HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 3:21 AM
BANNED

Credit: User name 'Lucybear'; http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7532469

I would love to be able to visit George's Island during a clear summer day. This photo is outdated. I wonder how she looks with the Vic and NS Power Office.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:34 AM

The new Hope Avenue Extension looks great!

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 23, 2011 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 4:52 AM

What a great viewing spot - I'll have to check it out when I'm back at Christmas!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 12:58 PM

It has made the intersection at the offramp from the Circ very treacherous though. Design seems to put cross-traffic right on top of you.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 10:06 PM

Awsome pics, what a beautiful skyline we have for a city of 400 000 (and about to grow substatialy)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
Awsome pics, what a beautiful skyline we have for a city of 400 000 (and about to grow substatialy)
already, in a few years 400 001 because I will come

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:18 AM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 11:24 AM

I was up in Juno Tower for a meeting yesterday. Really cool perspective on the city up there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 8:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

I love this angle! The Citadel looks quite powerful, with an Atlantic Ocean background, being the centre amongst all that divided infrastructure. I love how even more buildings will soon be cropping up around the hill.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 12:50 PM

It does definitely give a different perspective on the city and helps to highlight the Citadel as the defining feature. Downtown just looks tiny compared to it.

I really also love the Trillium from this perspective. I wish I had had time to get more pics when it was later in the day.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It does definitely give a different perspective on the city and helps to highlight the Citadel as the defining feature. Downtown just looks tiny compared to it.

I really also love the Trillium from this perspective. I wish I had had time to get more pics when it was later in the day.
I'm interested in what kind of picture would be produced during dawn or dusk. I think this angle, during a sunset, would be gold.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 12:27 PM

Was in the top of the LSC yesterday and couldn't resist snapping a few pics.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Was in the top of the LSC yesterday and couldn't resist snapping a few pics.

Oh Quinpool... Such the perfect spot for future high-rises: not downtown, central location of the peninsula (itself being central within HRM), existing infrastructure and business establishments...

Aside from the downtown--and aside from those god damned business parks--I'm very hopeful for improvements for the Quinpool area.

Quote:
Imagine this view, but with the Skye towers.

Even though they'd be a great distance away, you'd still be able to observe them--slightly. The LSC is essentially the other end of the peninsula! It would be a very cool effect to have such a viewable landmark, allowing people at ground level more depth perception over the mass of the peninsula on which they are.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Oh Quinpool... Such the perfect spot for future high-rises: not downtown, central location of the peninsula (itself being central within HRM), existing infrastructure and business establishments...

Imagine this view, but with the Skye towers.

Even though they'd be a great distance away, you'd still be able to observe them--slightly. The LSC is essentially the other end of the peninsula! It would be a very cool effect to have such a viewable landmark, allowing people at ground level more depth perception over the mass of the peninsula on which they are.
I think you may be wrong on your point about skye. If the angle is right, it would fall just behind the Paramount (or is it the Martello) that you can see left of the Trillium and their presence in that location would be profound despite the grade change from SGR to Hollis Street. They would stand out - at least I think.

As for your comment on Quinpool - totally agree and have been on board with that idea for years. I'm fearful of the regional core's draft land use pattern - I don't think it thinks enough about the land use around Quinpool, let alone for Quinpool itself. There seems to be a lot of use of the Toronto Avenue's Document as a tool to help with the regional core, but the typologies for Quinpool wouldn't be high rise - it would be medium rise, if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think you may be wrong on your point about skye. If the angle is right, it would fall just behind the Paramount (or is it the Martello) that you can see left of the Trillium and their presence in that location would be profound despite the grade change from SGR to Hollis Street. They would stand out - at least I think.
It's entirely possible.

I'm betting the towers are tall enough to see.
To the far left of this picture is Barrington Tower, is it not?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 8:17 PM
we built this city

Its funny, Halifax has so many trees its hard to tell that those are legit urban neighborhoods in between and not wooded areas.

We need more tall apartment buildings.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 9:09 PM
BANNED

We need more high-rises, yes. But let's keep our trees, please. Halifax's tree canope is to be admired.

Dense plantations of trees also provide a sharp contrast against clusters of buildings.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:19 PM

Downtown ,

Taken by a friend of mine .

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:44 PM

Sorry, my bad. I got a couple buildings mixed up. You can see Vic Park, then to the left, the two taller buildings are the Dal Building on College, the condo building at the corner of Summer/SGR then the Martello/Paramount.

The buildings on the far left corner are the Professional Centre (Corner SGR/Robie) and condos in the blocks behind it leading up to the Public Gardens.

Trees should be a mechanism to achieve height - part of a bonusing scheme. If the developer wants more height, they have to plant street trees or provide a portion of their property for sidewalk cafes. NYC does that in their zoning code. I have their zoning handbook, it's quite interesting.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The buildings on the far left corner are the Professional Centre (Corner SGR/Robie) and condos in the blocks behind it leading up to the Public Gardens.
To the left of the Professional Centre are the masts of Citadel Hill, and to the left of this is Barrington Tower...or something!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos