HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 42 30.66%
Agree 33 24.09%
Undecided / Neutral 19 13.87%
Disagree 16 11.68%
Strongly Disagree 27 19.71%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ison-1.4093542

Turns out Calgary needs two full sized arenas.

Seating capacity:

Saddledome: 19,289
Markin MacPhail Centre: 3,922
Max Bell: 2,121
Father David Bauer: 1,750
No surprise there, Vancouver had 2 full size arenas for their games...

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ison-1.4093542

Turns out Calgary needs two full sized arenas.

Seating capacity:

Saddledome: 19,289
Markin MacPhail Centre: 3,922
Max Bell: 2,121
Father David Bauer: 1,750
That'll essentially just further persuade them to hurry up and get the new arena built.
From an economic standpoint, I'm skeptical it'll help significantly. We're just giving more money to those who already have plenty.

However from a development-loving standpoint, I'm ecstatic to see this potentially happening sooner. Hopefully they'll do it right, similar to how Edmonton hopes to do their Ice District.

(Hopefully ours will be just the slightest bit better than theirs, for competition's sake )

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:39 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
No surprise there, Vancouver had 2 full size arenas for their games...
I'm far from an expert on Olympic affairs, but I have a hard time believing some the the curling events and low profile hockey games(Switzerland Vs. Azeibaijan) would draw much of a crowd.

Obviously figure skating and a Canada hockey game would need a large arena.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:15 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
I'm far from an expert on Olympic affairs, but I have a hard time believing some the the curling events and low profile hockey games(Switzerland Vs. Azeibaijan) would draw much of a crowd.

Obviously figure skating and a Canada hockey game would need a large arena.
The new arena would be hockey and the Saddledome would be figure skating. Short track and all that could probably be at either the Oval or Winsport.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:59 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
The new arena would be hockey and the Saddledome would be figure skating. Short track and all that could probably be at either the Oval or Winsport.
I thought they could've just fit them all into one venue. Although, there are probably more events than I can think of now, and the high profile one probably need to be scheduled in the evening.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:03 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I thought they could've just fit them all into one venue. Although, there are probably more events than I can think of now, and the high profile one probably need to be scheduled in the evening.
Hockey and Figure Skating are the biggest draws, so they would be in direct competition for ice time. Only makes sense to me to have separate buildings.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hockey and Figure Skating are the biggest draws, so they would be in direct competition for ice time. Only makes sense to me to have separate buildings.
In 1988 they used both Corral & Saddledome, but Corral was somewhat embarrassing even then (I remember the Brians show-down - short program was definitely in the Corral).

Thinking forward and looking at the arena options, the advantages of having two within walking distance and co-located with a central activities hub is huge.

It would be a fitting swansong for the Saddledome also. While it opened well in advance of '88, it was an Olympics in mind facility. To have it for the '88 Olympics and close out after the '26 games would be a reinforcement of the success of the '88 games from an infrastructure perspective.

Last edited by suburbia; May 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:01 PM

Curling and short-track are fairly strong draws too, particularly given Canada's likely medal haul in both. With those, figure skating and men and women's hockey I wouldn't be surprised if they found use for max bell, father david bauer or winsport as well as the two arenas.

The security argument is interesting and surely tips the committee's hat towards recommending a bid. The Stampede Grounds would almost become an secure Olympic park type space, similar to what has been the norm for summer games. I think a new arena next door to the Saddledome would make Calgary's bid significantly stronger than a new arena on a different site. My only hesitation is that once it becomes a centrepiece of a bid it would give the Flames a lot of room to weasel out of paying their fair share.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
I won't say impossible, but it's likely impractical to host short track at the Oval. In 1988, short track was at Max Bell.

Obviously the Oval has the ice, but you basically have to shut down the long track for a short track competition, and vice versa -- depending on how much room you want to have for athletes, coaches, officials, and media, etc, and how much close-in seating you want for the short track. So you'd either have to convert the venue back and forth as needed (yuck), and probably sacrifice ice quality while doing so (double yuck).

The Oval basically shuts down for several days in advance of major competitions to prepare for them. I've been a volunteer official at an amateur short track competition, and the long track was shut down.

In the 2014 games, short track operated on 5 days, and long track on 12 days. I presume the ice was also needed for practice on other days (short trackers could hypothetically practice in other arenas, but obviously not so on long track).

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Curling and short-track are fairly strong draws too, particularly given Canada's likely medal haul in both. With those, figure skating and men and women's hockey I wouldn't be surprised if they found use for max bell, father david bauer or winsport as well as the two arenas.
My recollection is that MaxBell was used for curling in '88, but I might be wrong. Winsport, particularly the beautiful large arena there close to the entrance across the hall of fame, would now be in play. MaxBell isn't 2026 calibre IMHO.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
My recollection is that MaxBell was used for curling in '88, but I might be wrong. Winsport, particularly the beautiful large arena there close to the entrance across the hall of fame, would now be in play. MaxBell isn't 2026 calibre IMHO.
You recall correctly. For plenty of other details, here's an excellent reference: 1988 Winter Olympics official report.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedTheTracks View Post
I won't say impossible, but it's likely impractical to host short track at the Oval. In 1988, short track was at Max Bell.

Obviously the Oval has the ice, but you basically have to shut down the long track for a short track competition, and vice versa -- depending on how much room you want to have for athletes, coaches, officials, and media, etc, and how much close-in seating you want for the short track. So you'd either have to convert the venue back and forth as needed (yuck), and probably sacrifice ice quality while doing so (double yuck).

The Oval basically shuts down for several days in advance of major competitions to prepare for them. I've been a volunteer official at an amateur short track competition, and the long track was shut down.

In the 2014 games, short track operated on 5 days, and long track on 12 days. I presume the ice was also needed for practice on other days (short trackers could hypothetically practice in other arenas, but obviously not so on long track).
My recollection is that in '88 the games were only like 10 days long. the fact they are up from that (did I hear 16 days?) is a huge positive. The greater number of sports have time, but also, the Olympics critical mass is maintained, infrastructure limits become slightly more modest, and logistics become way easier.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:

You are correct, for major events they take the ice and boards out of the middle of the oval.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
My recollection is that in '88 the games were only like 10 days long. the fact they are up from that (did I hear 16 days?) is a huge positive. The greater number of sports have time, but also, the Olympics critical mass is maintained, infrastructure limits become slightly more modest, and logistics become way easier.
Ok now you're getting into REALLY easy facts to figure out on your own

Feburary 13-28, 1988. 16 days.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ok now you're getting into REALLY easy facts to figure out on your own

Feburary 13-28, 1988. 16 days.
Wasn't meaning to be difficult.

Looks like more recent ones were 17 days:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Olympic_Games

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:18 PM

In regards to ice availability, the current foothills fieldhouse proposal is suppose to replace the Father Bauer and Norma Bush arenas with two new ones. So if one of them are built to 2000 seat capacity, that gives another venue nearby the UCalgary cluster that could host events outside of the Oval.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:58 PM

So apparently the IOC wants Calgary to host.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-north-america

Would solve prime time broadcasting issues in North America. Sochi, S. Korea, Beijing are a disaster for broadcasting here in NA.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:28 PM

The games are ours if we decide to bid. Would be great publicity for the city and an opportunity for the IOC to showcase a budget games. Would likely also cement Calgary as our winter sports capital for another generation or so. The bill at the end would still be in the billions though, and that's a tough one to swallow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy