HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
Oh I see. Not the main area, but the little section just past it on the other side of the shrubbery from the sidewalk. It does seem weird to not have a curb there. I have a feeling that the response from Colony Square was thinking the same thing as I was.
Ah yes, sorry for the confusion. While I would prefer the drive through be a bit more pedestrian focused, I'm generally fine with it. Some curb, and a few really heavy planters for protection. It's that white striped section I take issue with, it's just too close to the street for comfort.

On a side note, there has been a significant increase in pedestrian traffic crossing in the middle of the block between NS and Colony Square using that little median island. I wonder if the city would consider adding a crosswalk there...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
Oh I see. Not the main area, but the little section just past it on the other side of the shrubbery from the sidewalk. It does seem weird to not have a curb there. I have a feeling that the response from Colony Square was thinking the same thing as I was.
I think Colony Square knew what he was referring to. He did say at the end of the white-striped section, so there's no other place that could mean.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:30 PM

i don't think grade separation is necessary if you've got bollards or plants or a series of vertical objects placed relatively close together. the lack of grade separation is a mental signal that it's a shared area for drivers to slow down in. if anything, curbs, lane markers and such, are doing part of the mental work of driving and encourage drivers to speed up. there's some psychological case studies behind this.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:49 PM

Midtown's 'Establishment' Announces Renovation and Expansion Plans

https://whatnowatlanta.com/establish...EnBdL0cj80u7AA

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Midtown's 'Establishment' Announces Renovation and Expansion Plans

https://whatnowatlanta.com/establish...EnBdL0cj80u7AA
They are going to town on the "Grove" area below Establishment. The mature trees are being very nicely protected from what I can tell.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
They are going to town on the "Grove" area below Establishment. The mature trees are being very nicely protected from what I can tell.
It wouldn't be very Grove-like if they didn't.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:47 PM

really excited to see the new colony square. those trees are awesome

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:01 AM

I agree. With some nice landscaping, The Grove could be a real asset to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 12:04 PM

I think Colony Square is going to send shock waves through the development community when all is said and done.

It will become a magnet once again IMHO.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 6:59 PM

iPic Theater Files Plans For $1 MM Colony Square Buildout

https://whatnowatlanta.com/ipic-thea...14cqY4fCOIBtwI

YESSSS!!! I can't wait to have a movie theater a couple of blocks from home!!!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 8:34 PM

I'm surprised it will only cost $1,000,000?? I would think a nine screen luxury theater in the heart of midtown would cost substantially more to build out than just a million.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 9:52 PM

AMC spent $1.2 million overhauling the Phipps Plaza theater, and that has 14 screens. This is only a 9 screen theater, so it seems reasonable.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
AMC spent $1.2 million overhauling the Phipps Plaza theater, and that has 14 screens. This is only a 9 screen theater, so it seems reasonable.
Doesn't seem reasonable at all. That's an overhaul, this is building from scratch. $1,000,000 seems too low, almost all cinema developments I've read about cost more than that. I'm guessing the million dollar figure covers only exterior construction, or something else and does not include interior build out.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
Doesn't seem reasonable at all. That's an overhaul, this is building from scratch. $1,000,000 seems too low, almost all cinema developments I've read about cost more than that. I'm guessing the million dollar figure covers only exterior construction, or something else and does not include interior build out.

It's probably the other way around. IPic doesn't have to construct a building. They're just a tenant in the Colony Square development.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
It's probably the other way around. IPic doesn't have to construct a building. They're just a tenant in the Colony Square development.
That would make sense, but going off the whatnowatlanta article it says "An estimated $1,000,000 will be spent constructing the new iPic Theater" So I assumed it meant just that, constructing the theater shown in the renderings. Anyway I guess we'll find out soon.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 2:58 AM

No way. I’ve been involved with the construction and renovation of numerous theaters in Atlanta and Nashville. My first project was the Hollywood 24 on I85 back in the late 90s. Yes, that was completely new construction and I know exactly what that cost 20 years ago. Tenant build out for a movie theater easily tops $500,000 per screen. 1 million per screen in use ‘might’ be more resonable if the prior use was a similar use. $1 million for 9 screens.....NO WAY!

I would assume Colony Square is providing just a shell which is the least expensive part of the theater build out. iPic’s build out will be where the money is spent and $1 million wouldn’t even get you 1 screen and a low quality concession space. If this is a 9 screen complex, you are looking at $20 million between construction and equipment easily. That would be for a basic theater not something higher end such as an iPic.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Mar 1, 2019 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 1:04 PM

Thanks for the insight.

I'm curious what's really going on here then. Is iPic significantly underreporting the cost of the buildout in the plans that they filed with the city?

Or is What Now Atlanta reading the plans incorrectly, because they were also the source for the cost ($1.2 million) of the AMC Phipps Plaza theater overhaul.

"That project included the addition of stadium-style seating with power recliners with footrests, a new bar and marketplace, and a renovation of the theatre’s restrooms, box office and lobby area."

From this description, it sounds like they pretty much gutted everything; starting from scratch, as you would in a buildout.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/landmark-...ma-renovations

Any other possible explanations for the reporting that I haven't considered?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:

Any other possible explanations for the reporting that I haven't considered?
It could just be a typo or an error.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:38 PM

There's nothing deceptive about it. The $1,000,000 is for construction of the theatre. Why would they need to include the total cost of all the equipment, furniture etc in such a permit?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 9:08 PM

The figure is $500,000 to $1,000,000 per screen for buildout depending on prior use. No way the permit price is correct. I’ll stick to my figures.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta