HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:26 PM

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the highrise thread, but this permit is interesting:

Quote:
ZP-2023-005244
May 17, 2023
618-34 MARKET ST, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2355 618 MARKET LP 1

CHANGING FROM A RETAIL/OFFICE SPACE TO GREYHOUND BUS TICKET SALES OFFICE.
Is the current bus terminal supposed to be included in the proposed Sixers arena, or is the parcel under a different ownership group? Either way, this could be a sign of big things to come.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:29 PM
Chris

Naked Philly update on the Dilworth House condo project.

Tower Crane Over Washington Square Signals Construction at Dilworth House
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ilworth-house/

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
What is this a echo dome?

That is what I think of every time people put bikes above everything else, its insane.

Yes bikes are good, bikes are useful, bikes have been around for a longtime.

Im just confused on how you think families can get around on bikes, ohh I k now you want them to use cargo, and trailer bikes like the picture above.

Please stop, Ive said it already, SIDEWALK IMPROVEMENTS are wayyy more important in majority of neighborhoods.
That picture is ridiculous and that person is wrong. No one is seriously suggesting that. Although people did move around before 1930 so I question your premise. Anyways, the point is about having a real choice in your mode of transportation. I like to max my IRA contribution with the money I would have spent on a car each year and get around on an e bike. It’s a real mode of transportation that works great. I’m just saying we should take that mode of transportation as seriously as we do others. 10 bikers have been killed in Philly this year. As a proportion of riders that’s pretty high.

Also, this is just wrong. People in Europe travel as a family on bikes all the time. We just don’t generally in America. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
The minute you realize that you or any progressive stops saying this, we would like you way more.

Please stop saying this it is a complete eye roller.

Again we keep explaining to you that Bike lanes are not a priority in most neighborhoods, and there are way more important things such as Crime, Schools, Sidewalk improvements & repairing/building homes.

You sound so out of touch with reality it's amazing. it's almost like you wake up every day, and go read Huff Post & 5th Square.
My man, what are you talking about? Nothing they said in that statement was inaccurate. Where did anyone say those other issues don’t matter? I’m not white, I’m not a liberal, and bike lanes matter to me because I’d rather not die in a crash when a dump truck merges into me without looking. How exactly does that make me out of touch?

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
You've been dropping truth bombs but this one is a stretch. A lot of folks would have loved to see Nutter come back. And he was in Rhynhart's TV adds.
Its not a stretch, Rynnhart walked a fine line with Nutter. She faced questions in debates about whether or not she would be Nutter 2.0 and she took a lot of flak for the library closures which happened, although she clarified that was his call, not hers. In a few debates she made it clear she would be a very different mayor and did not align with him on everything, she was just glad that a former mayor validated that she was prepared on day one. I'm not sure if you saw the Philadelphia Citizen interview with Nutter and Gym but it got downright contentious and she basically said his record was questionable and his policies should be left in the past where they belong.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the highrise thread, but this permit is interesting:

Is the current bus terminal supposed to be included in the proposed Sixers arena, or is the parcel under a different ownership group? Either way, this could be a sign of big things to come.
I guess no more 30th street bus terminal? It would be nice if they can get the Flixbus to also use this garage I assume buses will use the garage as the terminal?

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I'm not sure if you saw the Philadelphia Citizen interview with Nutter and Gym but it got downright contentious and she basically said his record was questionable and his policies should be left in the past where they belong.
Yeah I saw that. And that sentiment clearly didn't carry the day, did it?

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:08 PM

Winter 2023 in Philadelphia - my new photo thread. Check it out!

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...00#post9946700

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franks View Post
Hopefully Parker will be good for the city. I knew that Philly was heavily slanted towards the Dems, but I didn't realize how much. After this election I am going to change my registration to the Dems so I can vote in the damn primary.
Curious who you would have voted for. My assumption is that center-right republicans-registered-as-democrats voted for Domb (along with some center-left Dems) while trumpy republicans-registered-as-democrats voted for Brown.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:18 PM

Quote:

That location is already a Flix Bus stop, Flix Bus owns Greyhound. This may just be adding a ticket sales office at the existing stop.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
As opposed to Rhynhart's support which maps exactly onto the already gentrified parts of the city.
I think you missed the point on this. The amusing(?) part is that Gym was the anti-gentrification candidate and a large percentage of her votes likely came from the gentrifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Alright... I think it's time to move on as the thread is devolving. Let's get back to development. The primary is over...
It was last night. FFS, let people have a conversation. : P

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
The minute you realize that you or any progressive stops saying this, we would like you way more.

Please stop saying this it is a complete eye roller.

Again we keep explaining to you that Bike lanes are not a priority in most neighborhoods, and there are way more important things such as Crime, Schools, Sidewalk improvements & repairing/building homes.

You sound so out of touch with reality it's amazing. it's almost like you wake up every day, and go read Huff Post & 5th Square.
It's one thing to (rightfully, I think) point out that bike lanes are viewed either as a very low priority or a net negative by a majority of voters in the city. It's another thing to be insulting to someone who is attempting to explain to you (rightfully so) why and how they would benefit poorer areas.

Maybe spend some time looking into how bike lanes improve safety for everyone while also reducing congestion for those who need to or choose to drive and if you're unwilling to do that maybe just try not to be an asshole.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I think you missed the point on this. The amusing(?) part is that Gym was the anti-gentrification candidate and a large percentage of her votes likely came from the gentrifiers.

It was last night. FFS, let people have a conversation. : P
Yeah it just struck me how exact it was. Like 100% correlation. Considering she’s the anti-gentrification candidate it just made me laugh. If people want to move on, we can. Just wanted to point it out after I noticed it last night.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:15 PM

Quote:

Holy $hit balls.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:

Nvm I literally wasn't reading. What the hell though haha. We really are just going for it then?

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:49 PM

Has Parker stated her position on the Sixers arena?

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
She was for it IIRC.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
"As the poorest big city in the nation, Philadelphia doesn't have the luxury of engaging in reflexive opposition to any project that has the potential to offer a game-changing economic impact, especially for Black and Brown workers and businesses. However, we still have not seen a full plan that shows the economic impact of the arena and we will continue to hear from the residents in the neighborhood who have a right to have a say in what land use takes place in their community. As Mayor, I look forward to having all of the information and bringing all sides to the table to come to the conclusion that is right for Philadelphia, Market East, and all of the surrounding communities."

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Yeah it just struck me how exact it was. Like 100% correlation. Considering she’s the anti-gentrification candidate it just made me laugh. If people want to move on, we can. Just wanted to point it out after I noticed it last night.
As I said earlier, they may have a few blind spots. I do think they struggle to understand sometimes why their priorities are not more widely-shared and tend to get pushback. Bike lanes are very commonly associated with gentrification. So is dog ownership. So is brunch. So are beer gardens. All things enjoyed by many 30 year olds who consider themselves progressive, but longtime residents don't necessarily view change as being for them, and can resent being told that this or that new way of doing things is a better way to live. They don't necessarily want bike lanes, or dog parks, or new brunch spots, or pop-up beer gardens, and dismissing their concerns - i.e. why would we need to study bike lanes, let's just make more of them, they're better for everyone - is not helpful, even if those concerns are ultimately unfounded.

Quote:
It's one thing to (rightfully, I think) point out that bike lanes are viewed either as a very low priority or a net negative by a majority of voters in the city. It's another thing to be insulting to someone who is attempting to explain to you (rightfully so) why and how they would benefit poorer areas.

Maybe spend some time looking into how bike lanes improve safety for everyone while also reducing congestion for those who need to or choose to drive and if you're unwilling to do that maybe just try not to be an asshole.
While I agree that Tony can be a bit over the top on this (and a few other things), I believe he's from that community, his take on this aligns with what my understanding of the general sentiment is of that community (especially among it's older members), and frankly the bike-splaining going on hasn't been a great look coming from progressives concerned with equity.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Holy $hit balls.
I don’t understand. What would this mean? Greyhound is moving to a new location so the arena is looking like a go?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development