Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 19, 2005, 7:41 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Bridge construction

Higher and wider

Huntsville bridge to provide more clearance for Tennessee River boat traffic

(09/01/2005)
By Sandra Bearden
The Tennessee River bridge near Huntsville, which will replace an obsolete relic built in 1931, will provide nearly three times the clearance of the existing bridge.

After more than 70 years in business, there's not much in the way of bridge-building that managers for Scott Bridge Co. haven't seen. Then came the Tennessee River bridge on U. S. Highway 231 at Huntsville.

"The river got so high last winter that it was necessary to put our office buildings on stilts," said Chuck Davis, vice president of engineering for the firm, based in Opelika, Ala.

Davis said that the Tennessee River experienced its third-worst flooding in history in December, cresting 17 ft. above normal level, so the steel supports had to be high enough and strong enough to withstand torrential rains and swift river currents.

River flooding pushed the expected completion date back six months to summer 2006.
David said Scott Bridge took over the project from another company that was unable to complete the job. The current contract costs $18 million.

The 56-ft.-wide bridge will be an improvement over the northbound structure now in use, which is a functionally obsolete relic completed in 1931 with a total two-lane width of 19 ft., 10 in.

Johnny L. Harris, division engineer for the Alabama Department of Transportation, said that many drivers hug the inside line and fear to pass when crossing the old bridge.

"Our average daily traffic over the northbound and (newer) southbound bridges is now about 22,600 vehicles," Harris said. "When the northbound bridge was built, traffic flow may have been 600 vehicles daily, going at much slower speeds."

Harris said plans are also under way to replace the southbound bridge, completed in 1965 and itself showing some signs of age. ALDOT will first shift traffic from the 75-year-old bridge to the new structure and then demolish the old bridge.

Eventually, a new bridge carrying northbound traffic will be built in that location and Scott's project will become southbound.

"The plan will take several years to complete, but when finished each new bridge will carry three lanes of traffic," Harris said. The new capacity will help meet future needs in fast-growing Huntsville, where the metropolitan population is now about 350,000.

Harris added that the new designs also will benefit the area's busy commercial and recreational boating traffic. Channel clearance will be nearly three times the 25-ft. clearance for the 1931 bridge.

River flooding wasn't the only problem plaguing Scott Bridge workers early in the job.

"When we assumed the job in March 2004, we began cofferdam construction," Davis said. "Plans called for building six cofferdams 52 ft. by 46 ft. by 40 ft. feet deep, using structural steel footings on rock. But in two of the six we couldn't find suitable layers of supporting rocks, so we had to drive pilings and convert the foundations from rock footings to pile footings."

Crews constructed the cofferdams with rock footings by using tremie pipes to place concrete underwater. That job was followed by pier construction.

"Piers are massive and heavily reinforced," Davis said. "Each pier is built to withstand the impact of a 1,500-kip (750-ton) river barge."

The toughest part of the project thus far has been setting the reinforcing cages inside the cofferdams.

"The cages were extremely heavy - totaling about 170 tons of steel," Davis said. "We used a 230-ton crane and a 150-ton crane, both mounted on 50- by 150-ft. barges, to set the cages in place."

In May, Scott's work crews began erecting steel girders to span the river. A three-span, continuous 975-ft. unit consists of two 300-ft. side spans and a 375-ft. main span across the navigational channel, providing a 66-ft. vertical navigational clearance. Another three-span, continuous unit is 600 ft. long. The 12-ft.-deep girders, manufactured by Carolina Steel Corp. of Montgomery, are trucked to the site and offloaded onto construction barges.

After completing erection of the steel spans, Scott employees placed metal deck forms and poured the concrete decking for the bridge. The deck will be completed this fall.

By the time Scott workers complete the job, the project will have consumed 1,500 tons of reinforcing steel, 3,700 tons of structural steel and 16,000 cu. yds. of concrete for the substructure, superstructure and deck.

Magnolia Steel of Meridian, Miss., is supplying the reinforcing steel and Carolina Steel Corp. of Montgomery is trucking in the structural steel. The concrete supplier is Alabama Concrete of Huntsville.

When the new bridge is completed, Scott will then demolish the 1931 bridge.

"We'll sell the steel to a scrapper and dispose of the concrete," Davis said. APAC-Alabama is in the process of constructing approaches to the new bridge.

the relic... to bad it can't be saved or used elsewhere

Old Posted Oct 19, 2005, 10:01 PM
Burming Hammer

I have crossed the 1930s bridge many times growing up in Huntsville. It's a brave soul that attempts to pass another car on it. Most drivers (including myself) straddle both lanes as soon as they get on the bridge.

I am glad to see more glass being added to the front of the SCI Building. The old structure did look a bit dated.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2005, 4:51 PM
Huntsville the star of AL

Larger Hospital and taller...

Hospital expanding again
Saturday, October 22, 2005
By STEVE DOYLE
State OKs larger ER, more rooms in $47M project

Huntsville Hospital is growing once again.

Earlier this week, the state Certificate of Need Review Board OK'd the nonprofit hospital's $47 million plan to build a large patient tower and more than double the size of its main emergency room.

Officials hope to have the supersized ER and four-story patient wing finished by the end of 2006.

"I think the community looks at the emergency room as the front door of the hospital," spokesman Burr Ingram said Friday. "We very much need to expand it to take care of the volume of patients we're seeing."

A decade ago, Huntsville Hospital's ER treated about 60,000 patients a year. Now at 90,000 patients and growing, it's the busiest emergency room in Alabama - a blur of broken bones, wreck victims and heart attack patients.

The improved emergency department would have more of everything: Treatment rooms (80, up from 56); trauma bays (six, up from four).

The new patient tower, featuring 84 private rooms, will crown a hospital parking garage under construction on Madison Street. Ingram said the project will allow the hospital to convert its remaining shared rooms to private.

When the dust settles, there will be 746 total patient beds between the main hospital and the adjacent Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children. The hospital is licensed by the state to have up to 881 beds.

Robins & Morton Group, a Birmingham-based commercial contractor, will do the construction work. The hospital plans to pay for the project with a combination of borrowed money and cash on hand, Ingram said.

Chief Executive Joe Austin previously estimated it would cost the hospital an extra $7 million a year to run the larger emergency room and new patient wing.

This is the latest notch in a hospital growth spurt that started in 1999 with the construction of two parking garages, two professional office buildings and an elevated tram. The hospital has expanded its Madison Medical Park, built two members-only fitness centers and turned Huntsville Hospital East into a women's and children's hospital.

Metro area ...417,593 and growing..

Old Posted Oct 23, 2005, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000
I have crossed the 1930s bridge many times growing up in Huntsville. It's a brave soul that attempts to pass another car on it. Most drivers (including myself) straddle both lanes as soon as they get on the bridge.

I am glad to see more glass being added to the front of the SCI Building. The old structure did look a bit dated.
I've passed people before on that bridge, but you really have to be relaxed and alert at the same time. A small car like mine helps as well.

I'm always a bit concerned that the bridge will collapse whenever I cross it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 2:16 AM
Burming Hammer

Here are a couple of update pics I took this afternoon:

Downtown is really seeing some nice changes. I think I counted 4 cranes strung out across the skyline! I took a bunch of photos in and around Big Spring Park... I might try to post a new thread later when I can get them up. Maybe a post to celebrate Huntsville's 200th birthday.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 2:56 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Good pics!

TimCity
yeah a lot of activity and more is on the way.
In the bottom photo (It looks just like the rendering) on the extreme left you can see the garage expansion, 3 more levels
I believe. One of the cranes is for it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 4:58 PM
Huntsville the star of AL

Great pics...

Good job HSV TIGER.... you beat me to the punch on getting some pics taken and posted on here. The First American Bank building is yet to receive it's logo near the top but yes that building looks like the rendering and is a very nice addition to downtown. The new Dynetics building kinda looks like the First American Bank building (Big Spring Summit). There are 7 cranes in the downtown area. 2 at the new metro jail and 1 at the Embassy Suites, 2 at the Summit site, 1 at 301 condo tower, 1 at the the Hospital. The hospital is about ready to add the 4 story tower on top of the 6 level parking garage here soon.

Metro area ...417,593 and growing..

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:30 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Vipers return

The Tennessee Valley Vipers will return for the 2006 season in the arenafootball2 league after sitting out last season. HSV Sports, LLC, who own and operate the Huntsville Havoc of the Southern Professional Hockey League, will also own and operate the Vipers af2 team.

"It is very important to recognize that it was this unique relationship, between the Havoc and the VBC, that brought back hockey and also contributed to stabilizing the Southern Professional Hockey League in Huntsville last season," HSV Sports President, Keith Jeffries, said. "And it is this successful foundation of hockey that leads me to believe the same success can be achieved with Vipers football."

"For the past several weeks the Huntsville Havoc and the Von Braun Center have searched for the solution to keeping football in the Tennessee Valley," Von Braun Center Executive Director, Ron Evans, said. "We decided the best chance for success was to have Keith Jeffries and the Havoc operation involved. And as we have done in hockey, we told Keith if he would stick his neck out, the VBC would stick ours out with him."

The Vipers were one of the most successful teams in af2 from 2000-2004 both on the field and in the stands. Tennessee Valley put together a 63-17 record from 2000-2004, 34-6 at home and 29-11 on the road.

The organization currently ranks first in af2 history in winning percentage (78.8), third in all-time wins (63), second in post-season appearances (5), third in home wins (34) and third in road wins (29). They are also tied for the most divisional titles with four

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 1:14 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Any similarity?

This is what happens when you have the same architect on a
developers separate projects. These two buildings are several
blocks away. They are both very nice buildings but the architect
could have been more creative. Wonder what a different architect would have done for a comparison.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 8:42 PM
America's Mars Rocket

BRAC final

this affects many communities across the country but here
locally...
BRAC gets final OK
The Base Realignment and Closure Commission recommendations made in May were approved by the U.S. House this morning, according to House aides and news reports.

This clears the way for the moves of several major military units and commands - including the Army Material Command and a majority of the Missile Defense Agency - to Huntsville's Redstone Arsenal. This could bring as many as 5,000 jobs to North Alabama.

The final House vote was 324-85 to reject a measure that would have killed the BRAC recommendations. There is no measure in the Senate to kill the BRAC bill.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2005, 7:19 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Re: Alabama A&M selects

[QUOTE=HSVTiger ]a new quality President.
Expect great things from this University
Maybe he will purge it of deadwoods and hanger ons.
His relationship with Marshall Space Flight Center will be interesting. Universities are such a key element in a cities growth.
A future enrollment of 10-12,000 is not out of reach, not to mention new developments in this college town area of Huntsville.
A&M Board Selects Earls as 10th President

Huntsville, Ala. ---- Following a one-hour executive session, Alabama A&M University’s Board of Trustees today returned to a packed Clyde Foster Multipurpose Room to hand over the realm of the 130-year-old school to a top NASA center administrator.

Dr. Julian Manly Earls, director of the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, since 2003, has been named AAMU’s tenth president. His affiliation with the Center dates back to 1968. Dr. Virginia Caples, a long-time AAMU administrator and provost/vice president for academic affairs, served as interim president before and after Dr. John T. Gibson’s nine-year presidency, which ended in February.
.” Earls earned the B.S. degree in physics in 1964 from Norfolk State University (Va.). He went on to receive the M.S. degree in 1966 in radiation biology from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. He later earned the Ph.D. degree in environmental health from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Start Over
Earls turns down top job at A&M
Dr. Julian Earls, the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees’ unanimous choice to become the school’s next president, has turned the job down, according to Clinton Johnson, president pro tem of the board.

Johnson said this morning he is “very, very disappointed” and would confer with trustees later this week to decide whether to offer the post to one of the other two finalists in the seven-month long presidential search, or to begin anew.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 4:33 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Now Bypass work

Maybe before we all die, it's been in design/engineering stage for 15 years. Some construction is scheduled to begin next year.
Connects I-565 with South Parkway at the Tennesse River and eventually will be part of the Memphis,Huntsville,Atlanta expressway. Possible future I-30 something maybe.

Mayor Spencer said the bypass is crucial for the increased traffic demands the new jobs on Redstone Arsenal are expected to create. The project will require state and local matching money. The multimillion-dollar bypass, dubbed Patriot Parkway, would improve access to and around Redstone to office buildings that would house the new defense workers.

U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, said last week that he and U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Tuscaloosa, plan to meet soon with the state Department of Transportation over money for the highway. A federal highway bill approved in July authorized $2.4 million for planning and engineering work on the bypass.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 7:30 PM

^Just remember; 565 was on the design board for 20 years, and then BAM! from about 1986 until the end of 1991; continuous construction on that 20 miles of road from I-65 to Highway 72 at Chapman Mountain.

I can remember 1993 like it was yesterday when the Southern Bypass was proposed; I've actually asked Bud Cramer time and time again on Where's the Money to get the Bypass started? When's it gonna get rolling?

So far he kept sticking to a 2006 start date; and that's what I'm holding him to.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 8:19 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Cramer is dead on

ALDOT should be abolished or left to maintance and private industry sourced to build roads..this article from back in the spring.

ATHENS — U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, says the state has enough federal funds to build an interchange at Interstate 65 near Tanner if it doesn't "sit on the money."

Cramer met with local leaders at the interstate overpass on Huntsville-Browns Ferry Road, the proposed location of a $5.5-million interchange.

He said the 2005 Fiscal Omnibus Appropriations Bill and Transportation Equity Act includes $2 million for the project. Cramer, a member of the House Appropriations Committee, previously secured $2.5 million in federal money.

"We need to keep pressure on the Alabama Department of Transportation because this should finish funding for it," Cramer said. "If the state waits one to two years to begin construction, the cost could go up."

Cramer said ALDOT was "often a frustrating body for me."

"I look for opportunities to earmark funds to enhance their budget," he said. "They will move on some projects like Keller Bridge but delay on others like four-laning (U.S.) 72 in Jackson County."

ALDOT Division Engineer Johnny Harris said construction is more than a year away. He said a consultant is doing the engineering design, and the Federal Highway Administration soon will review environmental studies and the design.

"We certainly appreciate and understand the congressman's frustration," Harris said. "We absolutely appreciate him securing funds for us, but we have so many hoops we go through to get a project approved."

Harris said state and federal requirements include feasibility and environmental studies and preliminary design work.

"We have to make sure there will be no negative impact on wetlands or endangered species, or even wildflowers," Harris said. "In this case, there is nothing major, but it still must be reviewed."

Harris said once the preliminary design is complete, the state can identify right of way needs. Obtaining rights of way should begin by the end of this year or early 2006.

"Construction would begin 12 months after that," he said. "Construction will probably take 1½ to two years."

Cramer said the interchange is necessary for industrial and residential development.

He said industries have expressed interest in the site, which is now farmland.

Cramer said he expressed the need to "act fast" to Gov. Bob Riley.

"A sit-down with the Department of Transportation and myself may also be overdue," he said. "I'm just not understanding their reasons on why they don't move on some projects."

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 10:39 PM

It sounds like ALDOT is no better for y'all than it is for us.
They even had the gall to blame long delays on one of our road projects this year on "weather," even though it has been mostly dry for months. Their delays have driven up our local matching funds on just that one project by $millions.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 2:38 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Pictures Downtown

on a spectacular fall day

Embassy Suite

Big Spring Summit

Mid Rise Density!

Embassy will connect to Von Braun Center South Hall

Downtown Sunset

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 2:47 PM
Burming Hammer

nice pics! that downtown sunset pic is especially nice.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 2:50 PM

Nice !

My brother will be touring Adtran in a couple of weeks, and I don't know yet if things will work out where I can get a ride with him to check out Huntsville myself, but it looks from those photos like the city is changing rapidly.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 2:55 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Thanks Guys!

Here is a shot of one of Adtrans building, I like the maple trees

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 4:25 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Adtran aerial

and an overall shot of the Adtran complex, the buildings on the fringes are other companies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast