HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 7:02 PM
TL;DR

I like the wayfinding signs. Reminds me of BWI.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 7:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like the wayfinding signs. Reminds me of BWI.
I hope they are sprucing up the baggage claim area too. That is just unacceptable as it currently stands.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 9:29 PM
TL;DR

^ Agreed. The main problem with the baggage claim, from my opinion, is the low ceilings. I'm not sure they can do anything about that, but removing the ugly stained acoustical tiles and exposing the ducts would definitely help. It also needs a better, more even lighting system with a whiter light... it's very dingy/jaundiced-looking down there.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 10:02 PM

I agree, and hopefully the removal of the rental car offices/kiosks will add to the perception of space.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:29 AM

From what I've read...the baggage claim area is in the list of current projects. I think it's Terminal Renovation Phase 3. The consolidation plan in the article is Termainal Renovation Phase 4. Phases 1, 2, and 3 are all under construction at this time. There isn't much you can do about the low ceilings in the baggage claim area, but the plan is to spruce it up substantially.

I remember reading the airport report from the director about consolidation last year, but did not think he'd push for it to be done before the Super Bowl. This is great to hear that will be done in the next 2 years. Having the concourses connected and all services behind security will really modernize the airport. Additionally...with the current trend of consolidation in the airline industry (Delta/Northwest), (US Air, America West), (United/Continental), and most recently (Southwest/Airtran)...there will be a need for fewer gates with much greater utilization. It's really a win-win for the passenger and the airlines due to lower landing fees.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:40 PM

NOLA.com comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Honestly, I suggest to avoid reading NOLA.com comments for your own sanity. There is so much vitriol and misinformed opinions. These developments are not "projects". Also, many of those that qualify for these non market rates apartments are the cities first responders (i.e. teachers, firefighters. police officers, EMS etc)
The honest reason I read them is to feel better about myself...if there are enough people that dumb in the world, surely I can count myself somewhere in the smarter group.

Good timing that my friend sent me this today: http://nolacommentwatch.blogspot.com/

Looks pretty funny.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
The honest reason I read them is to feel better about myself...if there are enough people that dumb in the world, surely I can count myself somewhere in the smarter group.

Good timing that my friend sent me this today: http://nolacommentwatch.blogspot.com/

Looks pretty funny.
I know what you mean about the ego boost, I just cant understand people that spend their whole day bitching. At least, if you have a problem try doing something constructive to change the situation.

Good news on the retail front for Mid City;

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/i...420.xml&coll=1

Glad to see Winn Dixie plans to build a more upscale store than their normal ones.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I know what you mean about the ego boost, I just cant understand people that spend their whole day bitching. At least, if you have a problem try doing something constructive to change the situation.

Good news on the retail front for Mid City;

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/i...420.xml&coll=1

Glad to see Winn Dixie plans to build a more upscale store than their normal ones.

Pictures:

This is the present state of the planned WinnDixie

Link

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:01 AM

The Woodward project across from the new VA now has a sign up "2222 Tulane Apartments". Looks like its HRI properties, I think 60 units.

http://www.novoco.com/low_income_hou...s_draft_09.pdf

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:08 AM

Mid-City homes moved to make way for new hospital complex

State and city contractors are nearing completion of site preparation for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs medical complex projected to open in 2014.

Nearly 70 houses have been moved from the future VA site to other Mid-City parcels.

With the adjacent state teaching hospital site, the two footprints cover more than 70 acres, enough land to hold at least five Louisiana Superdomes.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:49 AM

Really good news/update on streetcar expansion on rampart and into the marigny!

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ng_rampar.html

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by N.O.L.A.; Jan 25, 2011 at 4:52 AM. Reason: adding picture

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:41 AM
-

Really great quality photos SGUIL...

Glad to see they are prioritizing the French Quarter Marigny line over the Convention Center Loop. I never quite understood that one. I think connecting Loyola to Lee circle will be critical as well. Also, a line to the lakefront would be fantastic.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 25, 2011 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
Really good news/update on streetcar expansion on rampart and into the marigny!

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ng_rampar.html
I actually think the photo is wrong, from what I understand the Basin Street section is no longer part of the plan. The line will start at Canal and continue down Rampart on both sides of the neutral ground in both directions, never touching Basin Street. This seems to be a picture of the older proposal that has since been changed.

Why it was changed, I'm not sure. I guess too many people were asking why the Basin Street section was necessary.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:16 AM

Great to hear the Rampart/St. Claude line is moving forward. Will be huge for the residents of Marigny/Bywater area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I actually think the photo is wrong, from what I understand the Basin Street section is no longer part of the plan. The line will start at Canal and continue down Rampart on both sides of the neutral ground in both directions, never touching Basin Street. This seems to be a picture of the older proposal that has since been changed.

Why it was changed, I'm not sure. I guess too many people were asking why the Basin Street section was necessary.
The track spurs for Basin and Rampart are already in the ground waiting to be extended. I always assumed this was done due to lack a lack of space for a rail junction at the Rampart intersection since you would have to have two spurs in one spot. Next time you're on Canal St, notice the switches at Basin and Rampart.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 8:49 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
The track spurs for Basin and Rampart are already in the ground waiting to be extended. I always assumed this was done due to lack a lack of space for a rail junction at the Rampart intersection since you would have to have two spurs in one spot. Next time you're on Canal St, notice the switches at Basin and Rampart.
Those were built when they built the Canal line, to tie into the planned Desire line which would be built later. This time around, though, NORTA wants to run service from Loyola to Rampart/St. Claude across Canal Street.

My guess is that they'll eliminate the section on Rampart, and both directions will switch over from Rampart to Basin at Toulouse. They'll have to rip out and replace the turnouts they installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Conceptual Engineering Study
The alignment split between Basin and N. Rampart Streets between Canal and Toulouse Streets
is a legacy of the LPA selected for an earlier study of rail transit in this corridor. At the time it
was selected for this study, the operations plan did not envision operation of service across Canal
Street. If the operations plan goes forward as currently proposed and/or to allow maximum
flexibility in the future, the alignment as it crosses Canal Street must be reconsidered to eliminate
the dogleg on Canal Street for upbound travel and, more importantly, to correct the alignment for
downbound travel. The current alignments would require streetcars to weave from the left lane
of Elks Place to the right lane of basin Street in approximately 168 feet, the distance between the
farther sides of the crosswalks on either side of Canal Street.
Instead of the Convention Center Line, they should extend the existing Riverfront line up to Jackson and then over to St. Charles. That would allow for people to get from Uptown to the River Garden/Power Plant area, and the convention center.

Oh, and if the St. Claude line is extended, they should simply put the thing on a damn overpass. St Claude would remain at-grade. It wouldn't be more than $20 million for a small overpass like that, especially since streetcars weigh a lot less than trucks, so the overpass wouldn't be terribly beefy. A wooden trestle would fit nicely into the neighborhood, I think - it could be painted in bright colors.

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:13 PM

Will the medical complex fill the entire lot? What is the height like of these different buildings?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:42 PM

Streetlights and Streetscape Projects

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ast_shado.html

What $1.8 million "tree-lined circle" are they referring to on South Claiborne Ave?

There are no existing traffic circles and I'm unaware of them planning to build one...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oh, and if the St. Claude line is extended, they should simply put the thing on a damn overpass. St Claude would remain at-grade. It wouldn't be more than $20 million for a small overpass like that, especially since streetcars weigh a lot less than trucks, so the overpass wouldn't be terribly beefy. A wooden trestle would fit nicely into the neighborhood, I think - it could be painted in bright colors.
That would be a long overpass and it would have to be higher and made of steel where it crosses the railroad tracks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
Will the medical complex fill the entire lot? What is the height like of these different buildings?
I think it will fill most of the lot without much surface parking. Here is a rendering looking from Canal back towards Tulane. I think the tallest building is probably 6 stories or so, seen in the second rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations