HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Debbie Downer lol. A lot of these are targeting critical needs in Winnipeg's homelessness situation.
Oh, I'm aware. I'm a donor to non-market housing projects in my region. I know that these projects play a critical role in housing certain high-needs demographics.

But the broader problem we face is that middle income and heck even upper middle income families can't afford housing anymore. Social housing is great for the bottom 10% (it's absolutely critical for them) but what about everyone not in the bottom 10% that still can't afford market housing (which is basically the majority of the population at this point). You're not going to do this one-off building-by-building projects to build the some 4 million housing units we'll need by 2031 at current growth rates.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Oh, I'm aware. I'm a donor to non-market housing projects in my region. I know that these projects play a critical role in housing certain high-needs demographics.

But the broader problem we face is that middle income and heck even upper middle income families can't afford housing anymore. Social housing is great for the bottom 10% (it's absolutely critical for them) but what about everyone not in the bottom 10% that still can't afford market housing (which is basically the majority of the population at this point). You're not going to do this one-off building-by-building projects to build the some 4 million housing units we'll need by 2031 at current growth rates.
I think you're applying GTA thinking to my post about Winnipeg. The middle and upper middle class generally still have no problems finding housing here. I myself am solidly middle class and bought a nice 3 bed 1.5 bath last year for 300,000. What Winnipeg needs is to alleviate social woes due to history and geography and to keep the ball rolling on densification to alleviate our financial crunch(although its already one of the denser major cities in Canada). These kinds of projects help.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Debbie Downer lol. A lot of these are targeting critical needs in Winnipeg's homelessness situation.
I don't think he's being Debbie Downer but simply being realistic. I don't think anyone is doubting our need for affordable housing particularly for those in certain marginalized and high need groups like First Nations, people with disabilities, mental health, and addiction issues. The problem is that this is such a tiny amount in relation to our population explosion that by the time these units are built, so many new people will need this kind of housing that wait list to get in will be bigger than it is now. Such plans are good ones and badly needed but are mere drops in the bucket when solving our housing crisis. The reality is that the lack of affordable housing goes hand-in-hand with the price of real estate and ours in out of control.

Cities with the highest rental rates and lack of accommodation in general are always, without exception, the one's with the highest real estate prices. This is due to the fact that hundreds of thousands who could afford to buy homes if the prices weren't so high are stuck renting. This means more competition for those few rental spots and upward pressure on the rental rates. Until real estate prices come down significantly and inventory soars, any input from the gov't is just throwing cups of water on a forest fire.

The only way we are going to solve our housing crisis is by doing 2 things: 1} A huge increase in SUPPLY of housing using factory produced modular housing. 2} A huge reduction in DEMAND by bringing our immigration levels down to one-tenth what they are now until we are out of this crisis.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:22 PM

Circling back a bit to the code issue (this came up in the Federal Politics thread, and I don't want to derail it lol so I'm posting here)...

On that post, I came up with an idea to fix the building codes, a two step plan. This is Ontario-specific but I don't think codes vary much from province to province so the basic principle should largely apply everywhere.

The first step, which can implemented with near-immediate effect, is to temporarily legalize the use of the 1999 Ontario Building Code in new housing construction; effectively rolling back Ontario's building codes to that level. This is a stopgap measure to immediately cut construction costs. The permanent measure would to be revise the process for updating building codes to include a much more comprehensive cost-benefit analysis for codes so that construction cost is a greater factor. The aim being that a permanent, brand new, cost-effective building code can be prepared within 3-4 years. Once that new code is ready, the temporary rule allowing the 1999 code would be eliminated.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:32 PM

Reducing the cost of construction is absolutely critical. We're at the point where once you consider land costs, permit fees, development charges, actual construction costs with the codes we have, taxes, etc... it costs like $600k to build a new housing unit in most markets. That's a big problem. It means that the minimum cost just to build a new housing unit is far above the public's ability to afford it.

In a country with zero population growth that's not much of a problem, because the existing housing stock can sell for less than new construction costs and can meet ongoing demand from new homebuyers. But when the population is growing this doesn't work. The slower rate of population growth and the legacy of having slower growth in decades past is the reason why places like Winnipeg and the Maritimes have affordable housing, to FactaNV's point.

But with hundreds of thousands of additional units needed just to meet current demand, let alone demand from future growth, we need to find a way to make new units affordable to people. And that means having to cut construction costs. If the price of housing falls below construction costs, people will stop building. So demand-oriented measures (cutting immigration, clamping down on speculation) and supply-oriented measures (more workers, more lenient zoning) are basically useless if there's no reduction in that actual cost to build a unit.

Hence where the code changes are needed. Another one is reducing/eliminating municipal development charges (a huge problem in Ontario cities). Both measures will lower the cost of new construction by quite a bit, bringing that "floor" beyond which prices cannot fall any further, to a level closer to what people can afford.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:35 PM

I'd argue that the Housing Bubble (to circle all the way back to the title of the thread!) is part of the reason why our codes & development fees got so out of hand in the first place. With the average cost of a housing unit steadily rising past inflation for decades now, there was a lot of "slack" in the construction industry that allowed them to absorb more costs as the market price of the end product kept rising. So higher fees and more expensive codes didn't really matter much.

In a world where we didn't have a growing housing bubble, cities would not have been able to balloon development charges as they did, and provinces would have had to pay more attention to cost-benefit ratios when writing building codes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 10:53 AM
sick transit, gloria

Regulation goes both ways and finding a balance is key. Obviously Building Codes are a Good Thing, but having worked on Ontario's code in the past it's also true that it's become quite an unwieldly document. Things get added in all the time that aren't necessarily complimentary to existing provisions. I wouldn't be in favour of simply turning back the clock as this would also lock out certain alternate solutions and permissions that have come into place. However you could possibly allow both versions to operate in tandem for small-scale construction while conducting a comprehensive review to simplify things / reduce costs while maintaining an acceptable level of safety .

I wouldn't say that those involved in crafting the Code are blind to costs, but there are also external pressures from lobbyist groups (Fire, for instance) that have a lot of influence. See the watering down of the initial 6 storey wood provisions in Ontario to require non-combustible stairwells (not just 1.5 hr fire resistant) despite reams of evidence we could be more permissive in terms of materials while maintaining very acceptable levels of safety. As noted in the Federal thread industry is involved but large groups don't necessarily care about the costs - particularly when coupled with other economic factors that basically mean there will be demand regardless of end cost. These things work in tandem.

A concrete example of necessary safety through regulation while also suffering unintended consequences would be the introduction of mandatory sprinklers in LTC homes in Quebec in 2014, something that's been required in Ontario since 1998. This previously wasn't a requirement as many smaller ones fell under residential sections of the Code (it's been a while so I don't remember all the specifics). A big fire in Quebec resulted in 32 deaths, and there were a number of other close calls that didn't receive as much press. The Code was changed, however funding for retrofitting buildings hasn't been sufficient in many cases, resulting in closures. We obviously don't want unsafe LTC homes but the process should have been handled much better. Some buildings do require a certain level of safety, while others - particularly smaller-scale construction - do not. And some safety features are more important than others - non-combustible cladding on large residential buildings doesn't add a huge amount of cost but as has been seen from examples elsewhere in the world a very worthwhile investment (we've also required it for a long time).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 11:07 AM

An example of the building code making housing more expensive is the two stairway rule in highrise buildings. This essentially allows only one model (a central hallway with two stairwells) which means it is almost impossible to put a multi-bedroom unit in anything but a corner (e.g. a 3 bedroom unit requires almost 40 feet of exterior wall). In most of the world it is possible to build a unit that crosses both sides of the building and is accessed from a central elevator/stairwell, meaning the square footage of a 3 bedroom unit is much smaller.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 11:28 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
An example of the building code making housing more expensive is the two stairway rule in highrise buildings. This essentially allows only one model (a central hallway with two stairwells) which means it is almost impossible to put a multi-bedroom unit in anything but a corner (e.g. a 3 bedroom unit requires almost 40 feet of exterior wall). In most of the world it is possible to build a unit that crosses both sides of the building and is accessed from a central elevator/stairwell, meaning the square footage of a 3 bedroom unit is much smaller.
IIRC almost all places require two staircases for buildings over a certain height. The UK for instance just changed the requirement from 30m down to 18m, but Germany is fine with one staircase up to 60m. In taller highrises these are usually part of the building core flanking the elevator shafts, so you can have units that cross both sides of the building. It's not much of an issue in these cases.

Problem is Canada treats a 90 storey building essentially the same as a 6 storey one, requiring two staircases for basically any multi-unit building. Removing the requirement for midrise buildings would go a long way in making this type of construction viable, particularly on small infill sites as opposed to the currently preferred large-scale block long land assembly. I see that BC recently did this for 6 storeys and under (which would mirror NYC and some other US jurisdictions) but not sure the specifics.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Another similar cost burden of our building code is elevator sizes. Due to the enormous footprint of elevators mandated in North American construction, they cost at least 3x-4x more than European new builds, which is significant. Means the difference between spending $50K in Europe versus $150K+ in Canada for an elevator.

American Elevators Are 3x as Expensive as European Elevators...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuY0ck3xXSY

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Regulation goes both ways and finding a balance is key. Obviously Building Codes are a Good Thing, but having worked on Ontario's code in the past it's also true that it's become quite an unwieldly document. Things get added in all the time that aren't necessarily complimentary to existing provisions. I wouldn't be in favour of simply turning back the clock as this would also lock out certain alternate solutions and permissions that have come into place. However you could possibly allow both versions to operate in tandem for small-scale construction while conducting a comprehensive review to simplify things / reduce costs while maintaining an acceptable level of safety.
Good point - forcing everyone to use the 1999 OBC could create some unintended consequences. Temporarily allowing it as an alternative is a better idea.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that those involved in crafting the Code are blind to costs, but there are also external pressures from lobbyist groups (Fire, for instance) that have a lot of influence. See the watering down of the initial 6 storey wood provisions in Ontario to require non-combustible stairwells (not just 1.5 hr fire resistant) despite reams of evidence we could be more permissive in terms of materials while maintaining very acceptable levels of safety. As noted in the Federal thread industry is involved but large groups don't necessarily care about the costs - particularly when coupled with other economic factors that basically mean there will be demand regardless of end cost. These things work in tandem.

A concrete example of necessary safety through regulation while also suffering unintended consequences would be the introduction of mandatory sprinklers in LTC homes in Quebec in 2014, something that's been required in Ontario since 1998. This previously wasn't a requirement as many smaller ones fell under residential sections of the Code (it's been a while so I don't remember all the specifics). A big fire in Quebec resulted in 32 deaths, and there were a number of other close calls that didn't receive as much press. The Code was changed, however funding for retrofitting buildings hasn't been sufficient in many cases, resulting in closures. We obviously don't want unsafe LTC homes but the process should have been handled much better. Some buildings do require a certain level of safety, while others - particularly smaller-scale construction - do not. And some safety features are more important than others - non-combustible cladding on large residential buildings doesn't add a huge amount of cost but as has been seen from examples elsewhere in the world a very worthwhile investment (we've also required it for a long time).
To me the process should be transparent, and empirical and the cost-benefit analysis should be documented in a reference book. Ideally, I could go through the whole OBC, and for every clause I find, I could go to the reference book and it would explain why that parameter was set, with a quantification of the costs & benefits of the parameter in a range of different scenarios.

Requiring this sort of analysis would deal with these sorts of scenarios where lobbyists got extra rules tacked on without clear benefits/necessity.

This is an example of a governance issue where AI of all things could actually really help, because you could use AI modelling to do all these calculations (which would otherwise be very time consuming).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 12:39 PM

Given the small amount of space a staircase takes up in a building, I don't think it is a major contributor to the housing shortage. Some youtuber from Vancouver posted a video about this 2 years ago and a lot of people have bought into it. A staircase takes up about 200 sqft per floor, if that, barely anything. We need to go after the real causes (artifically low rates, poor land use policies, municipal bureaucracy), not staircases.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
Given the small amount of space a staircase takes up in a building, I don't think it is a major contributor to the housing shortage. Some youtuber from Vancouver posted a video about this 2 years ago and a lot of people have bought into it. A staircase takes up about 200 sqft per floor, if that, barely anything. We need to go after the real causes (artifically low rates, poor land use policies, municipal bureaucracy), not staircases.
I don't think it is the actual space of the staircase, it is the requirement of the 2nd staircase that requires that a non-corner 3 bedroom apartment (for example) be in the 1200 sq ft range (with a corresponding price tag) rather than in the 900 square foot range.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 12:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Given the small amount of space a staircase takes up in a building, I don't think it is a major contributor to the housing shortage. Some youtuber from Vancouver posted a video about this 2 years ago and a lot of people have bought into it. A staircase takes up maybe 200 sqft per floor, if that, barely anything. Claiming that requiring an additional staircase is a major contributor to the housing shortage is assinine, and a great deflection from the real culprits (artifically low rates, poor land use policies, municipal bureaucracy).
Nobody is claiming it's a major contributor to the overall housing shortage? It is however a significant barrier for specific types of projects - specifically small footprint midrise. The type of project that has been supported as an alternative to highrises yet proven cost prohibitive in many areas. This has been raised by many industry groups for years and not just some guy from Vancouver on youtube.

Of course in of itself it won't solve the issue - development charges / fees are a major contributor. But it goes alongside a plethora of "small" things that can help out specific types of construction that should be done concurrently. There's no one panacea for all of our issues, no matter how much some want there to be.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Nobody is claiming it's a major contributor to the overall housing shortage? It is however a significant barrier for specific types of projects - specifically small footprint midrise. The type of project that has been supported as an alternative to highrises yet proven cost prohibitive in many areas. This has been raised by many industry groups for years and not just some guy from Vancouver on youtube.

Of course in of itself it won't solve the issue - development charges / fees are a major contributor. But it goes alongside a plethora of "small" things that can help out specific types of construction that should be done concurrently. There's no one panacea for all of our issues, no matter how much some want there to be.
Agreed - the housing crisis is a classic "confluence of many things" problem. It will similarly take many things to fix it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
There is a reason why Montreal has sooooo many buildings with outdoor staircases, despite being one of the snowiest major cities in the world.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 3:01 PM

My point was that on the list of contributing factors to the housing bubble, requiring a second stairwell for building 6 storeys or taller is close to the bottom of that list. Let's not let it distract is from the low-hanging fruit - bureaucracy, land-use policies and population growth.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
My point was that on the list of contributing factors to the housing bubble, requiring a second stairwell for building 6 storeys or taller is close to the bottom of that list. Let's not let it distract is from the low-hanging fruit - bureaucracy, land-use policies and population growth.
The first two are a factor for sure but population growth is clearly the main driver. We need those bodies not to tip into recession though. Bureacracy is exactly these kind of things death by a thousand cuts and land use is supported at the local level so near impossible to change. So we are stuck with fixing things on the margins.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
The first two are a factor for sure but population growth is clearly the main driver. We need those bodies not to tip into recession though. Bureacracy is exactly these kind of things death by a thousand cuts and land use is supported at the local level so near impossible to change. So we are stuck with fixing things on the margins.
If we look at the stairwell requirement as yet another example of bureaucracy, then yes you are correct.

I was moreso speaking of the local municipal bureaucracy, but NBC and OBC probably have tons of stupid things in there that add unnecessary cost.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
If we look at the stairwell requirement as yet another example of bureaucracy, then yes you are correct.

I was moreso speaking of the local municipal bureaucracy, but NBC and OBC probably have tons of stupid things in there that add unnecessary cost.
The stairwell is a good example of a rule that has positive effects. It certainly saves lives in a fire. It's not faceless evil bureaucrats imposing the rules unnessarily it's legitamate rules that we chose as a society that are very hard to unwind when our prioties and circumstances change. We have cheap construction with immigratn skilled labour from WW2 through the 70s so adding an extra stairwell seemed reasonable. We were also more careless than lots of Europeans. Now we smoke less and everyhing else that causes fires is safer as well so a change seems senisible. It's a political choice though and I doubt Ford or PP have the stomach for the risk a fire happens after the change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada