HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Yikes ! There is a windsock visible as the plane lands. Looks like a decent crosswind. The plane seemed stable enough a couple of seconds before touchdown. Then it all went to shit.

I mean, YYT-DUB makes sense as well, while they're at it.

I have to say though, WS flip flopping with their strategy like this is kind of exhausting. I mean, they were serving YHZ-LGW/CDG/GLA and DUB in 2022. Then cut it all. Now re-starting it all from YYT. One has to wonder if management have a clear plan moving forward, or they're just wingin' it as they go.
That 77W, yikes. Could have even been a lot worse. At around the 8-9 second mark there's some debris flying. Wonder if that was a piece off a tire?

As for YYT, if they add LGW and DUB, I wonder if they'd add daily feeder flights from the likes of YOW, YUL and/or YHZ, along with YYC & YEG? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:18 PM

Looks like they mistakenly uploaded the information on to this page:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/direct-flights

It appears the freed up 787 is going to increases on NRT / FCO / BCN and EDI.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:21 PM

^ YYC-KEF also on there, May 15- Sept 8 2024.

NRT daily was the right move. So 4 weekly frequencies are going there. So I guess the increase on the other 3 is 1x weekly each? Is that right?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Also:

YYZ-DUB
YYZ-EDI
YYT-LGW
YHZ-LGW
YHZ-EDI
YHZ-DUB

Both YYC-NRT and FCO are both going daily.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent news for us, at least. Now, just keeping my fingers crossed it's under $1K return

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:27 PM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
What other city in Canada's without service to London at present that until March 2020 had it? Hmm, I wonder. Not that I'm expecting that city to land a WS MAX to LGW.

I'm pretty sure WS currently hold 4 LGW daily slots, of which 3 were leased out last summer.

The 73G is the perfectly sized aircraft for YYT-LGW. It's also shorter than YYC-YYT.
Winnipeg had weekly Saturday summer service to LGW on WestJet's ill-fated 767s in 2018/19.

Newfoundland has historically had air links with Europe; starting with Pan Am's flying boats which landed in Botwood. AC operated YQX-LHR for many years before the flight was moved to YYT in the late 1980's. For a period, the LHR flight was YHZ-YYT-LHR (AC 860) and LHR-YYT-YHZ (AC 861). There were no passengers carried only between the YHZ/YYT leg. Then, AC decided to open the YHZ/YYT leg to passengers. This resulted in YHZ originating LHR bound passengers having to deplane in YYT and for the WB flight, all passengers cleared customs in YYT. There's video of Paul McCartney schlepping through YYT in March 2006 after clearing customs when he was flying to PEI via YHZ with his ex-wife Heather Mills to protest the East Coast seal hunt.

Then, YHZ/YYT were split into two separate LHR flights with the YYT-LHR flight eventually reducing to summer seasonal operated on an A319 until it was suspended due to the pandemic. Flew YYT-LHR in July 2013 and the flight was ~ 50-60% full.

It will be interesting to see what West Jet has planned. They did make YYT a mini transatlantic hub in 2014. Round two perhaps?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:36 PM

I said, let me check St. John's on there, and didn't see anything. After you guys posted those routes, I realized I had selected St John's, AG (wherever that is !) and not NL.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:

NRT daily was the right move. So 4 weekly frequencies are going there. So I guess the increase on the other 3 is 1x weekly each? Is that right?
FCO gained 2x / EDI gained 1x / BCN gained 3x.

Which brings the schedule to:

LHR 1x daily
CDG 1x daily
NRT 1x daily
FCO 1x daily
BCN 6x weekly
DUB 5x weekly
EDI 4x weekly

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:45 PM

Halifax's Transatlantic so far scheduled for peak summer 2024:

Discover Airlines YHZ-FRA 4x weekly A330
Condor Airlines YHZ-FRA 3x weekly A330
Air Canada YHZ-LHR Daily 737max8
Icelandair YHZ-KEF 3x weekly 737max8
Westjet YHZ-LGW 4x weekly 737max8
Westjet YHZ-EDI 3x weekly 737max8
Westjet YHZ-DUB 4x weekly 737max8

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
I said, let me check St. John's on there, and didn't see anything. After you guys posted those routes, I realized I had selected St John's, AG (wherever that is !) and not NL.
Another capital city is St. John's. This one is St. John's, Antigua (ANU). Year-round YYT-ANU service on AC and WS; plus AC seasonal YUL-ANU.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
FCO gained 2x / EDI gained 1x / BCN gained 3x.
And NRT gained 4x? All with one 787? That can't be right. What else besides LGW was cut on the 787?

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Halifax's Transatlantic so far scheduled for peak summer 2024:

Discover Airlines YHZ-FRA 4x weekly A330
Condor Airlines YHZ-FRA 3x weekly A330
Air Canada YHZ-LHR Daily 737max8
Icelandair YHZ-KEF 3x weekly 737max8
Westjet YHZ-LGW 4x weekly 737max8
Westjet YHZ-EDI 3x weekly 737max8
Westjet YHZ-DUB 4x weekly 737max8
So basically the equivalent of 4 daily flights. I think YHZ can handle that, considering most of that is on narrowbody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Another capital city is St. John's. This one is St. John's, Antigua (ANU). Year-round YYT-ANU service on AC and WS; plus AC seasonal YUL-ANU.
Yes. Antigua. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
So basically the equivalent of 4 daily flights. I think YHZ can handle that, considering most of that is on narrowbody.
Fridays will have approx. 600 seats to FRA on two separate A330's.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
And NRT gained 4x? All with one 787? That can't be right. What else besides LGW was cut on the 787?
Maybe they're going all out with all 7x 787 operating at least for 1 day a week. The worse is just to have to delay a flight for a day, or cancel 1 flight a week if one plane is down. They still have the other 6 days to catch up with the delays

Or.. maybe they'll wait and see, and remove 1 flight from the worse performing route with advanced booking. Similar to what Flair did all the time

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Indeed, the math ain't mathing.

Looking at what's being loaded in the GDS now, BCN is only 6x weekly for one week. It stays at 5x the rest of the summer.

I see EDI is being re-timed to depart earlier/ return to YYC at 12:30pm.

Maybe they're dropping the YYZ 787 runs? Which I think is dumb as that was used as a hot spare in case something went wrong.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Maybe they're dropping the YYZ 787 runs? Which I think is dumb as that was used as a hot spare in case something went wrong.
They can still do it 6x weekly to maximize fleet use.

AC do this all the time.. you see a lot of trans-con widebody scheduled with 6x weekly and substitute a MAX/320/223 for the other one day when they need the plane for long hual. At YVR, they did 2 of those rotations a few years back (midday for DUB/KIX/CDG/ZRH and midnight MEL/DEL), and planning to do 1 next summer (midday for DUB/KIX). Maybe that's why their OTP is so bad

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I’m so excited It’s going to be lovely to take a trip and be there in a few hours, instead of losing a whole day going to Toronto or Montreal first to connect. I really missed it. Coming back from Ireland and Spain in 2019 and 2023 killed me, when you’re looking down at NL and SPM, and still hours away from landing somewhere on the mainland, and then hours again flying back. It’s probably juvenile, definitely a first world problem, but it’s just ssssooo demoralizing, exhausting.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I’m so excited It’s going to be lovely to take a trip and be there in a few hours, instead of losing a whole day going to Toronto or Montreal first to connect. I really missed it. Coming back from Ireland and Spain in 2019 and 2023 killed me, when you’re looking down at NL and SPM, and still hours away from landing somewhere on the mainland, and then hours again flying back. It’s probably juvenile, definitely a first world problem, but it’s just ssssooo demoralizing, exhausting.
This is your chance to support it.

Can't be a whinger unless you do, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 10:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We did last time too. The Dublin direct flight was doing fine - our airport authority just behaved like we were doing them the favour letting them fly from here, nickled and dimed them for everything. Meanwhile, other airports rolled out the red carpet, incentives, etc. There's a lot of inertia, and as long as the airport's leaders could get to their cabins in Deer Lake, b'y, they were earning every cent of their salary.

It's typical of a lot of things here - like St. John's charging 6x what Toronto does for a restaurant wanting to rent a parking space for a patio. It's $131 in Moncton, and more than $2,500 here.

I don't think I've ever taken the Air Canada direct to London when we had it? It was prohibitively expensive for me until Westjet introduced competition.

I'll definitely go. Next trip is going to be Lisbon.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Should be doable. 7 weekly cut with 6 weekly added. Maybe the YYC-YYZ domestic turn gets reduced or chopped to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Winnipeg had weekly Saturday summer service to LGW on WestJet's ill-fated 767s in 2018/19.

Newfoundland has historically had air links with Europe; starting with Pan Am's flying boats which landed in Botwood. AC operated YQX-LHR for many years before the flight was moved to YYT in the late 1980's. For a period, the LHR flight was YHZ-YYT-LHR (AC 860) and LHR-YYT-YHZ (AC 861). There were no passengers carried only between the YHZ/YYT leg. Then, AC decided to open the YHZ/YYT leg to passengers. This resulted in YHZ originating LHR bound passengers having to deplane in YYT and for the WB flight, all passengers cleared customs in YYT. There's video of Paul McCartney schlepping through YYT in March 2006 after clearing customs when he was flying to PEI via YHZ with his ex-wife Heather Mills to protest the East Coast seal hunt.

Then, YHZ/YYT were split into two separate LHR flights with the YYT-LHR flight eventually reducing to summer seasonal operated on an A319 until it was suspended due to the pandemic. Flew YYT-LHR in July 2013 and the flight was ~ 50-60% full.

It will be interesting to see what West Jet has planned. They did make YYT a mini transatlantic hub in 2014. Round two perhaps?
YWG wasn't the airport I was referring to though. It's an airport that had service to LHR and/or LGW continuously since the early 70s and 1986 on AC.

For YHZ-Europe, it'll be interesting to see if YOW-YHZ returns seasonally on WS as a feeder for the 2 daily Europe flights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada