HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Regina has never had much for historic buildings considering most were just wood frame things built on a bald open prairie. We seem to have kept most of the grander older ones anyway other than old city hall but progress is normal. Downtown actually has quite a few older buildings still being used so I really don't understand the consternation over this one that has zero historical significance.
I agree that Regina has preserved many nice historic buildings. Many more than Saskatoon or per capita, Calgary or Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:53 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Regina has never had much for historic buildings considering most were just wood frame things built on a bald open prairie. We seem to have kept most of the grander older ones anyway other than old city hall but progress is normal. Downtown actually has quite a few older buildings still being used so I really don't understand the consternation over this one that has zero historical significance.
I think the frustration (for met at least) is that buildings keep coming down and none ever go up.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I think the frustration (for met at least) is that buildings keep coming down and none ever go up.
Parking lot next directly south of the Delta Hotel really makes me mad. It was approved for demolition as construction parking during the Agriculture Place tower build and now, parking lot years later. Great job, Harvard Developments.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Parking lot next directly south of the Delta Hotel really makes me mad. It was approved for demolition as construction parking during the Agriculture Place tower build and now, parking lot years later. Great job, Harvard Developments.
I don't think Harvard owns it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I don't think Harvard owns it.
I believe they requested to use it which sped up the process.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:56 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Yeah, Harvard doesn't own the site but they did use the site for parking during construction of Agricultural Place.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 6:07 PM

Yep, 1755 Hamilton was demolished in 2012, "temporary" lot granted in March 2013. It's been a long time. The lot is owned by Westland Ventures (Regina property management company).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Yep, 1755 Hamilton was demolished in 2012, "temporary" lot granted in March 2013. It's been a long time. The lot is owned by Westland Ventures (Regina property management company).

https://prairiedogmag.com/people-used-to-live-here/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 9:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Our city claims they are going to solve homelessness but they allow this shit to happen. Pathetic. Grow some balls, expropriate underused properties, and give people who need them, homes. When it comes to the economy, nothing gets in the way of government buying up properties, for the “greater good”. When it comes to saving lives and ending human suffering, all of a sudden they worry about the rights of the ownership class. Homelessness, poverty, hunger, and high addiction rates will not go away until we start putting people before profits. If anyone claims to want to solve these entirely-solvable issues, it’s going to take bold, not at all radical measures.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 18, 2022 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Our city claims they are going to solve homelessness but they allow this shit to happen. Pathetic. Grow some balls, expropriate underused properties, and give people who need them, homes. When it comes to the economy, nothing gets in the way of government buying up properties, for the “greater good”. When it comes to saving lives and ending human suffering, all of a sudden they worry about the rights of the ownership class. Homelessness, poverty, hunger, and high addiction rates will not go away until we start putting people before profits. If anyone claims to want to solve these entirely-solvable issues, it’s going to take bold, not at all radical measures.
The Provincial government has hundreds of empty low-cost homes in Regina. They need to spend the money necessary to bring them up to living standards.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 5:34 AM

State housing has massively diminished since the 1970s, to the great detriment of us all. The ignorant will immediately say things like "communism!", but it's widely used in Europe, the US, etc. Just raise a bunch of apartment buildings for low-income and mid-income housing. Charge below-market rates based on income, but fund it through tax dollars. Everyone in society benefits.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
State housing has massively diminished since the 1970s, to the great detriment of us all. The ignorant will immediately say things like "communism!", but it's widely used in Europe, the US, etc. Just raise a bunch of apartment buildings for low-income and mid-income housing. Charge below-market rates based on income, but fund it through tax dollars. Everyone in society benefits.
Agreed, with you and UPP. I grew up in public housing so I can speak intimately about how beneficial it was to me.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:32 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...gina-1.6493680
The $26-million storage system being built in Regina will be the first of its kind in Saskatchewan.

Beliveau says this type of energy harnessing is still fairly new to Canada.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...gina-1.6493680
The $26-million storage system being built in Regina will be the first of its kind in Saskatchewan.

Beliveau says this type of energy harnessing is still fairly new to Canada.
That’s pretty cool. Hopefully it’s useful. I wonder why solar wasn’t talked about much, particularly the new solar farm going up east of the city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
That’s pretty cool. Hopefully it’s useful. I wonder why solar wasn’t talked about much, particularly the new solar farm going up east of the city.
They mention solar. This will be right beside the new solar farm, but it really does not matter where the charging power comes from just that it is available at peak usage times. There is at least 100x more wind power than solar right now.

They do not indicate the cost, but I imagine it is costly.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:34 AM

20 megawatt hours (20,000 kWh) would be the equivalent of 244 Tesla Model Y vehicles @ 82 kWh each. Once electric vehicles make up a sizeable portion of the global fleet that's going to be a huge potential distributed battery network. With intelligent charging they could soak up excess renewable energy production even if they are just plugged into regular outlets.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
20 megawatt hours (20,000 kWh) would be the equivalent of 244 Tesla Model Y vehicles @ 82 kWh each. Once electric vehicles make up a sizeable portion of the global fleet that's going to be a huge potential distributed battery network. With intelligent charging they could soak up excess renewable energy production even if they are just plugged into regular outlets.
That's not going to happen though (in terms of it being a distributed battery network for the grid), as the entire premise would be that those vehicles then feed electricity back into the grid. People won't accept that they go to bed with 100% charge and then leave for work with 70% charge.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's not going to happen though (in terms of it being a distributed battery network for the grid), as the entire premise would be that those vehicles then feed electricity back into the grid. People won't accept that they go to bed with 100% charge and then leave for work with 70% charge.
It also won't happen if it's left to the free market, or Elon Musk, to lead the way.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:23 PM

Realistically I don't think Tesla will be in any dominant position in 5-10 years, anyway. Now that the major companies are ramping up their EV offerings, Tesla is likely going to fall back quite a ways. Yes, their cars are generally nice (though with many quality control issues), and they have pushed the tech and conversation forward...but if you can get a Toyota EV for 1/3 the price of a Tesla, then the Toyota is going to be more popular.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Realistically I don't think Tesla will be in any dominant position in 5-10 years, anyway. Now that the major companies are ramping up their EV offerings, Tesla is likely going to fall back quite a ways. Yes, their cars are generally nice (though with many quality control issues), and they have pushed the tech and conversation forward...but if you can get a Toyota EV for 1/3 the price of a Tesla, then the Toyota is going to be more popular.
Ya, that is the likely result. With the sheer amount of Musk's wealth being tied to the highly-inflated value of Tesla stock (especially when you compare to the market caps of Ford, GM, etc), it will be interesting to see what he tries to do to maintain that (which his recent attempt at buying Twitter didn't help, showing how he is not a remarkable genius). Can't wait for him to be knocked down a peg. Anyways, I'm getting off-topic

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan