HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Seriously, I got my kid a new IPnone 6s with unlimited data?!? + insurance for drops/water damage etc.. Down $150 /off the hop, 65$/ month did I get burnt? Sounds reasonable...(MTS)
Well it is not "unlimited data". MTS hasn't used that marketing term for about two years now. They call it "flat rate" now. Either way the changing is essentially just wording but you are still throttled to the pain carrier pigeons seem like a viable and faster option once you have exceeded 15 GB of data in a billing cycle.

Personally I would say the insurance is not worth it. You pay around $250 over a 24 month contract for it. If you make a claim your deductible is $150. If the phone broke at the 12 month point you could pay out the contract balance and put a similar $150 down payment on a new phone. Also the insurance can give you a refurbished phone while buying out the contract gets you a brand new device. After the 12 month point your buyout side keeps going down too.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Well it is not "unlimited data". MTS hasn't used that marketing term for about two years now. They call it "flat rate" now. Either way the changing is essentially just wording but you are still throttled to the pain carrier pigeons seem like a viable and faster option once you have exceeded 15 GB of data in a billing cycle.
Yeah, streaming, (audio/video) other similiar services drop off, you have to move to wi-fi at that point..Basically you would have to watch more than 5 movies, (ie: netflix), a month on your phone..Guess it does happen to some..

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:24 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
The issue behind the MTS is much less to do with wireless than the wired network upgrades that need to be undertaken. The elephant in the room is the wired network data growth is occurring far faster than planned and going to soon out strip the network capacity.

On the wireless side the cost to provide service and the possible reinvestment from the services offered hit a point MTS could no longer sustain their own network more than seven years ago. That lead to the first of the two deals with Rogers to do some of the heavy lifting on the MTS wireless network.
Yeah, I don't believe you. You have shares in the company so you will make money on this. A lot of money.
Your greatest motivation here is for that reason. Nothing you say sells me, period.
The rest of us will pay through the nose monthly and you bloody well know it.

With any luck this will be stopped in its tracks by the controls in place. I doubt it will happen but I hope.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:14 PM

Customers are pushed to wi-fi so often now that its really hard to get to the point of being throttled. I have a friend that actually has been throttled and swears he uses his phone "normally". And whines about MTS not honoring "unlimited data". Between wi-fi at work and wi-fi at home, I have trouble hitting 2gb a month.

On the other hand, another friend just switched to MTS after moving to Grand Marais where he has no wi-fi and will be using data 24/7.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The rest of us will pay through the nose monthly and you bloody well know it.
Actually got out and research what other markets pay for similar services. MTS rates are actually at or below average for North America. Wireless is competitive with rates across the global.

In terms of data, I was surprised last month to find I was at my data cap. I know what caused it -- a malbehaving app I installed. That said to be over the 15 GB MTS allows you need to be streaming media in some form or otherwise really pushing the boundaries. I normally don't care if I am on WiFi or wireless with my phone as I normally don't hit the cap even using my phone fairly heavily.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Actually got out and research what other markets pay for similar services. MTS rates are actually at or below average for North America. Wireless is competitive with rates across the global.

In terms of data, I was surprised last month to find I was at my data cap. I know what caused it -- a malbehaving app I installed. That said to be over the 15 GB MTS allows you need to be streaming media in some form or otherwise really pushing the boundaries. I normally don't care if I am on WiFi or wireless with my phone as I normally don't hit the cap even using my phone fairly heavily.
Ugh, you're making money on the deal. You have a conflict of interest. Stop.
Quote:
Michael Pash
Flag
Michael Pash
I can just picture the boardroom meeting with all the top executives ...

President: Guys, were losing TV subscribers by the thousands every week. What are we going to do?
Junior analyst: Lets lower prices and bring back more subscribers so we can maximize on advertising revenues.
President: Youre fired! Anyone else?
Another executive: Lets raise the prices again to offset these losses
President: Great idea! Give that man a raise! This idea will not fail!

End sarcasm.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc...able-1.3676769

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Jul 14, 2016 at 1:44 AM. Reason: Bold

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i looked into getting mts dsl with the data sim plan but found out they dont offer it with a regular adsl barg!!! and im right beside a major fibor breakout sigh buggers.... hydro fibor runs down my lane even dumble lame... though not worth 1k a month to get hydro fiber maybe i can convince les.net to run me a line hahah

i'll just keep herassing my friend whos got a fibor network to expand it since i cant get a los from my works wireles network

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 10:58 PM

All MTS customers get your official move is imminent to such and such numbered companies in the mail?
No action on your part is necessary at this time.

Can't wait to see the rate hikes implemented due to the upgrade in services planned.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
All MTS customers get your official move is imminent to such and such numbered companies in the mail?

Can't wait to see the rate hikes implemented due to the upgrade in services planned.
got my letter from MTS about that on Feb 8 or 9th.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:

Ugh. I cannot believe this was approved. Glad I'm tech savvy. I have things to do.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 2:23 PM

What Gonna Happen To MTS Stores Around In Manitoba

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
What Gonna Happen To MTS Stores Around In Manitoba
I don't believe they've released any information on that outside of 6 are being transferred to Xplornet (who are also getting 20 some thousand subscribers).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:25 PM

As most of the MTS Select stores are franchised (IDC, Advance, 4L Communications, etc.) I wonder what impact that is going to have on them?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:50 PM

You guys have probably seen this but here it is

http://behindthenumbers.ca/2017/02/0...good-bad-idea/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
You guys have probably seen this but here it is

Link doesn't work for me

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:51 PM

Not sure if that link still works here it is again

ehindthenumbers.ca/2017/02/09/brad-wall-sasktel-terrible-horrible-no-good-bad-idea/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:52 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
sorry dam mouse lol

The rate disparity between Man/Sask and the rest of the country is quite an eye opener when you see it layed out graphically. Manitoba. may be in for quite a shock when all is said and done.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:29 PM

MTS is Officially Fold For Good

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:03 PM
There is always a way

Brace for impact.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan