HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 5:20 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I always thought the Raiders should stay in Oakland. Just seems right.

And the Rams should be in LA. Hope they go back to the old yellow and blue uniforms. That'd be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 5:38 AM
World Traveler

^ I agree, it'd be weird to have the Raiders anywhere but Oakland. I'd still support an NFL expansion team in Central Texas, however. Jerry Jones would fight it tooth and nail, of course.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've always thought the Jaguars would be the best bet to move to CenTex.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:40 AM
Closed account

The team will be the San Antonio Raiders. They already have political leadership that wants a stadium. I cannot imagine how much of a failure that notion would be in the Austin city council.

It's not as simple as "build it in San Marcos or New Braunfels"

ATT (Cowboys) Stadium was heavily financed by the city of Arlington. Levi Stadium financing was done through the city of Santa Clara.

The best you can hope for is a stadium around 1604 and 35 at the edge of Bexar County.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:56 AM

Although I think (like most here) that it is exceedingly unlikely, this guy also thinks the Raiders to SA/Austin is still a real possibility:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ob-art-vid-157

Edit -- This is basically the same info already posted by ATX. SIAP.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 9:33 AM
World Traveler

One of the articles posted above said the Raiders' owner had land somewhere between Austin and San Antonio. Of course, the name could still be "San Antonio"...honestly, I'm not sure that most Austinites would care if it were that. I know I wouldn't, but I still think it'd be wise to consider it a shared market.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:41 PM
Austinite

While I would love to have an NFL team relocate to this region, the Raiders are such an iconic franchise. It would be a shame to see them relocate. It's as if Jerry Jones decided to pack up and move the Cowboys to Omaha.

At the end of the day, $$$ talks, so we shall see how this plays out. Doubt they will leave California.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 10:54 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
It would appear that the Raiders will not be moving to Los Angeles:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...te-los-angeles
They have been given one year to figure things out. The Raiders will make another push to set up shop in LA (in Inglewood or Carson) or get a new stadium deal done in the Bay Area (the NFL is offering $100 million toward a new Bay Area stadium if approved in the next 12 months). Same situation goes for the Chargers.

These owners are not stupid. The "money" is in LA and to a lesser extent: London, Mexico City and Toronto - not here in Central Texas. Heck, the value of the Rams tripped over night by moving from St. Louis to LA. The Raiders and Chargers are actually more valuable where they are than they would be here in Central Texas.

This region will not get a NFL team (anytime in the near future)...bottom line. There is a higher chance of you winning the $1.5B+ Powerball tonight than the Raiders coming to Central Texas.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 12:50 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't see London or Mexico City getting a team anytime soon either.

LA teams make the entire league more profitable. The TV money is where it's at.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I don't see London or Mexico City getting a team anytime soon either.

LA teams make the entire league more profitable. The TV money is where it's at.
The Jaguars are being primed to move to London. They've played sellout games in London the last three years and have a contract to play a game there every year until 2020. I'm not going to say likely, but the writing is on the wall. Buffalo and Oakland are holding onto their teams for dear life and could easily both be moved.

The Chargers owners would be crazy not to relocate to LA at this point after watching the value of the Rams triple overnight. Who wouldn't make that financial decision?

And while we're playing this game: Mexico City will get a baseball team before a football team, the Milwaukee Bucks or Sacramento Kings will be moved to Seattle, and Bud Adams will sell Bob McNair the naming rights and we'll have our Houston Oilers back.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:25 AM
World Traveler

And Austin may have the Longhorns switch from NCAA Division I to the NFL...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 7:05 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
They have been given one year to figure things out. The Raiders will make another push to set up shop in LA (in Inglewood or Carson) or get a new stadium deal done in the Bay Area (the NFL is offering $100 million toward a new Bay Area stadium if approved in the next 12 months). Same situation goes for the Chargers.

These owners are not stupid. The "money" is in LA and to a lesser extent: London, Mexico City and Toronto - not here in Central Texas. Heck, the value of the Rams tripped over night by moving from St. Louis to LA. The Raiders and Chargers are actually more valuable where they are than they would be here in Central Texas.

This region will not get a NFL team (anytime in the near future)...bottom line. There is a higher chance of you winning the $1.5B+ Powerball tonight than the Raiders coming to Central Texas.

There will be no Carson stadium. The Rams are moving to Inglewood and the chargers have 1 year to join them. If they turn it down then the Raiders will have the option to move to Inglewood. That is the only scenario in which the Raiders get to L.A. It seems very unlikely that the Chargers will not take that offer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 7:06 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I read that London wants more games, not an actual team. And a team based in London would be at a huge disadvantage competitively. I don't think it'll happen.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:48 PM
Meh

http://smmercury.com/2016/01/15/coul...officials-say/
Quote:
JANUARY 15TH, 2016
Could San Marcos land the Oakland Raiders? ‘A natural play,’ officials say

A sports insider’s report that Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis has bought property between San Antonio and Austin has sparked media speculation that the San Marcos area could be in the running to host a National Football League franchise.

NFL team owners voted on Tuesday to allow the St. Louis Rams to relocate to Los Angeles, ending the Raiders’ bid to move to the nation’s second-largest media market and rekindling San Antonio’s hopes of luring the team to the Interstate 35 corridor. Two days later, former Spurs and Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs told ESPN Radio that he pitched San Antonio to Davis this week and they have “got the whole program put together.”

“The stakes are so high for a city like San Antonio that is on the cusp of being an NFL market that it is worth making every effort. This may be our best chance in decades,” for San Antonio mayor Henry Cisneros told the San Antonio Business Journal.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:42 PM
The Cat's Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Buffalo and Oakland are holding onto their teams for dear life and could easily both be moved.
I wasn't going to waste my time commenting, but I felt you needed to be informed. The Bills aren't going anywhere. They were just sold last year to the highest bidder (1.4 Billion), a guy who also owns our pro hockey team and who's wife if from the Buffalo area.

If you were hoping to have a shot at poaching the Bills, that ship sailed after the bidding closed. Good luck getting a team there when both the Dallas and Texans owners will block it! You think they want to share the market?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I would support a shared team with San Antonio, for sure. I think the name of "South Texas" or "Central Texas" would be better than Austin or San Antonio, if it is indeed a shared team for the market's sake. While Austin is technically South Texas, I always think of everything south of San Antonio as such and consider Austin as Central....I'm okay being technically wrong on that one.
Just to add some fuel to the debate (not sure which side), here is the center of population of Texas over time. Getting very close to Williamson County.

http://texasalmanac.com/sites/defaul...%20Pop2010.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunate4Now View Post
I wasn't going to waste my time commenting, but I felt you needed to be informed. The Bills aren't going anywhere. They were just sold last year to the highest bidder (1.4 Billion), a guy who also owns our pro hockey team and who's wife if from the Buffalo area.

If you were hoping to have a shot at poaching the Bills, that ship sailed after the bidding closed. Good luck getting a team there when both the Dallas and Texans owners will block it! You think they want to share the market?
If things like that mattered, McCombs would have moved the Vikings years ago when he owned them.

Owners are for the most part businessmen. They want viewers, they want stadiums, and they want dollars.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 8:43 PM
The Cat's Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Owners are for the most part businessmen. They want viewers, they want stadiums, and they want dollars.
They also want to win... I certainly agree with your point, but not everyone is kroenke or Jerry.

To further my point, Pegula also had the Toronto deal (playing 1-2 games in Toronto) which was set up by the past owners as a cash grab ended once he took ownership meaning the $$ wasn't as important as losing a competitive advantage.

Anyways I hope for Oakland's sake they get a new owner and St. Louis eventually gets a (NEW) team.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:07 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Just to add some fuel to the debate (not sure which side), here is the center of population of Texas over time. Getting very close to Williamson County.

http://texasalmanac.com/sites/defaul...%20Pop2010.pdf
Great info! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:49 AM
De Lurk Squad

As a Bills fan living in Austin I am glad you commented. We know they are staying put in Western NY. But that map is just silly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin