HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Burrard Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I can't believe we're talking about height, rather than the schizophrenic tackiness of the proposal. One has to like the design first, before wishing it to be taller.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I totally agree. I somehow find the whole thing has a mediocre quality in terms of design. How to redesign it, though? What are we looking for. Hmmmm. Maybe a Burrard Gateway Fantasy Design thread is in order.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:09 AM

They're a bit schizophrenic. I don't mind the honeycomb feel of the south facade - just because it's so different than any other residential tower in town. If that expression were used on all 4 sides (even with a glass reveal at opposing corners) - I think you'd have a unique tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
More renderings:

South elevation (Drake):

Image credit: Hoodsurf

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 6:14 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

You can have a fantasy discussion all you want, but this is WYSIWYG. There will be slight tweaks of course but unless the UDP absolutely hates it (unlikely) the final product won't be too far of the design shown. The height isn't going to be pushed up for bragging rights either. I'd much rather see time and money spent on improving the streetscape then the skyscrape aspect of the proposal.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:52 AM

Couldn't they at least flip the tall tower around so that you don't see the back of it when you drive over the bridge?
Hopefully there's no exposed mehanicals up there (maybe a window washing crane?)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 7:18 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Couldn't they at least flip the tall tower around so that you don't see the back of it when you drive over the bridge?
Hopefully there's no exposed mehanicals up there (maybe a window washing crane?)
The way it is now, maximizes the preferred North/West views for the majority of the units.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:11 PM

Why wouldn't the developer consider tacking on another 10 metres in height (which would work out to 3 more stories) or so, given that the city is considering allowing a building of generally 500 feet (152.5 metres) on the site? Is this just a more efficient/economical use of the allowable density?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:39 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Why wouldn't the developer consider tacking on another 10 metres in height (which would work out to 3 more stories) or so, given that the city is considering allowing a building of generally 500 feet (152.5 metres) on the site? Is this just a more efficient/economical use of the allowable density?
What makes this really confusing is that according to the report on the city's proposed changes to the General Policy on Higher Buildings (which was released yesterday and posted in the "Viewcone Review" thread), the Burrard Gateway application was for 500 feet. And, in fact, according to the same report, the developer has since submitted a supplementary application for 550 feet.

For convenience, here is the report (*see the top of page 13): http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...heDowntown.pdf

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 12:19 AM

Arrow read the print

Hey these clauses are in APPENDIX B of the above. Maybe we could git 'em on these.

All Higher Buildings must establish a significant and recognizable new benchmark for
architectural creativity and excellence, while making a significant contribution to the beauty and
visual power of the city’s skyline;

Higher buildings should demonstrate leadership and advances in sustainable design and energy
consumption and as a result must be subjected, not only to current review requirements, but also
to review by a Council appointed panel including respected community leaders, notable local and
international design experts, and leaders in sustainable design;

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What makes this really confusing is that according to the report on the city's proposed changes to the General Policy on Higher Buildings (which was released yesterday and posted in the "Viewcone Review" thread), the Burrard Gateway application was for 500 feet. And, in fact, according to the same report, the developer has since submitted a supplementary application for 550 feet.

For convenience, here is the report (*see the top of page 13): http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...heDowntown.pdf
Thanks for the link - it would be nice to see council trade off a ~170 metre tower on this site for a significant community amenity, staff's recommendations notwithstanding.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:13 AM

http://www.vancouversun.com/Skyline+...721/story.html

Here's the link to the story in the Sun, mentioning the new application for 550 ft. Hopefull this means an additional 10% increase for mechanical, etc.
The higher the better.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:27 AM

If you like tall buildings.......

Anti development forces will be out in force on Thursday at 2:00 pm. Vancouver City Hall. Come an tell council what yo think. Or write to them.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:12 AM

I saw them on global news the other day small bunch of people

I don't know what to think of them - can they really see the mountains now? if they are already living downtown

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:49 PM

A yellow memorandum from a Senior Planner to Council posted on the City's website yesterday clarifies that no supplemental rezoning application has been submitted relating to a height increase to 550 feet. Talks have taken place between the City and the developer about a height increase though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:53 PM

Queen E park.

I would find it interesting to note how many people really go to Queen Elizabeth park. I mean the conservatory almost shut down from lack of interest. I think that the last time I was there, where the big viewing area is. Had to be at least 15 years ago. I live downtown and just seem to have little interest in that park, not really bike friendly . The only people there, are mainly tourists. I can't see how we can sacrifce the growth of this city for such a small minority of people who think they have an entitlement to a view they either rent or have bought.

Last edited by yogiderek; Dec 14, 2010 at 9:55 PM. Reason: grammar error

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:02 PM

I went there last year with a bunch of international students.

Here is the ironic thing, the view would be great if a viewing platform were to be built (we know what happened to that proposal) or if the trees were trimmed cant do that in this town!) but as is it is only so so.

Even so, with the view that is there now, myself and all the international students enjoyed the view for looking upon the city!

That is right, they were focussed on the towers, the mountains were a distant second in regards to interest.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/Skyline+...721/story.html

Here's the link to the story in the Sun, mentioning the new application for 550 ft. Hopefull this means an additional 10% increase for mechanical, etc.
The higher the better.
Like Built Form said - at 500ft + 10% for mechanical, they are in essence allowed 550 ft.

If they are allowed 550 ft + 10% =>> 605ft. That would be pretty high.

Mind you, I don't know if that vbox on the "prow" is mechanical or not.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:06 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I went there last year with a bunch of international students.

Here is the ironic thing, the view would be great if a viewing platform were to be built (we know what happened to that proposal) or if the trees were trimmed cant do that in this town!) but as is it is only so so.

Even so, with the view that is there now, myself and all the international students enjoyed the view for looking upon the city!

That is right, they were focussed on the towers, the mountains were a distant second in regards to interest.
Thats why its wierd, The trees right now block the mountains to the west (i.e Burrard Bridge Area and Granville Bridge.

And also have to agree with Queen Elizabeth park being under used, The only time I go there is when its snowing!
But then again the park can't be anything else, I don't know if you're allowed to build on an extinct volcano or not.

(Hmm, Queen Elizabeth Park to be the safe zone during an Earthquake? )

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:47 AM

This is the view from QE Park in May 2009. Those buildings would have to be pretty darned tall and lots of them to block the mountain views!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:02 AM
Vancouverite

What views are to be protected anyways?
All the ShangriLa does in this picture is block out the sprawl of houses in West Van... We can still see the lions and the tip of the mountains....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
What views are to be protected anyways?
All the ShangriLa does in this picture is block out the sprawl of houses in West Van... We can still see the lions and the tip of the mountains....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver