HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 4:08 PM

The zoning in that part of Atlanta is terrible. New Suburban strip malls, apartments with surface parking, yuck...I have no hope for that area to be actually urban/walkable.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The zoning in that part of Atlanta is terrible. New Suburban strip malls, apartments with surface parking, yuck...I have no hope for that area to be actually urban/walkable.
I agree. The zoning in most of the city is terrible, thus the initiative to do a total zoning rewrite. But by the time the rewrite is done, this booming area will be too suburban for it to have much impact.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I agree. The zoning in most of the city is terrible, thus the initiative to do a total zoning rewrite. But by the time the rewrite is done, this booming area will be too suburban for it to have much impact.
Not to beat a dead horse and pile on... but I absolutely agree with all the aforementioned. This area is seeing rapid development similar and perhaps greater than what we saw off memorial a few years ago and there’s still plenty in the pipeline. The city is letting the constituents down by letting just any POS development to go in.

Okay is not good enough for most, but for the city of Atlanta “okay” is considered exceptional. It’s half assed and that’s about it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
How long is this rewrite going to take...??? It's not like they have to reinvent the wheel here.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
How long is this rewrite going to take...??? It's not like they have to reinvent the wheel here.
Its not a matter of reinvention but you're talking about rewriting laws for every parcel of land in the city from scratch. In other major cities such as Denver, Raleigh, Philadelphia & Miami it has taken 4-5 years.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Its not a matter of reinvention but you're talking about rewriting laws for every parcel of land in the city from scratch. In other major cities such as Denver, Raleigh, Philadelphia & Miami it has taken 4-5 years.
Wow, when did the rewrite start?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:05 PM

^Tim Keane was hired in July 2015, and the zoning rewrite started shortly after. So, we've been waiting 5 years already.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^Tim Keane was hired in July 2015, and the zoning rewrite started shortly after. So, we've been waiting 5 years already.
That's not what happened. Keane didn't come to Atlanta and start rewriting zoning laws the next week. The first thing he wisely did was to figure out what Atlanta wants the city to be via the Atlanta city design project.

They have implemented some short term fixes just in the last couple of years.   The city issued an RFP to do the complete zoning overhaul in Dec 2018.  

https://www.atlantaga.gov/government.../zoning-reform

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:07 PM

^So, yes, 5 years of planning the zoning overhaul. I know they're short on funds and staff, but with Atlanta its always planning planning planning and no action. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks Shivtim. I figured that much, at least. Which brings me back to my original point....

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
That's not what happened. Keane didn't come to Atlanta and start rewriting zoning laws the next week. The first thing he wisely did was to figure out what Atlanta wants the city to be via the Atlanta city design project.

They have implemented some short term fixes just in the last couple of years.   The city issued an RFP to do the complete zoning overhaul in Dec 2018.  

https://www.atlantaga.gov/government.../zoning-reform
I no longer live in Atlanta, so the impact of these short term fixes are not immediately apparent to me. Seems to me that by the time that they are done with the rewrite, it will almost be too late.....

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
^So, yes, 5 years of planning the zoning overhaul. I know they're short on funds and staff, but with Atlanta its always planning planning planning and no action. Just my opinion.
The alternative being rushing to action only to have everyone bitching about the outcome and that there wasn't enough public engagement. Damned if you do....

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:51 PM

Where are you getting short on funds? The tax revenue flowing into the city has been increasing substantial the last few years. The budgets have risen steadily as has the rainy day fund for the city....at least until March 2020.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:44 PM

PHASE 2 of The Interlock!

Delivering in 2023, we now have leasing opportunities available for PHASE 2 of The Interlock!
  • 40,000-square-foot grocery anchor
  • 37,000-square-foot retail/restaurant space
  • 100,200 square-foot office space
  • 670-bed student housing
  • 190-room boutique hotel

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/s-j-c...572828161-dHde

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Delivering in 2023, we now have leasing opportunities available for PHASE 2 of The Interlock!
  • 40,000-square-foot grocery anchor
  • 37,000-square-foot retail/restaurant space
  • 100,200 square-foot office space
  • 670-bed student housing
  • 190-room boutique hotel

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/s-j-c...572828161-dHde
Whew!!!! Thanks smArTaLlone !!
This interjection is welcomed speed bump for what could become a rolling posts of a **fest.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:26 AM

So. Much. Student. Housing!

Looking forward to all the other components.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:46 AM

Yeah. The student housing supply seems to be never ending. I'm not sure I like the design but it will be another great project for the neighborhood with a grocery anchor.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:57 PM

Echo Street West gets $10M property tax break

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ey-hurdle.html

Quote:
A planned $227 million office and residential development on Atlanta's Westside has cleared a major hurdle, landing just over $10 million in property tax reductions.

The project at Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway and Northside Drive would include 278,100 square feet of creative office space, 50,700 square feet of commercial space, and a 5-story residential building with approximately 285 units.

Developer Lincoln Property Co. owns the 18-acre site, a collection of economically distressed properties along the former CSX Railroad “Kudzu Line.” Lincoln has entered discussions with the Westside Future Fund on a community benefits agreement and could fund a portion of the deal, a representative of the developer told the Development Authority of Fulton County on Tuesday.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
You forgot to add an important piece of info in case we had some people complaining about that tax break.

Quote:
The properties are currently generating about $44,000 in annual revenue, according to the Development Authority.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I like it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta