HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Nothing but complaints about them from clients I've dealt with over the years. Granted they were fine 10, 15 years ago, but nowadays their services are literally not up to speed. They need a massive infrastructure upgrade in their end.
I have fibre internet service from Xplor (formerly Swift) at my rural Tache home with zero complaints. 250/250 service that never stutters. Wireless is a whole other can of beans. Valley fibre is doing most of the other fibre roll out in the area and having lots of issues and complaints.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 11:56 PM

I ran capacity factor calcs on Lake Manitoba's wind energy potential. It hit 44% for August. Typical wind capacity factor is ~40%. So Lake MB is a good viable wind resource.

Only thing I don't like about wind is the length of unpredictable lulls. But it's cheap AF. The cheapest LCOE of any source. Cedar Lake Pumped-Hydro needs to happen in tandem with Lake MB wind. I rechecked those Cedar Lake calcs too, they're accurate.

Cedar Lake = Roughly 500GWh storage. It'd be one of the the largest pumped hydro in the world by capacity.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 9:12 PM

This is wild. I was surfing California's live wholesale electricity pricing. Every dot on this map is selling power at NEGATIVE prices. The most negative is -$0.13/kwh (aka -$130/MWh).

So if you own storage, they PAY YOU to take the electricity off their hands. Then PAY YOU to buy it back at peak demand prices later. It's an infinite money glitch. And it's real.

This is a normal market condition down there, due to high solar/wind usage and a lack of storage. Big supply/demand discrepancies. Combine this with the inelasticity of electricity prices and you get negative pricing during high supply, and sky rocketing prices during demand surges. Spikes like you can't even fathom. And as the electrification transition progresses, this will only get worse. The less storage and stability of that grid, the crazier those buy/sell spreads widen. When more storage comes online, buy/sell spreads narrow and stabilize. It's a simple pricing signal.

This is why I'm so bullish on Cedar Lake Pumped-Hydro Storage. By having large storage available, Manitoba capitalizes on these wild pricing inefficiencies that exist from wind/solar. Big money to be made.

View the live price map here if you wish: https://www.caiso.com/todays-outlook/prices

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan