (at least in the seattle area).

I could see them not putting it in the Vancouver store since they probably get a far higher sales per square foot given the high volume of luxury brands but could see it in the Calgary store which is more middle of the road.

Top Shop/Man tries to take on the high end image and maybe being in nordstrom may help that. The bay's retail environment is just drab, I can't believe they are ok with the condition of many of their stores.

Was recently in the West Van location, half the shelves were empty, the ceiling tiles were disgusting and there was hand written cut in half avery labels marking some shelves and their sizing. I just can't see the bay surviving as they are doing a very good job of absolutely killing the bay brand.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 9:08 PM
life in the present

Little Burgundy and Miniso have vacated their 1000 block Robson locations.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 9:59 PM

The listings on loopnet are gone so maybe someone took the space?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 9:15 AM

Looks like at least one of the CRUs is becoming Athleta, an activewear brand owned by Gap: https://www.gapinc.com/en-ca/jobs/w1...reet-new-store

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 11:57 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Looks like at least one of the CRUs is becoming Athleta, an activewear brand owned by Gap: https://www.gapinc.com/en-ca/jobs/w1...reet-new-store
Interesting thanks! My guess is they took both CRUs judging by the size of their Park Royal location. Good strategy, less than 1/2 block from Lulu flagship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy