HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 10:39 PM

I was just checking out the live webcam... Is that a tram tower rising over some houses? The white poles...

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 11:12 PM

Don't think so.

The only tower (as I understand it) will be on that platform just to the left of the OHSU building. The pre-fabricated steel for the tower will be arriving by barge, so I doubt we'll be seeing any related activity up in the neighborhood.

Maybe they are working on burying the utilities along Gibbs, as per the agreement hammered out with the neighborhood association?

I do wonder how soon we'll see the pedestrian bridge over I-5 going up.
Hopefully sooner than later.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 11:56 PM

What white poles are you speaking of? I couldn't find them on the webcam picture. I'm actually sitting in an office right off of Corbett in the lair hill neighborhood and didn't see any poles yet today. They have been doing a lot of utility construction around here for some time now. I'm pretty sure the work on Gibbs is done. There are new streetlights up and everything too.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 12:19 AM

Guess I was just getting a little excited... sorry.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 12:28 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

You are very fortunate what a great looking place. The layout and wood floors look perfect... congratulations..

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 9:59 PM

On my way home yesterday I did notice some very large metal poles going up on Corbett... They were black. I think they are for power lines though.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 10:07 PM

yeah they are replacing the old rust-colored truss power tower with a new cylindrical steel tower.

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 7:23 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

That's too bad. I love the rusty power poles.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 5:32 AM

Thanks for the comments. Yes, that is the new pad. It's so immaculately finished that I was afraid of touching anything so as not to scratch anything.

And yes, those rusty towers are being replaced with poles. And being moved 200 feet north. Thankfully. I like rust color, but those things that are there now are not poles. They're gigantic towers. Hopefully, the new poles going in are much more subtle and elegant. I wish they would just run the lines under the Ross Island Bridge, but oh well.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 5:46 PM
TEH KING

Nice pictures and nice project.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 10:21 PM

Not sure if anyone else noticed but they started installing glass on the John Ross building today.

You can sort of make it out (OK barely) in the bottom right-hand of this image (circled in red).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 7:15 AM

Definately looks like glass to me. Very interesting. Looks like the tower is a little more than half way Up

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 3:18 PM

^It is glass...I drove past it last night. There is the glass and also some skin. Looks like it is going to be da sh!t...

I was amazed at 6:00 last night by how many people were walking and riding bikes through the neighborhood. There were more people walking around than could possibly be living the the Meriwether Tower. Looks like Portlanders are embracing the development.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
I was amazed at 6:00 last night by how many people were walking and riding bikes through the neighborhood. There were more people walking around than could possibly be living the the Meriwether Tower. Looks like Portlanders are embracing the development.
I was walking around down there last week and as soon as I passed the OHSU building I was immediately accosted by a rent-a-cop: "Hi! Are you a resident here?" he asked, in the exact same tone as you hear when snobby retail people ask if you need help, but mean "you really don't belong here, now, do you?" It was a little off-putting.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 6:33 PM

^strange, I've never dealt with something like that before, but it makes sense since construction theft, usually by meth heads, can really drive up the cost.

Now if they asked me to leave the area...I'd be livid!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 7:43 PM

I had a similar rent-a-cop experience a few days ago. I wanted to get a look up close at the Meriwether and see if the courtyard between the two towers was open yet, and the security guy stopped me on the street about a half block away. He wouldn't let me go any further, saying that I was on private property.
We debated that for several minutes, with him insisting that the street directly in front of the condos leading to the waterfront would forever be private property and not open to the public, and that the streets around the development are private property for the time being. I asked if I could just ride up, WITHIN HIS SIGHT, to the fence at the edge of the greenway and he said no. Eventually I gave up and left, but I was frustrated and thought about complaining to someone - I mean, I'm on my bike, with a camera, not exactly likely to ride off with an 8-foot piece of steel or anything.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 7:46 PM

Lunchtime, Rick Emerson show and some drive by shooting

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers
I had a similar rent-a-cop experience a few days ago. I wanted to get a look up close at the Meriwether and see if the courtyard between the two towers was open yet, and the security guy stopped me on the street about a half block away. He wouldn't let me go any further, saying that I was on private property.
We debated that for several minutes, with him insisting that the street directly in front of the condos leading to the waterfront would forever be private property and not open to the public, and that the streets around the development are private property for the time being. I asked if I could just ride up, WITHIN HIS SIGHT, to the fence at the edge of the greenway and he said no. Eventually I gave up and left, but I was frustrated and thought about complaining to someone - I mean, I'm on my bike, with a camera, not exactly likely to ride off with an 8-foot piece of steel or anything.
Good grief. It looks like Jack Bog's beloved gated community for that area is coming to fruition!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 9:02 PM

You're the man, Couv! Thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW
You're the man, Couv! Thanks for the pics!
No problem, I had a little extra time and I thought it was time for a tour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos