HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
I realize that's hypothetical, and even if the cost was significantly lower... in what universe does the city expect a developer to absorb those types of costs (to rebuild a FACADE no less) and still run a profitable business???

/rant
Also how this will play out:

1. Facade is spared (rebuilt).
2. 30 storey condo is built in the footprint, to pay for Facade rebuild.
3. Coffee shop in ground floor unit.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Also how this will play out:

1. Facade is spared (rebuilt).
2. 30 storey condo is built in the footprint, to pay for Facade rebuild.
3. Coffee shop in ground floor unit.
**Edit***

4. Plan above is proposed, NIMBY's heads literally explode.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
I realize that's hypothetical, and even if the cost was significantly lower... in what universe does the city expect a developer to absorb those types of costs (to rebuild a FACADE no less) and still run a profitable business???

/rant
Here's a solution: if you don't have a plan that is financially viable and you don't have deep pockets in the case of disaster then do not purchase heritage buildings in a city with clear heritage policies/guidelines. I know he could not have predicted that the building would partially collapse, but developers have to plan for these contingencies and take risks accordingly. There should be a specific timeline for heritage projects like this and penalties when you don't live up to them. This lot continues to be one of Ottawa's top 5 most embarrassing properties/projects!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I am pleased to report that City orders have been issued to make much needed repairs and restorations to Somerset House. My thanks to City Heritage Staff and our conservation architect who have been working hard to save this important heritage building in our city.
Typical politician; hardy handshakes and congratulations for doing absolutely nothing after 11 years. From what I understand, the city is politely asking the owner to replace plywood before winter and restoring some features in the spring. It might take a year maybe before the City steps up and does the work itself, if the building is stills standing and/or not ordered demolished for safety reasons by then.

I guarantee that within 5 years, the building will be gone. Time for another bronze plaque.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:24 PM

For crispe sake. How can a building be a money pit of no money is invested into it?

EXPROPRIATE!! The guy has 0 intention in fixing the building!!!

Somerset House owner wants to tear it down

John Willing
Postmedia
November 16, 2018

The owner of Somerset House, the ramshackle building at a landmark downtown intersection, says he wants to demolish it and construct something that reflects Centretown’s heritage.

“We want to tear down the building and build it how it looked,” Tony Shahrasebi said Friday of his property at the southeast corner of Somerset and Bank streets. “It’d look brand new, but old. It will last another 150 years.”

For years, and even up until recently, Shahrasebi has maintained that he wants to keep what’s left of the building for a redevelopment of the property. He has gone along with council’s wishes about keeping what’s left of the heritage-protected building, which was the home to the Duke of Somerset pub, after a partial collapse in 2007 during a construction project in the basement.

BACKGROUND: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-redevelopment

Council has accepted architectural concepts for a redevelopment, but there hasn’t been major work on the property to bring the drawings to life.

Shahrasebi, who also owns other properties around the downtown, said Somerset House has become a money pit and the only way to go about redeveloping the property is to start from scratch.

“Structurally, it won’t do the job,” Shahrasebi said. “It’s a building built for the old times, not today.”

He has battled with the city ever since the collapse. First, there was a legal fight; now, it’s a heritage and property standards battle. Heritage advocates warn about Somerset House falling victim to “demolition by neglect.” Coun. Catherine McKenney, who represents Centretown, has called on the city to expropriate the property to stimulate a heritage-sensitive redevelopment, but opponents of that idea fear it would lead other heritage property owners to do nothing with their fixer-uppers.

The commercial building dates back to the 1890s. Parts of the building have been torn down, leaving a run-down brick cube at a high-profile downtown location. There has been renovation work on the interior of the building, but not near enough to start leasing spaces. Finding an anchor commercial tenant has been a challenge for Shahrasebi.

According to Shahrasebi, he has lost about $15 million on the building, factoring in legal costs, building costs and lost rent.

His new vision is constructing a replacement building that looks exactly like the Somerset House from its glory days, just maybe a bit taller.

“If I can keep any of the (heritage) elements, I will,” Shahrasebi said. “That’s the easiest way of doing it, to make it work faster and to build.”

Shahrasebi is scheduled to meet with the city at the end of the month to discuss the status of the redevelopment and winter protection of the existing ruins.

The city is threatening to winter-proof the building and bill Shahrasebi if he doesn’t do the necessary work by Dec. 7. Shahrasebi said he winter-proofs the building each season, including heating the inside.

The city also wants Shahrasebi to restore the heritage attributes by April 30, 2019.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...8-3a75b071b12b

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:00 PM

Not really surprising developments there.

At this point in time I think the city's best course of action may be to do whatever Shahrasebi least wants them to do.

It's not just for spite, although the spite angle is deeply satisfying I'll admit.

If the city is going to be taken seriously in these sorts of cases in the future, it needs to be seen as an entity that is willing to throw its weight around. This guy needs to be made an example of to all the other slum lords and crooked developers in this city. Take whatever action will financially harm him the most. Choose whichever course will be the least lucrative for him. Bleed his bank account dry and antagonize him by burying him under a mountain of legal motions, summons to appear, subpoenas and other paperwork.

I previously supported expropriation because I want to see this property developed. But now, if there's any risk at all that Shahrasebi might be even a little bit happy about expropriation, then I'm willing to let that property sit derelict if it would mean that we get to a) harm him and b) make an example out of him.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:35 PM

"just maybe a little bit taller"

Ha! So maybe he wants 12 floors instead of 4. But it will look the same. Sure. He wants to be rewarded for everything that has happened.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:37 PM

I bet as a client, the owner is an absolute PIA for the architect/engineer etc.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 10:11 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Magee House proposal could re-open sidewalk; Somerset House owner fined

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: January 11, 2019

<snip>

Meanwhile at another vacant heritage building, the city has fined the owner of Somerset House in Centretown for allowing the building to be exposed to the elements.

Jake Gravelle, program manager of bylaw enforcement, said the owner was charged with failing to comply with an order to enclose the exterior of the building to be weather-tight and to restrict the entrance of unauthorized people.

The fine for failing to comply with the order is $550, including the victim surcharge.

Somerset House, at 352 Somerset St., at the corner of Bank Street, has been vacant since a partial collapse in 2007. The city last fall warned the property owner to make sure the building was properly protected from the winter elements.

Property owner Tony Shahrasebi said there was a small opening in an area protected by tarps and it was fixed immediately after being flagged by bylaw. He said the building is heated over the winter.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...se-owner-fined

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Magee House proposal could re-open sidewalk; Somerset House owner fined

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: January 11, 2019

<snip>

Meanwhile at another vacant heritage building, the city has fined the owner of Somerset House in Centretown for allowing the building to be exposed to the elements.

Jake Gravelle, program manager of bylaw enforcement, said the owner was charged with failing to comply with an order to enclose the exterior of the building to be weather-tight and to restrict the entrance of unauthorized people.

The fine for failing to comply with the order is $550, including the victim surcharge.

Somerset House, at 352 Somerset St., at the corner of Bank Street, has been vacant since a partial collapse in 2007. The city last fall warned the property owner to make sure the building was properly protected from the winter elements.

Property owner Tony Shahrasebi said there was a small opening in an area protected by tarps and it was fixed immediately after being flagged by bylaw. He said the building is heated over the winter.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...se-owner-fined
I'm glad the city is applying some "pressure" but that is just pocket change! I wish they had the power to force something to happen at the site or to take ownership of the building and do it themselves.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:21 PM

Wow $550. He must be shaking in his pants.

Him not doing the work was 100% expected. The City has the power to expropriate but they don't want to because it would set a "bad precedent". If you ask me, this sets a bad precedent. It tells these neglectful owners that the City won't do squat to ensure the buildings' preservation, so go ahead and let it rot until it falls down. Then you get to do what you want.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Wow $550. He must be shaking in his pants.

Him not doing the work was 100% expected. The City has the power to expropriate but they don't want to because it would set a "bad precedent". If you ask me, this sets a bad precedent. It tells these neglectful owners that the City won't do squat to ensure the buildings' preservation, so go ahead and let it rot until it falls down. Then you get to do what you want.
Agree 100%. City has to start acting in a way consistent with their values. They say they are in favour of heritage buildings and urban intensification? Then expropriate this crap and sell it to someone who has the means to do it properly....or do it yourselves and make money off the tenants when they arrive.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:16 PM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

we all know this is too logical of a solution for our city council... hence why 12 years later its still the same way it was then, but worst... this guy is having a real laugh through all this. no matter what he does, the city does NOTHING... then again, that's ottawa for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Agree 100%. City has to start acting in a way consistent with their values. They say they are in favour of heritage buildings and urban intensification? Then expropriate this crap and sell it to someone who has the means to do it properly....or do it yourselves and make money off the tenants when they arrive.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Agree 100%. City has to start acting in a way consistent with their values. They say they are in favour of heritage buildings and urban intensification? Then expropriate this crap and sell it to someone who has the means to do it properly....
Well... if there was someone.. anyone.. who has the means to do this properly, I'm sure a deal would have been done a long time ago.

Quote:
...or do it yourselves and make money off the tenants when they arrive.
Well... if there was a business case to be had, I'm sure a deal would have been done a long time ago.

No matter which side one is on, this whole heritage concept obviously needs an overhaul. While I do support preserving some aspects of historical significance (i.e. lets not tear down the Parliament Buildings and build condos), I don't think the city has truly thought through what that means to the owners.... especially the concept of preserving a "facade" while completely rebuilding all the rest. This has simply resulted in multiple examples of lose-lose-lose that go on for years/decades.

Yes, I know the purchasers/owners know what they are getting themselves into, however does it *really* add value to taxpaying citizens by having a brick wall saved? or an historical convent buried where 99.9% of people will never go and see it?

On Broadview the taxpayers (city?) are paying to have an empty and boarded up Broadview School sit there for the next few decades until it rots away. Whats the point? It simply takes up space and looks unsightly. As a taxpayer... is this what you want?

Now lets talk about why 24 Sussex is dragging

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:22 PM

z

Last edited by eltodesukane; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:40 PM

No. And way off topic.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:47 PM

Somerset House update: https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4461509

First time i've actually heard the word "expropriate" be mentioned by an elected official.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:18 AM
Mooderator

I was there in 2007 when they first started partial demolition.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blix61...57603430425200

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I was there in 2007 when they first started partial demolition.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blix61...57603430425200
Fond memories there for me down in the basement level in the fall of 1999 watching England beat Scotland to make it to Euro 2000. Oh, how the sweaties were upset that night as they drank more lagerish swill to numb the pain of losing to the old enemy.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling
5m

"You can write that in the paper...why are they treating me like this? They are treating me like I came from Mars."

More in my story later.

Oh. And he wants to tear down Somerset House for a 9-storey replacement development.
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...38526504218630

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa