HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
Zoning.

See: 60th & Glisan (which is actually being considered for rezoning)
Actually, much of east portland is already zoned for similarly high densities - at least at max stations. rents and sales prices are not high enough to support the costs of high density development yet as they are along mississippi and other relatively close-in locations.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:15 AM

The Patton on Interstate. Not bad for affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:22 AM
A before E

the Patton looks good, oddly enough, this is the first time I have seen or heard of this building....plus I am never in that area, so the chances of me ever driving past it would be pretty slim.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:54 AM

Multiple proposed and u/c developments in N and NE:

Williams and Beech:

Info here.

Designed by LRS, which is never a good sign. I was upset when the suburban developer demolished the old building that was there, as decrepit as it was. One of the last buildings left from the old urban corridor that stretched north from Russell. Incidentally, I noticed that the company that was going to develop the "Bakery Blocks" on Fremont between Williams and Vancouver is now trying to sell the vacant lot they created.

Williams and Shaver:

PDF here.

Involves moving a building from SW Harrison (!). Works Partnership. I believe this is the deal involving the United Bicycle Institute. Looks U/C.

4-story mixed-use project on Williams between Failing and Shaver, also designed by Works:

PDF here.

There's also the Shoebox Lofts across the street (I think they've been mentioned here before):

PDF here.

Two on Alberta:

one at 14th

Alberta Central at 17th. U/C.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 2:03 AM

Whoa!!! I just realized that the building Works wants to move to Williams and Shaver is the Cyan leasing office! They must be taking it apart and reconstructing it up there -- that is awesome.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Whoa!!! I just realized that the building Works wants to move to Williams and Shaver is the Cyan leasing office! They must be taking it apart and reconstructing it up there -- that is awesome.
I saw them taking it apart on Friday. Looked like everything was gone from inside already!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 4:17 PM

Is it just me, or is that weird? They're just completing the Cyan. Don't they have to LEASE IT now? Isn't that what the leasing office is for? And why would they move a brand new building? And what would go in its place?

Aside from that, I'm glad to see Works is getting so much work!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:54 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

It wasn't the leasing office, it was the condo sales office.

As far as the Patton, very colorful! I guess it answers my question as to whether Portland passed the upzoning for the Interstate corridor.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
It wasn't the leasing office, it was the condo sales office.

As far as the Patton, very colorful! I guess it answers my question as to whether Portland passed the upzoning for the Interstate corridor.
It was temporariliy the leasing office but I believe they have since moved into the Cyan building now that it's completed.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 9:12 PM

In their demolition permit it was referred to as a "leasing office" and I just repeated that without further research.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentij View Post
Is it just me, or is that weird? They're just completing the Cyan. Don't they have to LEASE IT now? Isn't that what the leasing office is for? And why would they move a brand new building? And what would go in its place?
It is certainly not normal, but I'm not sure that I would call it weird. Reusing the building in a new location is a fantastic piece of recycling!

The leasing office is now attached to the lobby. Indeed, this building was originally a condo sales office. Once the units were sold, the sales office would have been unnecessary in the cyan building itself. As an apartment building, it will require a leasing office in the building permanently.

Moving the building allows the structure and skin to be reused to another purpose. This is a much less wasteful process than demolition and removal.

This block is part of a three block master plan, which could eventually see more housing. Cyan was the first block to be developed, the sustainability center could be the second, and the parking lot block would be the final piece. Until it is developed though, it will likely remain a parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
Until it is developed though, it will likely remain a parking lot.
Hmmm... I'm certainly not proposing that it should have been demolished, I just thought that it was the best part of the Cyan. I also consider moving a house to be rather extreme and more appropriate for preserving a historic building. After all, it seems pretty Las Vegas to build a building you know you are going to move in a year. (Granted, maybe it would have been a sales office that they now don't need. It still doesn't seem completely useless.) I think it would have made a great retail spot where it was. I just hope they have a better plan than a parking lot. Those things have a habit of sticking around way past their welcome...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
It is certainly not normal, but I'm not sure that I would call it weird.
BTW: As a lawyer, I love this parsing of language here. It sounds like you're in the process of lying to a jury.

Keep Portland weird.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 6:30 AM

This sounds interesting; it's at 3935 N Williams.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 4:53 PM

^ Kind of looks "Burnside Rocketish" Looks to be some quality infill.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentij View Post
BTW: As a lawyer, I love this parsing of language here. It sounds like you're in the process of lying to a jury.

Keep Portland weird.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be slippery. I'll admit that deconstruction and reconstruction isn't very common. I guess that I have seen temporary buildings come and go before and I don't see it as weird. This building was a lot nicer than your average temporary structure though.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
That is the same project by Works Partnership whose LUR application was posted earlier. No elevator is an interesting concept.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:52 AM

Is the leaf mural on the side of the Eco-flats really going up or was that just for the rendering?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:24 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
The scale and massing are great, and the green features are admirable, but random windows? Again? Does EVERYTHING now have to have random windows? Is this the new post-modernism? Trendy now, but dated in ten years.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:24 PM

I'm pretty sure most of the projects recently constructed (or on the books) will be dated in ten years...I can see it now "what, another bland, boxy mid-rise, what were they thinking?" Most of our new construction is practically interchangeable...we need some new blood or something

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland