HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:38 PM
Urban Advocate

There is a consensus on seeing this go ahead I've heard, but just no $$$ right now to do it.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 11:16 PM

(Feeling saucy/bored enough today to stop lurking and contribute...)

I really wish they had managed to pull it off a little bit earlier. I'm currently waiting to hear back on applications to masters programs in planning in Montreal and Halifax. Not that moving to Montreal for a few years is horrible, but the planning issues in Edmonton are different. It would be really nice to have some more local research and commentary on planning issues. And it can't be good that people who are interested in pursuing planning dont really have the option to stay for school...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 12:11 AM
Urban Advocate

I know exactly how you feel, and can mention dozens of other Edmontonians who faced similar circumstances and left for other planning school of choice because of the lack of one at U of A.

Check out UWaterloo.... I am a little bias now perhaps, but I'd say one of the best options in the country for grad and undergrad options in planning. PM me if you want to chat.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 7:11 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
There is a consensus on seeing this go ahead I've heard, but just no $$$ right now to do it.
That is what I am hearing as well...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:18 PM

It would seem to make sense. Who in University governance wouldn't support this in principle. The only problem is lack of $$ to see it go ahead yet. And that's how one can support it without actually supporting it.

I am predicting it will get built by mid-decade as the economy improves and the UofA ramps up with a few other projects as well.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:29 PM
Community Guy

Planning and a school of Archimatecture would be a huge huge win for this fair city.

We lose a ton of people to the east or west and many do not return.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Check out UWaterloo.... I am a little bias now perhaps, but I'd say one of the best options in the country for grad and undergrad options in planning. PM me if you want to chat.
Thanks! Will do. That is a program that kind of slipped under my radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naidoo View Post
I am predicting it will get built by mid-decade as the economy improves and the UofA ramps up with a few other projects as well.
I hope so. I assume after a few years of planning I will be disillusioned enough to retreat and hide in academia for the rest of my life anyways. Would be nice to have somewhere to go.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:34 AM

I left because of the lack of a school of architecture and it is really quite sad that a city of a million people and Canada's second largest English speaking University can't seem to support one.......but I might come back to Edmonton.....maybe.

No doubt it would be a huge asset to the city. Huge. Especially if you want a broader conversation and to combat the ugly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevvac View Post
Canada's second largest English speaking University
2nd largest in terms of what? Students? Operating budget? Area? It is 4th in students to UofT, York and UBC.

The UofA is however 2nd to UofT in research funding, and 1st in research dollars per graduate student.

It's not that the university is incapable of supporting such a school, over 80 years ago it did have an arch school. It's just that the university, province and federal government believed (and likely still believe) that basic science, medicine and engineering are higher funding priorities (whether one agrees with these priorities or not; over the last century funding for basic science has easily proven to have the highest impact on society - even impacts and enables fields like arch and planning).

I could also turn it around and say that it's pretty fantastic that city of a million people, in a relatively tiny province (by pop) has produced one of the best chemistry and virology depts in the world, so....

Anyways, this will get done.

Last edited by naidoo; Jan 16, 2011 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:21 AM

I thought the U was second in terms of students behind U of T but a quick check and you're right. And while I must agree architecture is both an applied art and science, (and therefore is impacted by science), it is at our peril that we make science, engineering and medicine priorities alone. (Don't get me wrong I think these fields are very important). Having been in many cities in which architecture and planning are given a greater importance, the quality of life in those cities tends to be higher. Make no mistake architecture is not just about making something pretty, when practiced at a higher level there are many considerations being made over and above aesthetics. But in Edmonton it seems this is the bulk of the discussion as, well obviously, architecture is being practiced in Edmonton at a pretty poor level comparatively. Anyways, end rant, but having locally trained architects/planners and having students studying the urban morphology, climate, culture, etc. would only benefit the city.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

U of A science has new 'global stage'
Centennial Centre promises to attract top researchers

Andrea Sands
Edmonton Journal

Thursday, September 15, 2011

A state-of-the-art building that stemmed from a need to accommodate more undergraduate science students will attract world-class talent to Edmonton, the University of Alberta's dean of science said Wednesday.

University officials showed off the new Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Science on Wednesday. It officially opens next week and is located just south of Saskatchewan Drive facing the university quad...

asands@edmontonjournal.com @Ansands
© Edmonton Journal 2011

Copyright © 2011 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...10f99&sponsor=

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:50 PM

http://www.planetizen.com/node/52753

U of A looking to hire somebody work on development and delivery of an accredited planning program.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 11:03 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Yup. This is a very, very important program given the demand for planners in this province.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:45 PM

Medical experts connect and share at new Edmonton clinic
Facility brings wide variety of disciplines together under one roof

Jodie Sinnema
Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

When Jane Drummond trained as a nurse, she practised giving needles to a beef roast or an orange before she had to help real patients.

She trained separately from doctors, pharmacists and other health-care professionals and had to learn on the job how to work in a team.

Forty years later, now vice-provost of the Health Sciences Council, Drummond has helped create the new Edmonton Clinic Health Academy, the newest education and training building on the University of Alberta campus, where nurses have access to laboratories equipped with mannequins and cameras, and where dietitians, occupational therapists, dentists and pediatricians practise team care in simulated doctors' offices.

At a cost of almost $500 million, the 152,400-square-metre space was built at 87th Avenue and 114th Street, west of the University of Alberta Hospital, to encourage students from different health professions to mingle in computer labs, over coffee and in research teams. They will still take separate classes in different lecture halls, but Drummond says interdisciplinary work is vital to address complex health concerns such as poor health outcomes for immigrants or aboriginals and the growing obesity epidemic. Only by working together can they determine how to improve access to primary care and hospitals...

jsinnema@edmontonjournal.com

twitter.com/jodiesinnema
© Edmonton Journal 2012

Copyright © 2012 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...d3bb4&sponsor=

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 1:45 PM

New Stollery ER designed to put young patients at ease

Nicki Thomas
Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

An emergency room just for kids was unveiled Monday at the Stollery Children's Hospital.

Brightly coloured, with chairs wide enough for both parent and child and a play area for patients and their siblings, the $26.3-million expansion is intended to provide a more welcoming environment for families.

Tiffany Keiller knows the emergency room experience all too well; her two young daughters have made nine visits between them for everything from a peanut allergy to asthma to an enlarged heart...

nthomas@edmontonjournal.com twitter.com/nmtho
© Edmonton Journal 2012

Copyright © 2012 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...f10fa&sponsor=

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:12 PM
Clearshades

Yeah...no more tents lol!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:50 PM

It will be interesting to see how South Campus pans out over the next little while...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 2:26 PM
Community Guy

Well they sure are off to a good start with their remote northern warehouse facilities.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:02 PM
DRINK

yup. I fear they will never be able to come close to matching the awesomeness of the main campus. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:04 PM
Community Guy

^i dont think that is possible nor the intent... it should forge its own path, shame that path is a cold street in alert.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton