HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 1:53 PM

The latest shoot for the new TV show, "Cra$h & Burn".

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2386/scanbi.jpg

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:41 PM

^ This was the one filming a few weeks ago in front of The Corktown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Watched Crash and Burn, a good show. All pure Hamilton with bits of Niagara Falls. The couple lives at James St North, the top floor.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:52 PM
Needs more coffee...

I don't have Showcase - are there episodes anywhere online? I've only seen the trailer... great to see so much of Hamilton in that though.

(*edit: - found it - full episodes the day after broadcast on Showcase's website + the official show site here).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:43 AM

i saw that insurance car drive down king once, i thought it was an actual insurance company, wonder if they were filming then?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 10:12 PM

hmmm, didn't know where else to post this and i didn't want to create a new thread for it...But did anyone watch Saturday Night Live last night? they had a skit where they started off with a shot of Copps Coliseum from York Blvd, which i thought was pretty cool and strange at the same time.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRM View Post
hmmm, didn't know where else to post this and i didn't want to create a new thread for it...But did anyone watch Saturday Night Live last night? they had a skit where they started off with a shot of Copps Coliseum from York Blvd, which i thought was pretty cool and strange at the same time.
Now that's cool.

Do you know what skit it was? (so I can find it easier).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:59 AM
It's Hammer Time

From khristopher

Edited the title by the way.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:15 PM
Hammer'd

Very weird of them to use Copps.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:14 PM

I suspect it was used since they needed a sporting venue that has an 80's look to it. So I guess it's not that big a compliment, but it's still pretty neat nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:51 PM

I also took a look at Cra$h and Burn. I was entertained. A sampling of the locations I noticed. Under the skyway, Burlington Street, James North, More shots of the skyway coming back from commercials, there's a trio of appartment buildings that I think are over in the Barton/Centenial Area. Someone could correct me if they saw the episode.

As I side note, I've also seen the stock footage of Copps from York boulevard in an episode of the short lived Fox Comedy "The War at Home".

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 6:05 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

that skit was funny. In fact that was one of the funniest shows of the year.

I think it was some stock footage they shot and keep on hand. Since it does look like 1989.. not much has changed. but the new Fed building wasn't built yet.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 7:10 PM
Closed account

Men With Brooms II currently filming at the Granite Club in Dundas.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Men With Brooms II currently filming at the Granite Club in Dundas.
Lance (Pastime) told me about that last night. He was going to be on set today.

I commented how nice it was that Paul Gross is using Hamilton so much. He's also the Executive Producer for Cra$h and Burn.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 12:23 AM
It's Hammer Time

Desperate Union - Surrender

Video Link

"Shot in the dirtiest and most beautiful parts Hamilton"

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 5:13 AM

i stumbled upon the shoot for this video. the nighttime forest scenes are from the wooded areas around felkers falls. i guess the waterfalls and other related shots are too.. although im not a felkerologist and im not 100% about that
the part where they are climbing through a chasm was shot in a fake chasm in the felkers falls parking lot

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 6:39 AM

In the last week I've gotten hooked on Cra$h & Burn too. I caught one episode on Showcase and ended up watching the rest online, surprisingly, its really good.

It's cool watching a show that not only is filmed in Hamilton, but is actually set in Hamilton instead of pretending its some other city.

Also, it's very well put together (you don't notice that you're watching a "Showcase Original" and not something out of one of the big American studios). I also like Nissan's pretty subtle use of product placement.

If you haven't checked it out yet, its definitely worth a look.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 7:08 PM

I've watched the first 5 episodes of Cra$h and Burn and can recommend it. Note that I don't watch much TV and when I do it's a usually a big name show from the cable channels. I watched every episode of The Sopranos and I plan to watch The Wire someday. Other hour long shows I've watched are Star Trek the Next Generation and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (don't laugh, it's a great show in many ways).

Cra$h and Burn is put together pretty well, it looks very professional. It has a somewhat dark tone reminiscent of a good crime drama but without the tired police angle.
It's a serial so you have to watch all the episodes in order. The first episode was weak and I wasn't sure if I could watch another. It seemed to start out as one of those shallow over-stylized and far fetched shows like the horrible CSI series, but the storylines started coming together in the second episode and I was compelled to watch another episode. I was skeptical of a show about insurance, but the writers have managed to create some complex plot situations, mainly surrounding various types of insurance fraud and organized crime, but also office politics.

The acting is generally good, however, one of the main characters is very weak (Lucia). At first I thought the Russian mobster (Korkov) was cheesy, stereotypical, and two dimensional, but he and his ridiculous appearance start to grow on you and fit the character well. Other characters are starting to come into their own as well, which is difficult at the beginning of a series. So far the series is both plot and character driven, which it needs to be for me to watch because just doing one isn't good enough these days. The overarching character themes are loneliness, trust, and the struggle to overcome personal demons.

I really like the way they use Hamilton, throwing in some local references and a lot of little things that give the city its own character ("Tabbies fan?" "that's way out on the Mountain!" "oskee wee wee"). There are a lot of great shots of the city, especially the low aerials showing various parts of the city. Hamilton is portrayed as a gritty, socially complex city--complex in the sense of intertwining ethnic communities and less-than-formal business relationships--which is fairly close to reality and something in common with other older cities on the economic downslide. The organic and messy social milieu of a city like Hamilton is part of what gives it character (for better or worse).

So, I'm actually going to keep watching. Would I watch the show if it didn't have Hamilton in it? Maybe, maybe not. I'm interested to see if the show catches on and survives for a second season.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 4:29 PM

Cra$h & Burn - Hamilton

Check out our CSI: Hamilton trailer for Cra$h & Burn!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_crF36y_Y

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 10:07 PM

Nice. I have to get around to watching this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation