HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:05 AM

Fitzroy St update

Fitzroy St. facing towards the corner of University and Fitzroy Street.

Note the brown building on the corner. Formerly the old Playhouse, now a new
Irish pub called The Triangle. My wife and I were there yesterday and it's completely renovated and a very nice spot. I took these two shots last evening with my cell phone.

I can't believe the construction here in Charlottetown. It just keeps coming, almost a new thing everyday.

Last edited by braymondg; Jun 23, 2009 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is that the Old Triangle? They have locations in both Moncton and Halifax. Of course it could be Triangles......but that's the gay bar here in Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 12:37 PM

The Old Triangle

MonctonRad,

Sorry, "THE OLD TRIANGLE". It's part of a chain I guess but from an architectural perspective, I'm glad to see that building fixed up so nice to blend in with the new buildings around it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
MonctonRad,

Sorry, "THE OLD TRIANGLE". It's part of a chain I guess but from an architectural perspective, I'm glad to see that building fixed up so nice to blend in with the new buildings around it.
There's a gorgeous Old Triangle here in Hali in one of the rebuilt heritage buildings on Bedford Row.

Fitsroy is looking good

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 3:18 AM

Yes, lots of things are finally happening here.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:25 AM

Charlottetown Fitzroy St & Hotel updates

Here are a couple of photos ,

Fitzroy St building, Coming along nicely.

And the Hotel on Grafton St. Demolition has begun and the careful removal of the old stone facade.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:28 PM

No towers for Stratford

No towers for Stratford

NATHAN ROCHFORD
The Guardian

Poor economic conditions have been blamed for a delay in the construction of Stratford Towers Condominiums.
With construction slated for a June start date, the $12-million project included four eight-storey towers to be built along the Stratford waterfront and was expected to be completed by fall 2010.
However, because of recent market conditions potential purchasers have decided against selling their existing properties, thus putting a halt on the project.
News of the delay, released in a press release by Stratford Towers Condominiums, came as a shock to Stratford Mayor Kevin Jenkins.
Jenkins said while the town had no financial investment in the project itself it was something council had approved and was looking forward to as part of the town’s plan to build up the waterfront.
“It would be a shame if it didn’t go ahead,” he said Wednesday after Stratford’s monthly meeting. “We’ve invested a substantial amount of time in building up the waterfront and developing it.”
Upon completion, the towers would house units which could be purchased for around $350,000 to $400,000 each, depending on the type. The towers would be the first high-rise residential complexes to be built on P.E.I.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 10:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's too bad, this would have made a very impressive addition to the skyline as viewed from the Charlottetown waterfront.

Perhaps the project will get resurrected after the recession is over........There are also a couple of large condo/apartment projects proposed here in Moncton which seem to be temporarily AWOL. Things may be different in another 12-18 months.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 1:22 AM

Smile Charlottetown Condo Development Begins

Charlottetown Condo Development Begins

Workers have begun driving steel piles into the ground at this site.
Photos will follow.
What I don't understand is why they cancelled the Stratford Towers project across
the harbour and are going forward with this one. ??.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 2:01 PM

Condo project finally begins

Condo project finally begins

DAVE STEWART
The Guardian

It’s not quite as big as he wanted but Newfoundland and Labrador developer Paul Madden says he is happy his condominium project on Charlottetown’s waterfront is finally underway.
“We’re under construction,’’ Madden said in a telephone interview this week from St. John’s. “I’m glad it’s going ahead.’’
Madden went to the City of Charlottetown last year with a proposal to erect two buildings with a footprint of 12,000 square feet — measuring 81,000 square feet in total. Council rejected that idea, pointing out it approved in April 2006 rules for that exact location at the bottom of Prince Street that called for one 36,000-square-foot building.
Madden went back to the drawing board and complied.
It won’t be the 53 units he had planned. It will now come in at 21 units, featuring amenities such as a 5,000-square-foot spa and indoor parking.
He expects to have people living in the building by next May or June. Bill Chandler is the architect on the project, while Highfield Construction is handling the actual construction.
In a bit of a twist, the failure of the Stratford Towers project to go ahead might just benefit Madden.
Madden said the building will be heated with the help of P.E.I. Energy Systems, the site formerly known as the Trigen/Energy From Waste plant, and that could affect condo prices.

------

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 7:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm a little ticked that city council insisted that the project be downsized. That truly is thinking small. Charlottetown can do better than that.

By indoor parking, I presume they mean underground. They had better make sure the parking garage is completely waterproofed! The storm tides down there can get pretty high.........

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 4:58 PM

I'm disappointed they didn't go with a taller building. Apparently the city council had a lot of flak from the residences in the area. But yet,
they give the ok for Homburg to build a 10 floor building.
I was reading the Halifax thread and they can also get ther fair share of grief over there from a bunch of anti high rise/heritage misfits. If they live downtown one can expect developments like this.
They should have ok'ed the Stratford Towers on the Charlottetown side. HAHA!! Imagine the crying then.
These low level condo buildings prove no good for sales. The Northtumberland Condos on Pownal St is 5 stories and can barely see over the trees. They are having trouble selling those. If they would have allowed 12 stories, that would guarantee most with a commanding view of the harbour and city. Views sell, just look at Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:08 PM

Smile Holland College announces ambitious $40-million expansion

Holland College announces ambitious $40-million expansion

The Guardian

Holland College has announced a $40-million plan that will transform the east end of Charlottetown.

Three new buildings will be constructed on a parcel of land adjacent to its existing Charlottetown centre. The province already announced plans for the Centre for Applied Science and Technology. Next to that will be the Centre for Community Engagement and a major expansion to Glendenning Hall, Holland College's residence. (See map below for details on where each building will be located.)

Premier Robert Ghiz and Holland College president Brian McMillan unveiled the plans today at a news conference.

The older wings of the Charlottetown Centre will also be renovated.

The province committed $8.5 million for the first phase of the expansion announced in early June which includes the construction of a $17 million Applied Science and Technology Centre for Holland College. It has now upped its contribution to $20-million, which Holland College hopes to match to make the $40-million project a reality.

Construction will begin as soon as the plan received the green light from the City of Charlottetown. But it will take two to four years to complete the entire plan.

Ghiz said the provincial government is proud to partner with Holland College to improve training and educational opportunities for Islanders.

“Our support for the expansion of Holland College reflects a strong commitment by government to strengthening post-secondary education on Prince Edward Island,” said Ghiz.

“This investment in the future growth of Holland College will mean new facilities and increased training capacity that will benefit all of Prince Edward Island for generations to come.”

“Holland College and the Government of Prince Edward Island have been strong educational and economic development partners for many years, working together to provide education and training to thousands of Islanders,” said McMillan.

“The new facilities and renovations included in the Campus Development Plan are absolutely vital to the College’s ability to ensure our students have access to new technologies delivered in state of the art facilities. The college is tremendously grateful for the support the government is showing in the work that we do.”

Allan Campbell, minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning, said government has been working closely with Holland College to develop programming that reflects the needs of the labour market.

“Government has been working successfully with Holland College to develop training programs that will prepare Islanders for the jobs that exist in today’s labour market,” said Campbell.

“Investing in post-secondary education is a key component of our economic strategy. We are working to ensure that all Islanders have the training and education they need to take advantage of the opportunities in today’s economy.”

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 8:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Great stuff........$40M is a huge amount of money for a province of only 140,000 people. This will double the size of Holland College and give the place a real "university campus" feel. It will probably be the finest community college campus in the entire region.

I see from the plans that they will be closing off one block of Cumberland Street. This shouldn't affect traffic flow too much as that section of the city is pretty quiet anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the CBC.ca article on the Holland College expansion......

Holland College expansion to transform campus

A $40-million expansion of the Charlottetown campus of Holland College will transform two city blocks and accommodate hundreds of new students.

"Today represents an historic date in the life of this great college," college president Brian MacMillan said at the announcement Friday.

"This development plan is absolutely vital to the college's ability to respond to industry's increasing demand for training and innovation."

The changes include improvements to the Weymouth Street entrance and a major building on the block contained by Grafton, Kent, Weymouth and Edward streets.

A new science and technology centre has already been announced for this block. Announced Friday was an expansion to the campus residence and a Centre for Community Engagement, which will include the college's first full-size gymnasium.

"Our students will be able to use the recreational space in this new centre, to host maybe children or youth from the community, and we could run programs," said MacMillan.

"That would be a nice way for them to get their training skills but also allow us to give something back to the community."

The basketball team is also excited about the new gym.

"They'll have a place on campus that they can call their own. Probably make it a little easier for fans to attend," said Holland College Hurricanes coach George Morrison.

The new buildings and green space will go on what is now a parking lot, and about a dozen homes will be moved. But there are no major complaints from the residents. Mark Brown feels the $100,000 he got for his two-bedroom house was more than fair.

"Like a lottery win I guess. It was pretty exciting for everybody in the neighbourhood," said Brown.

The province is picking up $28.5 million of the $40-million cost. The rest will be raised from corporations, foundations and other levels of government.

Holland College turned away more than 800 applicants last year, and not because they weren't qualified. It simply lacked the space to take them in. MacMillan said the expansion should accommodate that demand.

If everything goes smoothly at city council for re-zoning the property, the college intends to start construction in September. The expansion should take about two years to complete.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:59 AM

HC expansion, parking?

Monctonrad,

Nice to see this kind of construction. I'm a graduate of HC and UPEI.
It was my HC schooling that opened the doors for jobs including the one I have now.
There is a concern however. I know several people who work across the street from this and they tell me that the present parking lot they have, it's a hard time finding a place to park as it is. What is it going to be like when that parking lot disappears? Their concerns are warranted. Hopefully there is underground parking in the plan. However, I haven't seen any proposed.
It will all come out during the next City council meeting I'm sure.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm an old UPEI grad too (before heading off to Dalhousie for my 2nd degree).

I'm glad to see the Holland College campus get this attention. I'm old enough to remember when this used to be Prince of Wales College; briefly a degree granting university in it's own right before the forced amalgamation with St. Dunstan's University to create UPEI in 1969. I have often thought that this campus has been somewhat neglected ever since. This injection of new investment into the campus is much needed and I really appreciate that the renderings show that the project will have considerable architectural integrity.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 6:00 PM

Province issues tender for new Stratford school

The province issued a tender today for preliminary work on the new Grades 4 to 6 facility at Glen Stewart Elementary in Stratford.

The plan to build the new facility was announced in June by Premier Robert Ghiz following a recommendation from the Eastern School District.

The 54, 000 square foot facility will have capacity for 420 students and will ease demands for space at Glen Stewart.

“Our goal is to give Island students the best possible education,” says Premier Robert Ghiz. “This new facility will alleviate the pressing need for space, and it will provide an excellent environment for learning.”

The estimated cost of the new school is $8 million. The tender issued today includes site work and foundation construction. A second tender will be issued in early September for the rest of the building. Construction will be completed by the start of the 2010 school year.

“I am pleased to see the initial tendering of this important project,” says Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Gerard Greenan.

“This is an important first step in the construction of this new facility for the Grades 4 to 6 students at Glen Stewart School.”

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 6:29 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

IF they were ambitious, they could put a couple levels of underground parking under the entire site, creating ample parking space while maximizing green space.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:55 PM

Parking

mylesmalley,

Your right on the underground parking but there doesn't seem to any mention of it. I know the employees at Purity Dairy across the street are always having problems finding a place to park. During the summer, some park in the present parking lot but that will soon change.
I just don't know where the new students will park, not unless they enlarge the parking lot across from Glendenning Hall on Grafton St.
It will be interesting to see what city council will have to say and what the locals will have to say about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces